FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the bikes in Burns made the decision to take 78 to 95 to Winnemucca. Another is taking Hwy 20 to Ontario and then it will be a straight shot down I-84. A third has yet to decide.

Burns to Ontario to Provo = 565 miles

Burns to Winnemucca to Provo = 611 

EDIT: I should add that 78 and 95 in Oregon would not be patrolled. Full speed ahead.

John’s dad (Charlie Coons) is on the job of tracking down a replacement. He is well connected in the BMW world. Fingers crossed Team Coons can get it swapped In Time to get John back to Provo for the finish!
Charlie somehow kept John's old RS held together all those years. If anyone can figure it out, it'd be him. 

The bike near Grand Junction is going to be deep into penalty.  And the rider near Ely's not in much better shape. T-minus 3 hours and 50 minutes. 
Looks like that rider got the Project Rulison marker in Parachute CO. I thought I saw one earlier in the rally go there as well. 5 or so miles of normally not-so-bad dirt road to get there. Might be a little less fun at the end of day 11. Seems like he/she was there an unusually long time - maybe they are playing with the spots to trick us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Rulison

Not sure how it fits in with "Miles of Progress". That experiment kinda failed. :D

40 minutes until penalty starts and there are clearly some of those dots that are more than 40 minutes away from the finish...even with up to a 20 minute delay in reporting.  3-5 by my guess.  But the ones I see at this moment can all make it by 10 am MDT.

The question for me is how many of them are top dog riders that are going into penalty on purpose.

Likewise with risking a performance award.  Might a rider make a risk/reward decision at this point when it comes to interstate speeds and willing take the punishment if stopped?  Does the staff monitor his or her progress that closely?

Marc Beaulac and someone on a blue S10 made it with 3 minutes to spare!

Penalty window is now open.

EDIT: A poor woman in a car stopped in front of the hotel entrance and blocked the S10 from arriving. About 50 people starting yelling and waving for her to MOVE! She looked terrified and likely thought a riot was starting.

Marc Beaulac and someone on a blue S10 made it with 3 minutes to spare!

Penalty window is now open.

EDIT: A poor woman in a car stopped in front of the hotel entrance and blocked the S10 from arriving. About 50 people starting yelling and waving for her to MOVE! She looked terrified and likely thought a riot was starting.
I would sure love to see a video of them trying to get that woman to move.

An R1200RT just pulled in with half the fairing missing and pieces falling off even as the clock was stopped! Rider seemed uninjured thank goodness. Apparently he hit a deer recently. Maybe last night? It wasn't the time to ask.
Think that's Gary Huff. R1200RT street-fighter.