FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Special Notes for Participants and Watchers of this thread

1. The Iron Butt Rally is for the riders and not the followers. The organizers, volunteers, and all of us on this thread will be focused on rider needs and making sure they safely get home to their loved ones. While we have the privilege of a special virtual seat here, we're not going to add any drama that potentially distracts from riders' experience and safety...or the event organizers...or the stated goals of the Iron Butt Association.
  2. Rally participants will be off-line during the event, meaning they will not be on Facebook or other social media and will be limited only to communications that are allowed by the event rules and IBA staff. The rally bonuses will NOT be shared with anyone not participating in the rally so don't ask. Leave the riders alone; don't try to contact them or hunt them down to chat. They are on the clock and are focused on one thing and one thing only.
  3. For riders support request, please create another thread in this area. Riders need tires, parts, spare bike, spare things, etc.....please create a separate thread and do not cross-posted to this analysis/tracking thread.
In the past IBR threads (over 10 years worth, starting in 2007 IBR), we have tried to keep the threads up-to-date and current as much as possible with facts, inside details from veteran finishers, and a focus on FJR riders in the event.

Here we go......

FJRForum Management

-----

Official website including Daily 2021 IBR Reports

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/index.html

Iron Butt Rules

Fresh for 2021 - https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/ibr2021_rules.pdf

Past Years IBR Reports, Rally packs, and other ephemera

https://www.ironbutt.org/IBRhistory/index.htm

2021 IRON BUTT RALLY HEADQUARTERS/START

All Start and Finish activities at:

Provo Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
101 W 100 N
Provo, UT 84601

CHECK IN WEEKEND
Saturday, June 19

Tech Inspection/Odo Check 8am - 4pm
Rally Check In 8am - 4pm
Last Chance Dinner 6pm - Sold Out

Sunday, June 20

Tech Inspection/Odo Check 8am - 10am
Rally Check In 8am - 11am
Start Banquet 5:00pm - Sold Out

RALLY START
Monday, June 21
Motorcycle Impound 8am
Rally Start 10am MDT

CHECKPOINT 1  INFORMATION

24Jun21, Checkpoint 1, 8pm - 10pm
Renaissance Indianapolis North Hotel
11925 N Meridian St, Carmel, IN 46032

CHECKPOINT 2  INFORMATION

27Jun21, Checkpoint 2, 8pm - 10pm
Marriott Huntsville
5 Tranquility Base, Huntsville, AL 35805

RALLY FINISH - Friday, July 2, 10 am MDT

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am Scoring opens at 5am
Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm - Sold Out

FAQ For Watching Riders

Q: Why are there orange icons mostly on the GPS tracking and occasionally a green?

A: Orange are breadcrumbs and the default transmission. Green means they pressed the "OK" button and usually mean things like, "I'm OK. I snagged a bonus. Something interesting happened. Other colors (e.g. yellow or red) are possible, but indicate "Help" and "911" respectively. If yellow occurs, certain people are notified the rider is concerned about something. While we likely wouldn't see a red...authorities are notified.

Q: Why do they appear to jump, pass each other, or not quite be in sync with the current time.

A: Transmissions occur nominally every 10 minutes or so, but can be delayed a bit more in the aggregate page for all riders. While we can't see the full details of the timestamp other than the date, delays are likely up to 20 minutes or so. And since rider's units are not necessarily synced up with each other--this can give the illusion of jumping. Treat the locations as an estimation.

Q: Why don't the numbers match up with riders and jump around?

A: They've done this on purpose so individuals can't be tracked for competitive, safety, and other reasons. Rider numbers are randomly rotated several times throughout each day. The page is meant as an aggregate indicator of where the field of riders generally are.

Q: Why can't I see individual riders GPS tracks?

A: Individual riders are allowed to share their individual pages with family and close friends subject to very strict rules including not sharing on social media or publicly as part of the large "going dark" rules. They can face serious scrutiny and/or penalty if they do...so are guarded in who they give access. If you known somebody, please don't bug them during the rally. If they didn't share with you before the rally--it's a choice. Remember this is THEIR rally...not yours..

Q: Can I come to a checkpoint and see what's going on?

A: Yes! You're encouraged to. Just please follow these principles outlined by Lisa Landry, Rally Master: "We love spectators and the energy they bring to event, not to mention the support offered to riders. We ask that you park away from the designated rider area and be sure to leave space for riders to easily access the hotel from the parking lot, especially as we get into penalty minutes."

Other Places to Watch

Facebook - Iron Butt Motorcycle Riders

Hard Miles 2 - Iron Butt Rally Documentary Trailer

IBR Finishers by Year.jpg

Arrived in Provo a few hours ago and see the Day -3 report is up.  This will be the main thread for this year.  I've updated a few things I know, but I'll be learning tomorrow and Sunday more details and will update the top of this thread.

Tomorrow it starts to get more serious for the riders as they go through tech inspection, registration, and get things dialed in for departing Monday.

This year's poster... :)

203263482_10228350782301617_123800383992462401_n.jpg

The obligatory shot of a rider going through Odo check.

20210619_112909.jpg

A few pictures zooming into the bikes and digging a little deeper to see detail.

20210619_121621.jpg

This gnome is disturbing and my camera refused to focus on it...cause it was scared of it.

20210619_120811.jpg

Supplemental branding is important to an AeroFlow deflector.

20210619_120824.jpg

Bob Lilley is an interesting character and this label maker addition has a story I'm sure.

20210619_120838.jpg

Gotta involve family in the IBR!

20210619_121211.jpg

This is one of the ninja sheep that tried to kill me personally in 2015. Bastard.

20210619_121226.jpg

Kinda hard to make out, but besides this being one of the few FJR "Frankentanks", the owner has taped down change underneath....just in case.  I estimate he had $0.95 taped under various parts.

20210619_121413.jpg

Blue painters tape and a sharpie speak volumes.  This reminder is very fresh and will likely be sun-faded and maybe tattered by the end of the 11 days.

20210619_120811.jpg

20210619_120824.jpg

20210619_120838.jpg

20210619_121211.jpg

20210619_121226.jpg

20210619_121413.jpg

20210619_121621.jpg

Just wanted to let people know that I now live in Huntsville AL. So if anyone needs anything at all at checkpoint in Huntsville I would be happy to help.

I'm pulling for Al Greenwood. He's from my hometown and he's rocking, by far, the oldest bike out there - a mile eating '89 GL1500. Not to mention he's navigating with old school paper maps like he did in his first IBR 35 years ago. Nothing but respect. The Clayton Comet!