flat tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop & Go works OK. Depending on the type of puncture the Stop & Go plug system sometimes doesn't work too well and the tire will spit the plug out or cut it off. I carry a combination of Stop & Go, and both large and small sticky strings.

Whatever plug system you carry, it never hurts to be prepared!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of a sticky string failure of a bottom tread puncture if you use enough string. I had a reamer that reamed the hole so big that I needed to use two strings.

The plug made it 2000 miles home and through Nevada speeds on the way home from Kali last May.

I carry sticky strings and the reamer and install tool you use to cram it in the hole. I also carry the small Slime sport tire compressor and have the plug hardwired directly to the battery so that when the inevitable happens, I can plug the hole (hopefully it's pluggable) connect the compressor and fill 'er up. I recently used it to save a guy in our group on one of those 9,000 pound Harley's. Worked just fine. He would have been HOSED.

I just ordered one of these (along with a new set of Contis) and plan to carry it on both street and dirt excursions. I've used their products on my pedal bikes in the past and they last forever.

Tire repair kit

I had a puncture in my '03 trailblazer that I sealed with those stick-string plugs - got over 20,000 on the repair with not issues.

A couple of recommendations:

•  
  • If possible - completely deflate the tire before plugging (I've heard of people trying this while the tire still has some pressure)
  • Ream the puncture to make a nice "clean" hole
  • Use two or more stick strings - it should be a tight squeeze getting them into the puncture
  • Use the rubber cement type glue used for tube repairs (liberally wet the sticky strings with the glue) - if your tire is still under pressure, this glue will blow back out through the puncture and not form a tight seal
  • Allow the glue to dry for a while before repressurizing

I just ordered one of these (along with a new set of Contis) and plan to carry it on both street and dirt excursions. I've used their products on my pedal bikes in the past and they last forever.

Tire repair kit
Those little compressed CO2 canisters are gonna leave you stranded somewhere. Remember, the 180/55/17 on the back is a good sized tire and will take more air than those can hold to bring you up to pressure. Also remember that Murphy is a fucker and the first repair will leak, the valve won't seat exactly right, and you may end up losing lots of CO2 to the wind.

Spend a few bucks on a Slime Pump (or some other small pump) and put it under your seat near the tool kit. It will fill your tire and reduce some of the BS stress you're already gonna be under when the tire goes flat.

This is all just my opinion. No animals were hurt in the typing of this opinion.

I have the Stop N Go kit and compressor. They have worked fine on a number of repairs on motorbike and car tires. With a round hole, properly done, I have never had a mushroom type plug fail. Your experience could differ. I was installing mushroom plugs in car tires in the 70's without issues too. Strings or plugs both work, done right. And I strongly support the compressor idea. My Stop N Go fits perfectly under the seat of my Gen II. But I also carry the CO2 kit as a backup.

mr.paul

Tire repair kit
Those little compressed CO2 canisters are gonna leave you stranded somewhere. Remember, the 180/55/17 on the back is a good sized tire and will take more air than those can hold to bring you up to pressure. Also remember that Murphy is a fucker and the first repair will leak, the valve won't seat exactly right, and you may end up losing lots of CO2 to the wind.

Spend a few bucks on a Slime Pump (or some other small pump) and put it under your seat near the tool kit. It will fill your tire and reduce some of the BS stress you're already gonna be under when the tire goes flat.

This is all just my opinion. No animals were hurt in the typing of this opinion.
Thanks for the heads up. I have and continue to use an older version of this Second Wind pump that doubles as a CO2 inflator and manual hand pump. While it's not very fast, at least a guy has a back up plan if the CO2 vents out due to a faulty repair. The small pump looks intriguing, I've got so much crap under my seat as it is, not willing at this time to displace stuff to put it there while trying to cram in everything needed for a 2 week, 2 up trip. I'll check them out.