FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaner link here:

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/Final_Standings.html

Mike Brooke posted up his stats this morning... beast!!

Leg one, 4879 miles. Provo to west of Oklahoma city via San Diego, 2572 miles, 37:30 hrs, with a 2hr nap. 6:30hrs of sleep at rest bonus. West of Oklahoma city to Indianapolis via Florida, 2307 miles, 34:30 hrs straight.

Leg 2, 3391 miles. Indianapolis to Wilmington via Maine. 2083 miles, 36:30 hrs straight. 6:30hrs of sleep at rest bonus. Wilmington to Huntsville via North Carolina and, 1308 miles, 20:00hrs straight.

It hurts just thinking about this leg. Basically started leg three on 3 hrs of sleep and did 2 consecutive BBGs plus nearly 500 on a couple naps.

Started leg three on 3 hrs of sleep because of bike maintenance. Huntsville to Tacoma via Grand Junction and Glacier National Park. 3453 miles, 56:00 hrs with three 30 min naps and 1.5hrs in a hotel. 6:00 hrs of sleep at rest bonus. Tacoma to Provo, 1308 miles, 33:20 hrs, one 30 min nap.

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/Rider_Pages/83.html

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/3353-33a423b-2d05/view

A lot of the pictures I took were after they had stopped and taken their gloves off to get their rider IDs out for the the guy getting their mileage and verifying their ID.  I only saw a handful that had fingerless gloves.

Agreed. It's totally their choice but I saw very few who did not pull in wearing gloves.

Looking at the final placing I see that Michael Boge is listed as DNF. Was it because of penalty window closing or not enough points/miles? Also what determines gold, silver and bronze?

Looking at the final placing I see that Michael Boge is listed as DNF. Was it because of penalty window closing or not enough points/miles? Also what determines gold, silver and bronze?
Not enough points to qualify as a finisher. 

Also what determines gold, silver and bronze?
Somewhat arbitrary point levels set by the RM for various levels of accomplishment, independent of relative scoring between riders.  They'll tell you those levels (along with the minimum level to be a finisher...which was 80,000 for this rally) as they hand out packets for each leg. Some riders may say, "I was a bronze last time. I want to try and finish as a silver finisher or better this time around."

I'd like to hear the rider that also ran in the Hoka Hey to do a compare and contrast with the IBR.
Fixed route, sleeping near the bike, along intentionally complex routes designed to cull the starting line. That's the start. It's changed since the first 2 so the rules are no longer changing after the rally starts. Closer to a poker run.

Somewhat arbitrary point levels set by the RM for various levels of accomplishment, independent of relative scoring between riders.  They'll tell you those levels (along with the minimum level to be a finisher...which was 80,000 for this rally) as they hand out packets for each leg. Some riders may say, "I was a bronze last time. I want to try and finish as a silver finisher or better this time around."
As they prepare for the rally do rookie riders have sufficient resources available to them to understand it takes to develop a finishing strategy?  I ask because of a discussion on another board suggesting riders may be given inadequate leg 1 and 2 points targets at rider meetings to allow for a manageable leg 3.

While I have never ridden an IBR, as a potential rookie here is my take on that. All riders are provided the same information. It would be up to the rider to maximize his ride. Riders make choices. I would think it would be prudent to maximize points ASAP given the fact that you have no idea whats in the next leg. My $.02

As they prepare for the rally do rookie riders have sufficient resources available to them to understand it takes to develop a finishing strategy?  I ask because of a discussion on another board suggesting riders may be given inadequate leg 1 and 2 points targets at rider meetings to allow for a manageable leg 3.
Sounds like armchair quarterbacking by somebody that hasn't done the rally to me.

Rookies are given extra opportunity (and responsibility I believe) at each rally including a mandatory rider meeting for rookies (as well as for riders that haven't ridden in a long time).  And rookies are particularly encouraged to participated in a private forum before the rally and ask questions.  After they receive their packet. Staff hang out in the banquet room, make themselves available, and sometimes even tour rookie room doors that may be open....at least for the three rallies that I did and covered in both Hard Miles and HM2.  I know my rookie year I felt showered with attention and resources...they wanted me to finish the rally!

Three thoughts:

• They're "targets" and staff note they're not the end-all-be-all to be obsessed over.
  • The IBR point values have been are progressively larger as the rally continues.  Leg 2 is often worth twice leg 1 and Leg 3 is often twice leg 2...or even twice leg 1 and 2 combined.  This was true in this rally looking at the point results after each leg.
  • They don't call it the World's Toughest Motorcycle Ride for nothing.  A sizable percentage of the field are not going to finish the rally and this year was 19%...which is historically low from my memory.  I known my rookie year of 2007 had a 34% DNF rate.

... All riders are provided the same information. It would be up to the rider to maximize his ride. Riders make choices. I would think it would be prudent to maximize points ASAP given the fact that you have no idea whats in the next leg. My $.02

Rookies are given extra opportunity (and responsibility I believe) at each rally including a mandatory rider meeting for rookies (as well as for riders that haven't ridden in a long time).  And rookies are particularly encouraged to participated in a private forum before the rally and ask questions.  After they receive their packet. Staff hang out in the banquet room, make themselves available, and sometimes even tour rookie room doors that may be open....at least for the three rallies that I did and covered in both Hard Miles and HM2.  I know my rookie year I felt showered with attention and resources...they wanted me to finish the rally!
Thanks much.

Rookies are given extra opportunity (and responsibility I believe)
When I rode in 2013, IBR Staff and the Veteran Volunteers were available to us, because everyone wants every Rider to finish, finish safely, and with enough points to earn that coveted three digit number.

Personally, I was afraid to ask for help, but I fared well on my own.

As the IBR becomes more technical (and Kudos to Jeff for designing a nearly perfect Rally), I have found myself exclaiming to myself that I would have asked for help in 17, 19, and this year.

Rally Staff won’t design a route for the Rider, but they will point the Rider in the correct direction.

Congrats to everyone who participated in this year’s rally!

I should have left my hotel room door open. Oh wait! I was 2 blocks down the road in a different hotel because I couldn't afford the host hotel. LOL