FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. John H has done an excellent job as this year's Scribe and I tip my hat to him.

My version of it would have been something as mundane as "tick tock... you're on the clock". Repeated non-stop for 11 days. But that's the difference between being a rider in the IBR (and what is in your head ALL THE FRICKING TIME) vs being the Rally Scribe.

I've thanks you many times already but you deserve at least one more, John.

Thank you, the IBA owners and handlers, and the rally staff and volunteers for making this another great event.

https://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/2019/2019IBR_Saturday29_Epilogue.pdf

"At this point at the Finisher’s Banquet on Friday night, the cheering crowd was drowning out Jeff’s announcement of the 2019 winner. What Jeff tried to say, and almost no one heard: “When you look up epic ride in the dictionary, you should be directed to this rider’s Spot track. She did nearly a full lap of the U.S. and Canada. Starting with Flamingo, Florida, and Why, Arizona, she then rolled up to run the Columbia River, hike to Skookumchuck, cross to Vancouver Island for Port Hardy, stop back in Kennewick Sunday night for big points, then back across the breadth of the continent to the Gaspe Peninsula. And by the way, she visited Acadia National Park and Mt. Washington for extra grins on her Thursday return to the finish.” With a massive 12,998.9 mile, brilliantly executed ride on a well-worn Yamaha FJR1300 (finishing its 5th IBR), Wendy Crockett became the first woman to win of the Iron Butt Rally.
It was noted earlier in this report that Wendy and Ian were at the Gaspe bonus together. What was not mentioned, was Ian skipped the return to Kennewick and should have had about an 8-hour lead on Wendy, who did return to Kennewick for the big points there. For her to make up that time deficit and reach the mouth of the St. Lawrence at the same time as Ian was quite a feat, but having that extra rest in the Kennewick hotel no doubt helped.
For some perspective on the points and magnitude of Wendy’s win, only 9079 points separated 5th place from 2nd place. Wendy was in a class by herself with a gap of 10,438 points above 2nd place. Some keyboard rider on Facebook claimed Wendy put a stake through the heart of Jeff with her ride. He could not have been more mistaken. We expected the top riders would all be close, within a few points. That is one of the reasons for the many small gas receipt bonuses, to serve as potential tie breakers. No one, not even Jeff, had any idea what the winning path would be or who would be able to pull it off. There were just so many ways to get to a winner level combination of points. So many paths, each just as good as the next. For one rider to figure out a sequence to amass over 10,000 more points than the very strong second place effort was amazing. Then to be able to ride that route and execute the critical timing necessary to pull it off was masterful. Contrary to feeling a stake through his chest, Jeff’s heart was full of pride for Wendy and her ability to solve his puzzle. Impressive just does not do her ride justice." by John H

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it because people have their lives too?
download.jpg

If y'all find IBR ride reports from the competitors, please post links here.

(Thanks!)

Lyle Monroe gave me permission to share his post to LDRider/IBDone.

In the 2019 IBR Epilog, John made reference to my rally number and my Dad. It was taken from short conversation David E.B. Smith and I had while he was scoring me at the end of IBR. Currently working on my IBR write up, working on the outline anyway, but wanted to expand a little about the number.

Shortly after Lisa Landry stood up and completed her house keeping announcements, she said, for this IBR Rally Numbers were assigned based on current IBA number. Thinking, wonder if there is a chance I could get 37; wow that could be cool.

Growing up Dad always had a race car. Some of my first memories as small kid are around the bomber Dad drove running the number 9. Found out years later that was for the day I was born, 9 Dec. That number was on all the cars until we had to move for Dad’s work. This would be the only time there wasn’t a race car in the garage, or the yard. But this was only to last two years.

We then moved back to Illinois, back in to the same house even, and it didn’t take long before there was a new to us race car in the garage. Unfortunately the number 9 was not available for use at the local track, so Dad had to change to another number. The decision was made to use Dad’s age as his new number, so number 37 was now ours.

Several cars in several classes were to have that number. From the Bomber class, a Silver Crown car, Midgets, Sprints, but mostly late models. Oh, the cars Dad built. A 1969 Camaro SS, 1971 Mustang Mach 1, and a few late model 69 – 71 Chevelles. Then he moved on to the all store bought chassis Late Models.

As my brothers and I grew older we didn’t spend as much time in the garage, but Dad could always be found there when he wasn’t at work. I joined the Army in 1975, my youngest brother, Mike in 1979, and our racing was over for a while. During our military adventures my middle brother, Bob, began racing his own car and of course Dad was there to offer advice and assistance. And as if policy dictated it had to run the number 37.

In the mid 90’s my brother and I both retired from the military and moved back home for a while. Later I moved to Nashville, but my younger brother stayed in Illinois.

While my brother and I were out of the house Dad was working on one of our old cars for the High School Shop Teacher to drive. The auto shop students would come over and help Dad in the garage for class time credit. Around this time Dad and my brother bought a new chassis for a Modified. Modified’s had become the in between class that the local track had taken to running. We, as a lot of others, had been priced out of the Late Model class. All of them had engines that cost more then what we could budget to run the full year.

After Dad retired the first thing he did every morning was walk out to the garage to open the doors. A garage that by then consisted of 8 bays, 3 race cars, and a frame jig used to build a new chassis. More often than not he could be found spending most of the day sitting at his desk in the corner reading race car setup guides, or tinkering on what he was still physically capable of doing on the cars.

My brother Mike was racing and putting in more money than he really should have been, (don’t tell his wife), but it was no longer enough to keep his and the School car running. Talked with Dad about running a second car for me to drive, but Dad thought I should repair and start with the old school car. So, that winter we prepared the two cars for the first spring practice.

That required a drive from Nashville, TN, to Jerseyville, IL EVERY Friday evening after work or early Saturday morning. During the race season, especially the year they ran on Sunday Night, I would drive directly to work from the track. But dad, being Dad, would take the car home and beat out all the dents and cut out and replace the broken pieces I had successfully destroyed that night and have it ready for me again the next weekend.

My Dad, Mike, and I did this for several years before Dad was no longer able to go with us to the track, but even then he made sure everything was ready when I would arrive on Friday night.

That was the last year Mike and I raced. Dad was diagnosed with cancer and the prognosis was not good. Even with that he could be found in the garage any day that his illness would allow.

Dad died a month before the 17 IBR, I had a difficult time with that ride and was just happy to end up a finisher.

All of this is going through my mind as Lisa Landry calls, Lyle Monroe, number 37.

Hey Dad, for 2019 IBR we are number 37…

Lyle Monroe, Jr.

2019 IBR Rider #37

IBA #525

I really like this young fellow and his efferts. And with the color of his rims, you knew it was him coming down the road.

"Piloting a motorcycle over 10,383 miles in 11 days is no small feat. Riding the full length of the Columbia River and the Mississippi River in 11 days is no small feat either. Throw in a nice day hike to Skookumchuck Rapids and do all of those things in 2019 on a motorcycle built in 1983? A motorcycle with carb problems which resulted in a soaked the paper air filter and slowed the bike down to 40 mph until the rider figured out what was happening. With no stock filter available, the rider installed an Under Armour sock in place of the filter and restored the performance. Fortunately, socks come in pairs, as one more filter change was necessary before the end of the rally. Having to overcome such things on a 38-yearold 650cc bike is not unusual. But doing all that and still finishing 10th in the IBR is unusual, but it is exactly what Dylan Spink did."

Heres my interview with Wendy:https://www.longridersradio.com/podcast/78-2019-iron-butt-rally-winner-wendy-crockett

Enjoy-

Justin
You seem to have this talent for interviewing down pat Justin. Well done. Really enjoyed hearing what Wendy had to say. She’s a class act. Had the pleasure of waiting for the ferry down in Alabama with her and Eeksnake.

Status
Not open for further replies.