FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bass-boat-blue Gen 1. Thomasgif is running his first IBR. I sold him the Datel mirror, Tony the seat, etc.

Go Thomas!
I see he has the obligatory VStrom hand guards as well.  Do love those Gen1's.  Good to see a couple of them still in the game.  Worth keeping in mind that his bike is over 15 years old now. 

And I'm not saying anything negative.  I would enter my 2005 FJR Gen1 into a 3rd IBR in a heartbeat!

Would love to see pictures of all the FJR's entered this year.  A quick look at the starters list shows only 7 this year.  Looks like the various flavours of R1200 and the Goldwings are the predominate bikes this year.

- Colin

I see he has the obligatory VStrom hand guards as well.  Do love those Gen1's.  Good to see a couple of them still in the game.  Worth keeping in mind that his bike is over 15 years old now. 

And I'm not saying anything negative.  I would enter my 2005 FJR Gen1 into a 3rd IBR in a heartbeat!

Would love to see pictures of all the FJR's entered this year.  A quick look at the starters list shows only 7 this year.  Looks like the various flavours of R1200 and the Goldwings are the predominate bikes this year.

- Colin
I also noticed there were only 7 FJR, and 3 Super Ténéré.

For reasons completely self-centered (I own an S10), and being a Yamaha fan, I thought there'd be more of each this year.

The somewhat scary gnome in the pictures is the mascot of Chris Comly riding his 2005 Harley Davidson Sportster and starting the vent with over 290k on the odometer.
Actually it's a 2006 Sportster ( I have a 2005).  He did have a 2nd motor put in a few years ago, due to a mistake he made rebuilding the orig. motor

76 go North - 2 go South

I love it!

51262235408_5487ed1b35_m.jpg

Matt - thank you very much for your OP in this thread.  Extremely helpful for this "watcher".

Now to try and balance this with the rest of the world.

83 rider numbers and 75 riders. Is the difference the international contingent or did others have to drop?
I sat next to a scratch at the banquet last night. He hit a deer crossing Missouri on his way to the start. He flew out anyway crutches and all just to be there. 😃

Someone on a Harley lost a glove 5 sec into the rally! Provo's finest retrieved it and gave it to Lisa. Sigh!

I spotted several riders today going through the metropolis of Dayton, NV. It is the site of the first gold strike in Nevada not sure if that is the bonus though. Probably the monument to the Grave of the unknown Prospector which is at the intersection of 50 and 439 (US parkway) just guessing though. 

Joe

Any good pics on how that Busa is set up?

Also curious on his choice of tire.

Canadian FJR

Didn't notice anything really unusual. Sure is a good looking bike though!

The Busa is Mike Brooke's. There's actually is some pretty special stuff going on. The aux fuel cell is using up all the space in the sub-frame - that part you see is less than half of it. It's over 6 gallons total.

The headlights have been replaced with Clearwater LEDs (One Erica and one Sevina). There's also a set of Darla's molded in the rear view mirrors.

There's also the water "jug" mounted where the left muffler would go. As far as tires, he's running PR5's.

The Busa is Mike Brooke's. There's actually is some pretty special stuff going on. The aux fuel cell is using up all the space in the sub-frame - that part you see is less than half of it. It's over 6 gallons total.

The headlights have been replaced with Clearwater LEDs (One Erica and one Sevina). There's also a set of Darla's molded in the rear view mirrors.

There's also the water "jug" mounted where the left muffler would go. As far as tires, he's running PR5's.
I was at the start and had never seen the bike before.  Mike gave me a walk around and all I can say is the work is incredible. Except for the hydration system hanging where the left pipe would be, there's very little extra aero drag. Practically as slick as a stock 'Busa and, without a doubt, the most aerodynamic, purpose built, LD bike to every grace a rally starting line. Mike claims 44mpg at 'rally nominal'. 

I guess I got a little excited over it as Ignacio called me a 'fan boy'. 

I was at the start and had never seen the bike before.  Mike gave me a walk around and all I can say is the work is incredible. Except for the hydration system hanging where the left pipe would be, there's very little extra aero drag. Practically as slick as a stock 'Busa and, without a doubt, the most aerodynamic, purpose built, LD bike to every grace a rally starting line. Mike claims 44mpg at 'rally nominal'. 

I guess I got a little excited over it as Ignacio called me a 'fan boy'. 

As a previous Gen2 Busa rally bike rider , I'm also a "fan boy". But even with the air drag of aux lights, top case, tank etc, my Busa would get 40-45 MPG at rally nominal as well.

One thing, he probably has the best suspension system.  His ride will be cush if the seat works out.  But it is easy to stand on the pegs and ride.   I bet that barn door of a windscreen will impact his mileage more than he thinks.
11 days standing on pegs? Er...

I also noticed there were only 7 FJR, and 3 Super Ténéré.

For reasons completely self-centered (I own an S10), and being a Yamaha fan, I thought there'd be more of each this year.
IBR folk seem obsessed with BMWs regardless of their IBR history of leaving people stranded.