Flat rate hours for valve clearance check?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
going to have my valve clearances checked on the '05 FJR and was wondering what does the service manual specify for the number of flat rate hours should be allowed/charged for this service?

Is it three, four or five?

And if the valves clearances then need to be adjusted how many hours for that?

thanks.

The service manual doesn't specify.

I find a lot of opinions on the subject with hours charged valve check site:fjrforum.com on Google. It was 2 or 2.5 hours for mine the two times I've had it done. It's uncommon to have to actually change them and IIRC they said 3 or 4 more hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with valve clearance checks is that when the dealership looks it up on the computer, there are a dozen or so variations. Be sure they are looking at "Valve Clearance Check", not "Valve adjust" or anything similar. I've been quoted 2.75 hours all the way up to 4.0 hours. Wound up having it done at a reputable dealer where they estimated a price of $250 and stuck to their promise.

I wanted to have an "official" valve clearance check on record for Yami.

The biggest problem with valve clearance checks is that when the dealership looks it up on the computer, there are a dozen or so variations. Be sure they are looking at "Valve Clearance Check", not "Valve adjust" or anything similar. I've been quoted 2.75 hours all the way up to 4.0 hours. Wound up having it done at a reputable dealer where they estimated a price of $250 and stuck to their promise.
I wanted to have an "official" valve clearance check on record for Yami.
Jeff,

Thanks for the insight (and real numbers) on the valve adjust pricing. I've reached that magic # and am ready to take my bike in for the "check-up". I'm fortunate as I have a stand-up dealer here in NM and I know they won't rape me. Has anyone heard of anyone actually needing an adjustment @ the first check? I've been around for some time and can't say I know of anyone needing new shims. I'm sure there must be some out there who have, but I'm assuming they are the exception and not the rule. Personal history reveals that about the time I reach 25k I trade-in and buy the new version. I traded my perfectly wonderful and fastest silver 03' @ 24k. I'd love to have one of the new 08' Gen II "blackies" in the garage, but my fully farkled (and paid for) 05' still melts my butter.

just had my first valve clearance check done and results are good.

My '05 was a ticker and repaired at 19k miles so I had a while to go before checking again.

Finally got it to the dealer where I bought it and had the tick repaired. It has 50,745 miles so I was a little over the 26k mile mark but they checked and all were in spec.

They charged me for five hours shop time and total was $380. I told them they did a good job on the tick repair because the bike is running very strongly.

Sevice manager said the R6, R1 and FJR very rarely need any adjustments.

The closest dealer wanted seven hours shop time no matter if they just checked the clearances and stopped or had to adjust the clearance. Their total was going to be almost $600.