FODS Potential

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely be in if I could make the logistics work! I brought the Tenere out to Colorado for NAFO and spent a day on the Alpine loop crossing Cinnamon Pass. I would love to return and ride many more of the passes and trails in this area on the XR650. I'll be watching this thread.

I jumped back into off road with a killer deal on a DRZ400SM; I've swapped to "S" wheels (21" / 18") and have had a blast on it in WV and northern Michigan. For the FODS meets in WV, a street legal bike is necessary; both locations we used as base camp (2015 & 2016) required some travel on pavement to get to the gravel stuff. Popular bikes include the DRZ400 and DR650 (Suzuki), KLR650 (Kawi), WR250R (Yamaha), KTM 500EXC and 690 Enduro R. In my opinion, all of these are great bikes, with pros and cons, and so long as you keep your expectations reasonable for the bike you have, you won't be disappointed.

I haven't been on a dirt bike since my son and I rode together in the 90's, and that was on a decade old (at least) XR200. If I were to start shopping for a dual sport for this FODS, I'm wondering where to start, and any help will be appreciated. Does it have to be street legal as well? Is there a displacement below which I will be disappointed? I've seen DRZs and KLRs mentioned. Are there any other suitable machines? And I have to ask, would a side by side four wheeler be up to the ride?

Check out this video and drool.
Well John it looks like your gentle suggestion worked. On the other forum, Mr Bill has set a time and place for your great suggestion. July 31 - August 4 based out of the KOA in Ouray. I am working on logistics to make this happen for me. WHooo Hooo, I can't wait to get back to ride some Colorado dirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRAP. Right before Sturgis......may or may not make this one. Hope my ass has recovered from Inuvik by then
no2.gif

New Dakota Adventure Loop Film
https://www.crossingdakota.com/

58 minutes to get you ready for Spring
Dang John you already had me all excited about the Dakota Adventure Loop! Now your just tormenting me. I just about have the XR650L set up for rides like the DAKAL. If I would have known I was going to get this excited about dual sport riding I probably would have bought something different but I am Balls deep with the XRL now so that is what I am going to run with.

The XRL should be adventure ready by spring since I have added handle bar risers, a larger gas tank, handguards, luggage rack and Giant loop sadle bag, and some great off road tires.

I can't wait till spring to try it out and will be down in your neck of the woods for the DakotaDualSport Riders.com Spring rally in Deadwood June 15th - 18th of 2017. While I am there I will be learning everything I can to set up plans for a DAKAL ride some time in the future. After testing out the newly set up XRL I am hoping to run out to the Rocky mountain FODS event in Ouray in the end of July if I can get vacation time lined up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dang John you already had me all excited about the Dakota Adventure Loop! Now your just tormenting me. I just about have the XR650L set up for rides like the DAKAL. If I would have known I was going to get this excited about dual sport riding I probably would have bought something different but I am Balls deep with the XRL now so that is what I am going to run with.

The XRL should be adventure ready by spring since I have added handle bar risers, a larger gas tank, handguards, luggage rack and Giant loop sadle bag, and some great off road tires.

I can't wait till spring to try it out and will be down in your neck of the woods for the DakotaDualSport Riders.com Spring rally in Deadwood June 15th - 18th of 2017. While I am there I will be learning everything I can to set up plans for a DAKAL ride some time in the future. After testing out the newly set up XRL I am hoping to run out to the Rocky mountain FODS event in Ouray in the end of July if I can get vacation time lined up.

Damn it. I'll be at Dust to Dawson when you are in the Hills in June and working the Sturgis Rally for the Ouray shindig. Why don't you just come to Dawson, Inuvik etc with me?

Damn it. I'll be at Dust to Dawson when you are in the Hills in June and working the Sturgis Rally for the Ouray shindig. Why don't you just come to Dawson, Inuvik etc with me?
John if I could work out the logistics of being gone for that long while running the motorcycle school and still working full time I would. I just don't see an extended trip up North happening until after I retire next year. I would love nothing better than to hop on the Tenere and join you fellows up North.