FNG--LTL (Long Time Lurker)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Broan

Reaction score
66 year old guy.  Started with mini bikes when I was 10.  Have always been intrigued with the FJR.  Two years ago wife announced she wanted to sell her '06 Honda ST, 120,000 miles, and get an FJR.  Why an FJR I asked?  Because you are always reading about them on the FJRForum.  Enough said, purchased 2014 red FJR1300A with 7000 miles.  Been a great bike, no issues, now has 33000+ miles on it, several thousand of those miles by me. :)

Other bikes in the garage: 1990 BMW K-75, 1991 BMW K-75, 2015 Motus MST, 2018 KTM 1290 SAR

Welcome from metro Seattle , Jim. Since you're an LTL(!) you know there's a lot of great information here for all things FJR.  Not many questions haven't been asked.

What's your daily rider? That's quite a collection in the garage.

~G

Welcome to the Forum and you probably are the only member with both a FJR and a Motus in their garage.  How does the FJR compare to the Motus?

Obviously you have too many bikes that are just sitting there getting no love.  Since I'm a giver,  I'll do you a favor and take that Motus off your hands.  One less thing for you to have to deal with.....

Welcome from metro Seattle , Jim. Since you're an LTL(!) you know there's a lot of great information here for all things FJR.  Not many questions haven't been asked.

What's your daily rider? That's quite a collection in the garage.

~G
Daily rider... my typical answer to non riders is "the one with the most gas in it".  For you riders, each one has its own personality, qualities and quirks.  They are different enough from each other that it is like having 4 different and unique girl friends, each one available at a moments notice.  I attempt to spread around my love equally to all four.

Welcome to the Forum and you probably are the only member with both a FJR and a Motus in their garage.  How does the FJR compare to the Motus?
The Motus at 165 HP, and being non ABS is more race bike than anything else.  It will not tolerate rider mistakes like the FJR will. Plus being a limited production bike, I spend a lot of time chasing annoying little issues, numerous oil leaks from the transmission screen cover, finally fixed. Now another leak from the transmission shift rod where it enters the transmission.  The FJR has been mechanically bullet proof and worry free.  You do not think twice about taking the FJR anywhere.

Welcome Jim. You'll do good here with your stable of bikes. Enjoy the forum and knowledge base. We're here to help... sometimes. Other times were just ass hats. :)

Welcome. I suspect that 1290 is a bit of a hoot too. Keep an eye in the Midwest section for CFO. FJR gathering in your area every summer plus may others all over the land that are a great way to meet the trouble makers fine folks who hang out here.

Jim,

Are "the flying bricks" giving you any trouble with the engine seal by clutch? I almost bought one before the FJR said issue.

Dan

Jim,

Are "the flying bricks" giving you any trouble with the engine seal by clutch? I almost bought one before the FJR said issue.

Dan
Hi Dan:

Have not had any issues with the seal on either of the K75's.  I had a K100 several years ago and I prefer the 3 cylinder K75 over the 4 cylinder K100.  K75 seems like a much smoother engine.  The'90 K75 has 110K on it and has only needed a new pressure regulator for the fuel injection.  '91 K75 with 40K is currently getting a new (used) radiator installed after original started leaking. The Germans know how to make a tight engine.  Neither burns any oil.

Jim Broan

Welcome to the forum.

I am always inspired by those who can and do, own any bike they want, and buy and like an FJR. 

Your comparisons and ride impressions would be appreciated by me, though I realize that can be intimidating. LOL