Flat Blue Paint - How is it holding up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowrey

Reaction score
Hello,
Looking at 2016 and 2018. Wondering how the flat blue on 2018 FJR is holding up for you. Does it get "sort of" shiny where your hands and clothing rub? Does it have issues with water spots after washing? What happens if you wax the bike? You get the idea.
Thanks in advance for replying.
-DL

Hello,
Looking at 2016 and 2018. Wondering how the flat blue on 2018 FJR is holding up for you. Does it get "sort of" shiny where your hands and clothing rub? Does it have issues with water spots after washing? What happens if you wax the bike? You get the idea.
-DL
Have not had a problem so far. I use a magnetic tank bag no rub thru yet. Start out with special flat finish wax but now I use turtle wax ICE works well looks good on flat finish. Would I buy another bike with flat finish probably not

Attachments

• 29881FBB-B40E-4283-B045-489087F3BBD0.jpeg
    29881FBB-B40E-4283-B045-489087F3BBD0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Thank for the reply, Happy Jack. What is the flat surface behind the pillion?

Thank for the reply, Happy Jack. What is the flat surface behind the pillion?
Carbon fiber wrap which you cut to fit press on and pull off if you don’t like it. Protects the bike from my wife’s boots and I also attend Rallies and take a large bag which rest on panniers don’t have pic on 18 loaded but same set up on my old 13

Attachments

• 5037CCF7-C174-4055-9DD0-51E06C7BC999.jpeg
    5037CCF7-C174-4055-9DD0-51E06C7BC999.jpeg
    973.9 KB · Views: 23
Hello,
-DL
I have an '18 and while I love the color itself when it's perfectly clean, yet it does not last long.
> It does buff to a shine where something rubs and there's no going back (that I know of).
> No bodyshop wants deal with it. Whereas anyone can deal with with coats.
> I've tried various cleaners of different brands and types of 'no wax based' as recommended andnand there's not much difference or bad results.
> I've used Chemical Guys and other brand recommendations for protection, nothing makes any difference.
> When it scratches there's no fixing. On a clear coat you can either buff it off or touch up. Not in this one.
> It's bug spots easily and permanently if not cleaned soon.

I would never buy another product of value (bike, car, helmet, etc) with matte paint.

Other than that, I love the bike 😎

I love it on my 2019.

I used a special Matte Ceramic Coating from the Chemical Guys (Erratum: I used Dr Beasleys Matte Paint Coating NOT the Chemical Guys.) and it's protected the paintwork beautifully. I also used the gloss ceramic coating on the gloss black parts. No wax needed just wash, dry and go.

I would buy a Matte paint vehicle again

Last edited:
JQL - Early on I considered the Chemical Guys ceramic coating. I was wondering about results and need for reapplication.
> Does it give the matte a gloss is sheen of any kind?
> How long has it been since you applied it and does it require reapplication?
> What was the process like to apply it?
> How much product is needed?
> Did you do it yourself?

Do you have pics that could show it?

I may reconsider...
Thanks

I haven’t tried their JQL - Early on I considered the Chemical Guys ceramic coating. I was wondering about results and need for reapplication.

I may reconsider...
Thanks
JQL - Early on I considered the Chemical Guys ceramic coating. I was wondering about results and need for reapplication.

I may reconsider...
Thanks
I haven’t tried their ceramic. But avoid their jet matte paint sealant at all costs. It’s terrible. Their matte detailer is okay, for a quick spritz.

I may reconsider...
Thanks
Erratum: I used Dr Beasleys Matte Paint Coating NOT the Chemical Guys. Link below to Amazon

It makes the blue a very slightly "richer" blue but it's hardly noticeable.
It's been on 2.5 years and it doesn't need a reapplication yet.
It's very simple to apply BUT the paint needs to be perfectly clean before as it will seal in any imperfections. It's recommended that you don't get the coating wet for 7 days after application.
Very little. I've probably got enough for 20 - 30 years.
I did it myself. The hardest part was cleaning the paint before.
I'll post some pictures later

https://amzn.to/3smo7vR

Last edited:
Erratum: I used Dr Beasleys Matte Paint Coating NOT the Chemical Guys. Link below to Amazon

It makes the blue a very slightly "richer" blue but it's hardly noticeable.
It's been on 2.5 years and it doesn't need a reapplication yet.
It's very simple to apply BUT the paint needs to be perfectly clean before as it will seal in any imperfections. It's recommended that you don't get the coating wet for 7 days after application.
Very little. I've probably got enough for 20 - 30 years.
I did it myself. The hardest part was cleaning the paint before.
I'll post some pictures later

https://amzn.to/3smo7vR
Thanks.. I misread it.

So haw many of the 118ml bottles did you use?
Extremely little. About an eighth of a bottle!

One bottle will probably last me 20 years!!

The bottles are sized for cars not bikes so hold more than you'll need for a motorcycle. I think one bottle will do a medium sized car probably twice and a large car or minivan once.

It makes cleaning the bike a breeze though, you do need to remove water spots after washing so dry thoroughly. I pressure wash mine gently at the car-wash and dry her off. Takes about 30 minutes all-in-all.

When you consider that the first coat has lasted more than 2.5 years and I'll probably re do the bike at the end of 2022. I think it's excellent value for money.

Last edited:
Extremely little. About an eighth of a bottle!

One bottle will probably last me 20 years!!

The bottles are sized for cars not bikes so hold more than you'll need for a motorcycle. I think one bottle will do a medium sized car probably twice and a large car or minivan once.

It makes cleaning the bike a breeze though, you do need to remove water spots after washing so dry thoroughly. I pressure wash mine gently at the car-wash and dry her off. Takes about 30 minutes all-in-all.

When you consider that the first coat has lasted more than 2.5 years and I'll probably re do the bike at the end of 2022. I think it's excellent value for money.
For the whole bike...?