FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I did the ride over on a set of PR2s.

Swapped out for a new rear in Albuquerque and am back in West Palm after 11.4k rally. Front has at least 10k left on it. The rear looks to do another 5k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Michelin Pilot Road 4 for the IBR, my route was 9000 miles.

Bobby J's Yamaha kept a spare set of tires for me during the event, and I had them change the tires and fluids before I rode home to Syracuse, NY.

I probably could have gone home on the rally tires, they looked like they could have made another 2000 miles, but I'd already bought the tires.....

I don't remember seeing any aftermarkets other than a Russell but we were busy trying to find an FJR with a motorcycle tire on the back.
Warchild was keeping track of who was darksiding it when we checked in for tech. I figured he was going to find some way of punishing us... maybe that is still coming! He was rather disappointed when I told him I was running the CT and I'm guessing all the darksiders got the same disgusted face. I couldn't resist commenting on how things have changed since 2011 when we were told if any FJRs showed up with CTs he flunk us at tech... he wasn't impressed
unknw.gif

When I showed up Thursday before the start I didn't see a single MC tire in the lot on an FJR... Lipps and I were sitting out front watching everyone roll in Thursday afternoon and I think you or Warchild were the 1st FJRs to show with a MC tire. I'm guessing it ended up about 50/50 but it was a good source of humor for a day or two noting it was easier to count FJRs with MC tires than darksiders.

He was rather disappointed when I told him I was running the CT and I'm guessing all the darksiders got the same disgusted face. I couldn't resist commenting on how things have changed since 2011 when we were told if any FJRs showed up with CTs he flunk us at tech... he wasn't impressed
unknw.gif
I couldn't resist going up to him at the Seattle IBR start and saying to him, "Hey, I hear you're the expert on car tires on FJR's - can you give me some pointers?" I'm pretty sure his look at me was worse than disgusted. LOL :)

I know you're all going through withdrawal with the completion of the Iron Butt Rally.

I know you're thinking - wow - that rally game sure looks fun. I want to try it, but I'm not sure about 11 days.

Here's your answer - an 8 hour rally. It works a lot like the IBR - earn points for visiting bonuses - but it's compressed. And it's designed with the beginner in mind. You don't need two GPSes, or even one. You don't need a fuel cell, aux lights, or a tank bag full of jerky. You just need a motorcycle and a camera.

Go here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/164453-nopolio-8hr-rally-folsomroseville-sept-12/

You going to have a group Spot page for it Jerry so we can follow along?

And how about a daily report?

Also don't forget the pre-rally rally report.

In all seriousness I've heard some of those short rallys are a hoot. Actually I've talked my wife into riding a 10 hr rally with me later this month.

Have fun with it.

You know what is the worst thing about being out of work for a long time is?

You have no routine that keeps you conscious of the days of the week or what is going on each month.
uhoh.gif

You become lazy
lazy.gif
and don't keep up with what is going on in the world or on the forum.

Then you turn around one day and realize it is the end of July and for the first time since joining the forum . . . . .

you have missed the Iron Butt Rally!
poster_oops.gif
sorry.gif
banghead.gif
character0029.gif

It's ok Mike. Just start reading from Page one. It'll be like it's happening right in front of you. Click all the links for daily postings, virtual maps and pictures. By mid-August, you won't have missed a thing.

Zilla,

What I really need is a job so I can read it at work like I did for the previous rallies to get the full experience. You don't think spending a week reading the rally thread instead of working could have anything to do with losing my job in 2013 do you?

Thanks all for the comments.

Chris, welcome aboard. Congrats on the 3 digit number and the finish. Another bright side is that you avoided mention in the daily reports until the very end! Perhaps the next bike will have ABS?
Thanks. That was already in my plans. This just reinforced the decision. The problem is I like my Sportster too much and it is only just getting broken in with only 158,000 miles on it.

Hey folks, Steve McCaa here. Thanks for the kind words on the blog. I encourage anyone considering the rally to take a read. I'll be sprinkling my reports with words of wisdom (or folly, you decide) for anyone considering the ride. I do apologize for the length, I try to keep the daily posts to 750-1000 words, but the whole thing isn't done yet and it's taking LOT longer to do than I initially envisioned.
Thanks again!

Steve
Just a bump in case anyone hasn't found this blog yet... it is fantastic reading and kind of like reliving the rally all over again but from one of the rider's vantage points...
punk.gif

https://mccaa.com/

Organizing my photos from the rally. Myself and another FJR about to begin the odo check:

By the way, completely jealous of his mirrors as I did nothing but look at my elbows for the entire rally....

I think that is Gregg Lenentine??
Are you arguing over who is going to lead?
That is Gregg. He had just messed up his first attempt at the odo check and was explaining to me what lane to be in at the I-25/I-40 interchange when coming back. I just nodded my head and then followed him blindly, assuming that someone who just messed it up once HAD to get it right the second time
smile.png

In all seriousness I've heard some of those short rallys are a hoot. Actually I've talked my wife into riding a 10 hr rally with me later this month.
Have fun with it.
I can't wait to wax your @$$
smile.png
and Behmers
punk.gif

See you in Lakeville
bike.gif

Hey folks, as most of my visitors are from this site, thought I'd let you know that I just put up another installment on the blog.

Taking more time than I originally anticipated.

www.mccaa.com

Thanks!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.