Flashing ABS Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JQL

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was on a ride, the DGR ride, and we stopped in a gravelled area. Shortly after setting off again the ABS light started flashing. It would flash intermittently for a random period with no apparent reason, or so I thought.

Cleaning the sensors didn't fix the problem so I turned to the brake pedal. I cleaned the mechanism and the brake light switch and, hey presto, problem solved.

So if your ABS light starts to flash, first clean the brake pedal and brake lever mechanism and see if that solves the problem.

Hopefully, this information may help someone at some point.

The rear brake pedal needs to be removed, cleaned and greased on a regular basis. I do mine annually - sometimes more if I have been riding a lot in wet weather or dusty conditions. (I do front brake and clutch levers at the same time as well as the shift linkage.)

Flashing ABS light, a cruise control that won't set, perpetually "on" brake light, inordinate wear of rear pads and overheated brake/rotor can be the result of neglect.

Last edited:
The rear brake pedal needs to be removed, cleaned and greased on a regular basis. I do mine annually - sometimes more if I have been riding a lot in wet weather or dusty conditions. (I do front brake and clutch levers at the same time as well as the shift linkage.)

Flashing ABS light, a cruise control that won't set, perpetually "on" brake light, inordinate wear of rear pads and overheated brake/rotor can be the result of neglect.
Mine was serviced by Yamaha about a year ago so it's due another soon. I'd guess they didn't do the brake pedal at that service. I'm also starting to think they missed a few other items at the same time.

I won't be using the Yamaha network again due to the problems I've encountered with them. Instead, I'll be using the FJ/FJR Club workshop in the UK from now on.

I won't be using the Yamaha network again due to the problems I've encountered with them. Instead, I'll be using the FJ/FJR Club workshop in the UK from now on.
Good idea! To be honest, with over 400,000 km on FJRs ('07 and '11), I have had Yamaha dealers work on the bike exactly twice, other than for recalls. Once was to replace front wheel bearings (I don't have the tools) and once for front fork seals and bushings when I didn't have the time to order parts. I usually get a friend or independent shop for tire changes. The rest I have done myself. (I have had a suspension shop refurb my Penske aftermarket shock.) I have never needed warranty work.

Note: Check your hand levers for clean and lube. Especially the clutch with the brass bushing that pushes the rod that actuates the clutch. It has to be done regularly or it will wear out from grit accumulation and friction.

I just went through this on my '13. It was the front brake switch. Here in the States there's a safety recall for this.

Shift linkage, I had the dealer do it once when they did the rear suspension lube. How do you get the knuckles off the ball joint? I will do that myself if one of you who have done it will share your knowledge?? Thanks!

Look at the parts fiche.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2011/fjr1300a-fjr13aas/shift-shaftButton head Allen bolt #19. You don't really have to take that apart. Spritz with some carb cleaner or even mineral spirits on a rag to clean and work some grease in after you are rid of the solvent. Don't overtighten the bolt #28 - if the wave washer is squished flat, you might find the linkage doesn't ratchet back into position after a shift. Just tight enough and use some blue Loctite on the threads.
It is a bit of a pain to get the linkage off but not too difficult - be careful with the sidestand - it will be hanging by the wire that goes to the interlock switch - I have never bothered disconnecting it but I am careful to avoid undue stress. One bolt needs a fairly large Torx driver - I forget the size...

Great reminder to keep those pivots lubed and working freely! Just did the whole deal on my Tenere yesterday.

~G

I just went through this on my '13. It was the front brake switch. Here in the States there's a safety recall for this.
My front brake switch was changed under the recall last year. But, now that I know these are "touble areas" I will be attending to them regularly.

My front brake switch was changed under the recall last year. But, now that I know these are "touble areas" I will be attending to them regularly.
You're lucky then. When I called a dealership about the switch recall they wanted me to drop off my bike so they could "investigate". That meant leaving it until Yamaha approved the replacement, then order the part, then replace and test it. Could be 10 days they said, could be a month, just depends on when the part comes in, they said. I said no thanks and ordered the part myself from a place about 60 miles from me. Arrived the next day & I installed it. I have no idea what the dealership folks were thinking.

I also tried to get a replacement for the defective one I removed. They said no too. So I asked if I get it replaced under recall could I have the removed one back. No again. I said bye. For 90 bucks and 2 hrs of my time at least I know nothing got screwed up, scratched, dented or broken.

Last summer, I followed up on a Momma Yama recall for the front brake lever switch (as JQL referenced earlier here), and voila' - my flashing ABS dash lamp has been silent ever since. Yamaha Canada reimbursed the stealership - so no cost to me (other than killing time waiting while the shop did the deed).
Yep - that brake switch is a logic input to the FJR's ABS & cruise control circuitry, so if its a bit flakly, our trusty FJRs won't let you set the cruise control.

All good now, and has been worth it. ;)