FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a KTM 300 2 stroke in the rally this year.  Hope it can survive.  Wonder how far he can go before filling up?  He has an hell of an aftermarket seat on.  Look in the IBR rally scribe notes to see pictures.

Many thanks for hosting the ride along again Ignacio!

First stop, Thurs Carmel, Indiana.  Working from home is definitely going to be more interesting the next week and a half.

There is a KTM 300 2 stroke in the rally this year.  Hope it can survive.  Wonder how far he can go before filling up?  He has an hell of an aftermarket seat on.  Look in the IBR rally scribe notes to see pictures.
KTMs are notorious for needing to strictly adhere to their maintenance schedule. I'll be surprised if he can pull it off.

The KTM 2 stroke rider's biggest problem may be finding 2 stroke oil. I rode an RD400 from Minneapolis to LA and back in '83 and found I could reliably find good 2 stroke oil at 7-11s until I got to Nevada where apparently 7-11s had a whole different standard inventory. Found oil OK elsewhere, though on the way back coming through Vegas I ended up waiting for a Yamaha dealer to open in the morning to get some oil. That was four decades ago when 2 stroke oil was more common, these days I wonder if there's any 24-7 source of 2 stroke oil? 

I, too, rode a 2-stroke in the early 80’s and can attest to the added complexity of also finding 2-stoke oil in addition to gas on trips. I’d be toting about a gallon of it in reserve if I were him. Then again, a 40 year old 2-stroke bike was in the last two runnings and did just fine.

The somewhat scary gnome in the pictures is the mascot of Chris Comly riding his 2005 Harley Davidson Sportster and starting the vent with over 290k on the odometer.

Not sure of his range on this specific bike, but Michael Boge is no stranger to short ranges as he was the one that piloted a bike and sidecar to a respectable finish with both his wife and daughter onboard.  That bike didn't have a fuel cell either and he would stand at the station fueling up, decide if the wind was with him and estimate 100 mile range or against him and assume an 80 mile range.  He fueled up over 100 times on that rally.

Hot damn! Sounds like he'll have twice the range of his Harley hack rig and at the customary 1:50 ratio enough oil for a couple thousand miles. Then again, chain drive two strokes tend to consume a lot more fluids at highway speeds...

83 rider numbers and 75 riders. Is the difference the international contingent or did others have to drop?

Not sure of his range on this specific bike, but Michael Boge is no stranger to short ranges as he was the one that piloted a bike and sidecar to a respectable finish with both his wife and daughter onboard.  That bike didn't have a fuel cell either and he would stand at the station fueling up, decide if the wind was with him and estimate 100 mile range or against him and assume an 80 mile range.  He fueled up over 100 times on that rally.
The best my dirt bike gets is about 75 miles, that is not at half to full throttle miles on end.  Hope he has a couple of gallons of 2 smoke oil with him and a good ratio rite for measuring.

Followed up with Boge and he's running a 4.3 gallon IMS tank thats double stock size.. He says 200 mile range.

And he's packing one gallon of mix oil.

View attachment 251
One thing, he probably has the best suspension system.  His ride will be cush if the seat works out.  But it is easy to stand on the pegs and ride.   I bet that barn door of a windscreen will impact his mileage more than he thinks.