FJR's don't like dirt - let alone floods and ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will check the legal implications here in Oz - probably not an issue. But steering input through the bars (in corners) indicates an unhappy (potentially unstable) bike. Might be OK for racking up miles, but possibly not for doing it on mountain roads. Still, it obviously works for a lot of folks!

Huh?

20200220_220042.jpg

If it will help, I can break it down more. This forum has seldom been politically correct and enabling to whining. :)

Had the OP said the FJR is no dual-sport, 99% of readers would have agreed. Including me.

Had the OP said the FJR was no dirt bike, 99% of readers would have agreed. Including me.

The generic FJRs don't like dirt lacked specifics and presented as someone being uncomfortable who has been off bikes for a very long period and relatively recently gotten back into riding. Saying "Anyone got any strategies on making soft roads easier?"

That the OP is a very recent member of the forum, AND is unwilling to, (or has not so far, deliberately using nonsense location of "at home"), put their location or any other details in their profile also smacks of trolling.

So the OP has difficulties in soft conditions on the FJR. How is my suggestion of seeking more training hurtful, harmful or in any way demeaning?

If you're having difficulties with some aspect of riding a motorcycle, more training specific to that area, and lots of practice, is generally an acceptable method by which to improve. Beating your chest about how many years of experience you have doesn't change the fact that the OP is the one saying they have some issues in dirt and soft conditions.

I'm a piker here, with only 160k miles under my butt on a FJR. I can add around another 340k+ to that on other bikes. That's nothing compared to many here. Several, apparently, who also don't have issues riding in dirt or soft conditions.

If it will help, I can break it down more. This forum has seldom been politically correct and enabling to whining. :)

Had the OP said the FJR is no dual-sport, 99% of readers would have agreed. Including me.

Had the OP said the FJR was no dirt bike, 99% of readers would have agreed. Including me.

The generic FJRs don't like dirt lacked specifics and presented as someone being uncomfortable who has been off bikes for a very long period and relatively recently gotten back into riding. Saying "Anyone got any strategies on making soft roads easier?"

That the OP is a very recent member of the forum, AND is unwilling to, (or has not so far, deliberately using nonsense location of "at home"), put their location or any other details in their profile also smacks of trolling.

So the OP has difficulties in soft conditions on the FJR. How is my suggestion of seeking more training hurtful, harmful or in any way demeaning?

If you're having difficulties with some aspect of riding a motorcycle, more training specific to that area, and lots of practice, is generally an acceptable method by which to improve. Beating your chest about how many years of experience you have doesn't change the fact that the OP is the one saying they have some issues in dirt and soft conditions.

I'm a piker here, with only 160k miles under my butt on a FJR. I can add around another 340k+ to that on other bikes. That's nothing compared to many here. Several, apparently, who also don't have issues riding in dirt or soft conditions.

I don't know the new member but your post above made me think of a discussion I had with a "grizzled vet" rider with many years under his belt. He got upset when I finally asked if he had 30 years of experience or had he repeated his first 2 years 28 times?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this darksiding you speak of?
This…
D0353A9D-50E3-41DA-8A61-A7D4626BA494.jpeg

When I was running a motorcycle tire I was getting about 5,000 (s)miles on a rear tire. I have a rather heavy wrist. Every seven weeks had me visiting my favourite tire shop. I was looking to save money somewhere, even to buy a NoMar tire changer to save mount and balance charges. With the car tire they’re averaging around 34,000 (s)miles; a 7 to 1 ratio. Most of the car tires I’ve replaced back there were because of a desire to get deeper sipes (tread grooves) for a upcoming tour in the rainy season. A wide contact patch with legal, but rather shallow sipes might tend to float a bit when hitting a sudden water crossing, at speed, while travelling the Nevada desert.

Brodie
😁

Last edited:
This…
View attachment 3021

When I was running a motorcycle tire I was getting about 5,000 (s)miles on a rear tire. I have a rather heavy wrist. Every seven weeks had me visiting my favourite tire shop. I was looking to save money somewhere, even to buy a NoMar tire changer to save mount and balance charges. With the car tire they’re averaging around 34,000 (s)miles; a 7 to 1 ratio. Most of the car tires I’ve replaced back there were because of a desire to get deeper sipes (tread grooves) for a upcoming tour in the rainy season. A wide contact patch with legal, but rather shallow sipes might tend to float a bit when hitting a sudden water crossing, at speed, while travelling the Nevada desert.

Brodie
😁
Water is why I love this tire so much
IMG_20210602_132224_1.jpg

Not to mention the 20' rooster tail in the rain keeps the cars from tailgating too. :D