FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point - Owens has his particular bike sorted, or has figured out how to protect his rides from the gremlins that have dashed the hopes of other's on the brand. Or maybe he's just had good eggs. From the sidelines, the poor performance trend of the brand would carry more weight that the accomplishments of one riders bike for me.
Owens has had a DNF. I think it was the transmission in an 1150RT. Don't remember the year. Maybe 05?

There will definately be a few pushing that 10:00 window. I hope there is a clear entry into the parking lot. It's going to be very close.

How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats, probably won't know until tomorrow morning who won this rally unless your at the banquet.
He's not immune - he had a transmission failure on an RT in the 05 rally that cost him the win. And he buys new bikes every few years so it's not like he's riding a older sorted bike. He's on a 2018 R1200RT this year that I believe he bought at the beginning of last year. So he rode the Mason Dixon 20/20, the Buttlite 9, and the Cognoscente rally on the same bike. Plus this years Mason Dixon 20/20 and now the IBR.

And at the beginning of next year he'll probably buy a R1250RT. He says he just LOVES the RT platform. Fits him and his riding style well.

Now that the Spotwalla page is frozen and we wait for the banquet and results... After 11 days of following the ups and downs of the IBR now your revved up to try this rally thing. There are several options out there Team Strange has three of them; Want to dive right into to multi day rallying the 5 day 2020 Butt Lite X application process is still open until 7/30/19. Looking to just dabble a toe in the rally waters 8/24/19 will be the 8 hour Team Paula Rally a great event raising money for a great cause. Something in between? The 2020 Minnesota 2000 a two day event celebrating the most loved and most loathed Team Strange bonuses in our 25 year history. Read all about it... https://www.teamstrange.com

Some of the folks I am personally tracking are all checked in, including Wendy Crockett, Jim Owen and Eric Bray.
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point in time, one hour until the Penalty Window opens, Spotwalla lag becomes pronounced. Except for those who are obviously too far away ( greater than 3 hours), you just can't rely on Spotwalla for pinpoint accuracy.
And there is another good reason why the public spot is delayed at the end of the rally. We don't want the pundits and critics out there to know the real amount of time that it took some of these riders to get from let say New Orleans to Greenville. Or lets say make the last hundred miles into the barn. So it good to slow down the spot towards the end.

How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats, probably won't know until tomorrow morning who won this rally unless your at the banquet.
So he rode the Mason Dixon 20/20, the Buttlite 9, and the Cognoscente rally on the same bike. Plus this years Mason Dixon 20/20 and now the IBR.
He rode it 2-up in the Rock n Ride this spring also.

My bike didn't start the rally but it appears it will finish it! Go JD Smith!
Of course, now you MUST bring that bike to EOM, SFO, WFO, CFO, CFR and probabaly a couple of other 'meetings' so we can touch your sacred Yamaha icon.
So does this suddenly increase its value? Can I now charge people to sit on it or ride it? Are there going to be sponsorship offers to cover my costs of bringing it to event? Hmmm.......

HIGHLANDER posted: What does Road FM 170 look like on the Texas / Mexico border ? A few riders are picking off Baquillas overlook as a Bonus ? It must be hotter than blazes down there, and it’s not easy to get there either.
Bounce, with an incredible ability to remember Texas back roads, replied: Heading from East (Terlingua) to West (Presidio) there is a section that can catch riders unawares. Running that way, an observant rider will see a crest in the road and nothing past the rise. More than one rider has been a little less than prudent and not scrubbed off a lot of speed before heading into the unknown. On the other side of the crest is a quick elevation change (hence the lack of visibility) along with a hard left (I think it's also off camber). So you're in negative Gs while also needing that lost traction to try and cling to a hard left, off-camber turn.
It's about 2 miles east of Lajitas.

GoogleMap
Link didn't work for me. Maybe this link does. Click along the roadway in the distance, and you go over a rise and onto a steep downslope with a sharp left-hander.

I suspect Senor Bounce remembers it because of a few uneasy moments of personal experience.

Fixed the link. Sorry.

You are right. Even when scrubbing off speed because I couldn't tell what was on the other side of the crest in the road, it was still pucker-ish.

11:15 am Eastern Daylight Time ...

... and there are still around 15 bikes heading to the Greenville Marriott. Here's hoping Warchild was understating the longer delays in Spotwalla postings near the finish time.

Oops. Didn't read Mr. Corwin's post until after I spouted off.

I really like the roll that FJR Forum has taken in getting this level of coverage for Iron Butt Rallies every year. It will be a sad day when the forum has to shut down because the owner of the hardware retired and no one stepped in to take new ownership.

We'll all have a big empty void for the 2021 IBR.

Folks...while we wait to hear the results and stories of the 2019 IBR, now's a great time to point your browser over to Spotwalla and make a donation. Spotwalla changed the way we enjoy our rides and rallies and allows us to save the tracks indefinitely, something the SPOT corporation never did. Help Jason Jonas, developer and operator of Spotwalla, keep this wonderful tool publicly available and free.

https://www.spotwalla.com/help/index.php#donate

Folks...while we wait to hear the results and stories of the 2019 IBR, now's a great time to point your browser over to Spotwalla and make a donation. Spotwalla changed the way we enjoy our rides and rallies and allows us to save the tracks indefinitely, something the SPOT corporation never did. Help Jason Jonas, developer and operator of Spotwalla, keep this wonderful tool publicly available and free.
Done and a great reminder!

Also done. Also, thanks for the reminder, BIODSL.

I really like the roll that FJR Forum has taken in getting this level of coverage for Iron Butt Rallies every year. It will be a sad day when the forum has to shut down because the owner of the hardware retired and no one stepped in to take new ownership.
We'll all have a big empty void for the 2021 IBR.
I'm sorry to see this - if the time comes to pass the hat, I'm in even though I'm only an IBR visitor. This site's IBR coverage is one of the things that got me into riding LD rallies, I owe y'all at least that much.

if I had the gear and the know-how, I'd host it myself... just so I could nuke all the anti-BMW cracks and zot the people who post them

How does second place feel, that's not a defensive comment, as Owens takes a third crown to add to his already record breaking feats...
Owens might arguably be in a league all of his own.

Something to contemplate, while one starts trenching the Bavarian defensive...

When a well prepped and executed rider/bike combo wins the IBR. Is it mostly because of the bike?

Similarly - when multiple well prepped rider/bike combos - blow out spectacularly due to bike failures. Is it mostly because of the riders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts