Florida Day Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I am planning to be in Florida the middle two weeks of March (trailering the new FJR down from the Great

White North)

Likely staying near Okeechobee. Looking for good day routes. The only day firmed up is the 17th for

Daytona 200.

I've done the Forest loop near Daytona, Key West & Gator Alley. Not saying that I wouldn't do them again

but always nice to see different roads.

Thanks in advance,

Canadian FJR

Scott,

You should plan a ride here: Solomon's Castle. It is isolated, but very unique and in my opinion… worth the ride.

If you keep us updated on your planning, maybe we can arrange a Ride To Eat while you are here. If you are in Okeechobee,

then Cow Pokes in Sebring is a must for their Crab Bisque Here: Cowpoke's Watering Hole

I will research some roads. The beach at Hobe Sound is nice with the road leading to it (Bridge Rd.) forming a tree canopy.

The ride from Okeechobee to Hobe Sound offers a scenic road also.

Ya where 101stpathfinder said. /\

Ya gotta go to YeeHaw junction too.

No specific order.

1. Ride around the Lake. Be sure an take CR720 on the SW shore of the lake. It actually has about 5 curves.

2. SW Martin Highway (714). Part of it is under the canopy of trees. It takes you from Okeechobee towards the coast.

3. Most of the sections of A1A. Those are nice beach rides.

4. 98 towards Sebring. Then 66 west. Turn onto Sweetwater/Crewville Road. Very scenic and curvy road for Florida. You can incorporate this into a ride to Solomon's castle that Tony mentioned.

5. There is also some good roads as you go NW from Okeechobee. You stay just to the east of US27 and follow them up past Sebring, Avon Park, Lake Wales. I can give you the route if you are interested.

I have rode most every road from Central to South Florida. Just let me know the type of riding you like and I can probably give you some advice.

No specific order.
1. Ride around the Lake. Be sure an take CR720 on the SW shore of the lake. It actually has about 5 curves.

2. SW Martin Highway (714). Part of it is under the canopy of trees. It takes you from Okeechobee towards the coast.

3. Most of the sections of A1A. Those are nice beach rides.

4. 98 towards Sebring. Then 66 west. Turn onto Sweetwater/Crewville Road. Very scenic and curvy road for Florida. You can incorporate this into a ride to Solomon's castle that Tony mentioned.

5. There is also some good roads as you go NW from Okeechobee. You stay just to the east of US27 and follow them up past Sebring, Avon Park, Lake Wales. I can give you the route if you are interested.

I have rode most every road from Central to South Florida. Just let me know the type of riding you like and I can probably give you some advice.
I was hoping you would respond and put some numbers to my thoughts. (#2) 714 is the road to take from Okeechobee to

the Hobe Sound beach. You could jump onto I-95 when you reach it and take the Bridge Road exit to Hobe Sound. A1A is

indeed a treat for non Florida riders to enjoy the ocean and quite a few restaurants to choose from.

The Ocala area has some nice roads too, along with some actual hills.

Scott,You should plan a ride here: Solomon's Castle. It is isolated, but very unique and in my opinion… worth the ride.

If you keep us updated on your planning, maybe we can arrange a Ride To Eat while you are here. If you are in Okeechobee,

then Cow Pokes in Sebring is a must for their Crab Bisque Here: Cowpoke's Watering Hole

I will research some roads. The beach at Hobe Sound is nice with the road leading to it (Bridge Rd.) forming a tree canopy.

The ride from Okeechobee to Hobe Sound offers a scenic road also.
I'm on the west coast in North Port and visit Solomon's Castle often, now I gotta give Cowpokes a try.

There some nice roads west of Sebring off RT 66..... take Crewsville rd. south to Sweetwater rd. to RT 17, the 1st two are nice 2 lane country roads mostly through orchards and cattle farms. Also a nice loop from Myakka City on RT 70 .... Singletary rd to rt 780 to Verna to Myakka rd. to Clay Gully rd. to Old Sandy rd to RT 70. This route is not too far from Solomon's. On Sunday morning there's usually a group of riders at the Myakka City gas station on RT 70, two are FJR owners. Stop in for a chat.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
You could take the long way to YeeHaw from Okee. Ride to Ft. Pierce stop at the Navy Seal museum and test your mettle on their obstacle course and then enjoy the beach right there for a bit (free parking and no crowds) then ride up A1A to Vero Beach then across to YeeHaw.

If you like kayak bass fishing I am about 20 miles from Okeechobee on the Kissimmee River with a couple kayaks.

Good places to eat in the area as well if you want beta. In addition to Cowpokes of course.

I'm always up for a ride to eat or just a ride.

Roadscum, I'll be in Port Charlotte on the night of the 22nd of March, heading for Panama City Beach on the 23rd If you are interested?

I am in Florida from March 15-29th.Key west is in the plans, just not sure if I am running down on the bike or taking the Jeep.

If I end up taking the bike, I'll let you know. Either way, I would like to get out for a cruise some time before you point back north.

"On Sunday morning there's usually a group of riders at the Myakka City gas station on RT 70, two are FJR owners"

This is also on my list of planned rides.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
A big thanks for the route suggestions, Florida does actually have some curves. Only took me a week of riding but I found them.

RT 66..... take Crewsville rd. south to Sweetwater rd. to RT 17 rocks.

Still hoping to get back to Key West before vacation is over.

Canadian FJR

A big thanks for the route suggestions, Florida does actually have some curves. Only took me a week of riding but I found them.
RT 66..... take Crewsville rd. south to Sweetwater rd. to RT 17 rocks.

Still hoping to get back to Key West before vacation is over.

Canadian FJR
Yea, that's a great area. There is one spot that goes over a creek. There use to be an old wood bridge going over that creek. I always stopped there for a few minutes. Just a very peaceful nice place.

Now there is a concrete bridge.........

They call it progress.

Florida has some good back roads riding. You just have to know where to look and be willing to ride a distance to get there.