FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarifications below, all questions snipped ...

russperry posted: ... did you omit the Harley contingent on purpose?
No, just pulled the top five, which was enough to get to BMW. We pile on Beemers far quicker than we pile on Harleys, as the IBR reporters have, and I was attempting to get something factual as a basis for hammering them. For the record, the H-D Finish Percent is 69.8%, only slightly below BMW. And ANYONE who rides ANY motorbike more than 500 miles from home gets my respect.

SBennett posted: ... According to the IBR Rules, the Rider's score is reduced by 50 percent.
Different type of scoring, and I posted that rule, along with its very significant footnote, a page or two ago. This post refers to the Finish Percent for manufacturers. The question is this: If a rider starts on a BMW, but finishes on a Yamaha FJR, does Yamaha get credit as a "finisher" in the manufacturer calculations? (See the link in my original post.) Don't think it really matters; the point was that BMW is #5 in Finish Percent, and yet remains the overwhelming bike of choice for the past few IBRs. Oh yeah, and Yamaha is #1 in Finish Percent -- FJRs and Super Tens ... any other Yammies been in an IBR?

steve_g posted: DNFs are not necessarily machine failures ...
All true. There are many reasons why riders don't finish, including tire failure, illness, fatigue, and missing a checkpoint window. To do a more accurate analysis requires data that isn't available, and maybe not tracked by the IBA at all. (Do they track the reason for a DNF?) Anecdotal evidence from the past three IBRs shows an unfortunate pattern of BMW mechanical failures -- to me, anyway.

Just reporting what I could find, and I still stand behind Yamaha's reputation for reliability under the most demanding circumstances.

As I've posted elsewhere, when you wake up five states away from home and you absolutely have to get back tonight, an FJR will get you there.

47952461267_15672095e3_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to RFlagg42, earthrooster, slatonp4, Kendoo, and TripperMike, all FJRForum members! (And apologies to those I left out ... it's hard for me to correlate real names to screen names.)

Congratulations Wendy! Go Wendy! Go FJR!

Gen1 FJRs are the best, the 05 FJR even better, and Wendy has proven she is the best of us all!

PS- To those BMW kool-aid drinkers (one specifically) nobody remembers second place, or fourth, or fifth, or seventh. Nobody!! Put that in your final drive and smoke it!! ;)

YAY, WENDY !!

Kudos to a great rider and all-around great person!

Way to go Wendy!

You FJR folks are great folks. Thanks for letting me hang out again for the rally. I hope y'all are still here in 2021.

I shall follow the links to a spotwalla donation.

Ride safe and take care, KHILL

Congrats to Wendy. Maybe somebody can get her to post a few word here about her strategy/planning. (But maybe not if she is going to run again in 2021).

Poor BMW folks. You are getting picked on. A thought. The stats don't tell us anything about the age, maintenance, mileage or condition of the malfunctioning bikes.

I may be wrong but I think it's 3.

Freekin rock star she is.

Congratulations Wendy,

Dave

Would be great to hear the riders stories of their adventures!

Congrats to Wendy. Maybe somebody can get her to post a few word here about her strategy/planning. (But maybe not if she is going to run again in 2021).Poor BMW folks. You are getting picked on. A thought. The stats don't tell us anything about the age, maintenance, mileage or condition of the malfunctioning bikes.

Would be great to hear the riders stories of their adventures!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dlowrey" data-cid="1421016" data-time="1561780888"><p>

Congrats to Wendy. Maybe somebody can get her to post a few word here about her strategy/planning. (But maybe not if she is going to run again in 2021).<br />

<br />

Poor BMW folks. You are getting picked on. A thought. The stats don't tell us anything about the age, maintenance, mileage or condition of the malfunctioning bikes.</p></blockquote>
Some will do ride reports.

NOTE: Does not include 2019, and I have no idea how they score someone who starts on a BMW and switches to an FJR mid-rally.
I would say that would count toward BMW but the swapped-to bike wouldn't add or subtract from your stats. It would be a stat of those that started and failed vs started and finished

Congrats to Wendy. Maybe somebody can get her to post a few word here about her strategy/planning. (But maybe not if she is going to run again in 2021).
Poor BMW folks. You are getting picked on. A thought. The stats don't tell us anything about the age, maintenance, mileage or condition of the malfunctioning bikes.
age, mileage, condition should all be a wash. maintenance (which i see as Rider error) shouldn't reflect on the bike. anyone who has invested thousands of dollars and months of prep time should show up at the start with a bike (of any brand) in the best shape it can possibly be. so, in the end, all those issues fall by the wayside and are discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.