For those of you planning a European Alpine M/C trip.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Don...that is very helpful for planning! :clapping:

You know, I think we may actually have a shot at doing this. I will have to cut my rides in 2012 down to long weekend regional rides, but that would be a small sacrifice for this once in a lifetime trip. :yahoo:
You are Welcome Wheatie, it would be fantastic if You and your Frau can go on this. The "real deal" will be posted up on 1/1/12 under the Europe header and I will ask my illegitimate bastard son SkooterG to pin it for me.

There will be a few milestone dates: 1) Memorial Day 2012 I am going to ask GregM to start a three month poll on this trip, asking for respondents who are 99% interested in this trip. The purpose of this is to determine just how many folks are truly serious about going.

Knopf Motorrad Reisen in Heidelberg-Kircheim, Deutschland can fix us up with nine bikes easily, any more would be a strain. I am only willing to lead 12 "Los Americanos" on bikes (naturally, not including the pillion passengers!), so I am cutting the participants off at 12 moto pilots; I would be the 13th bike rider. If the poll shows we need 13 bikes, we will then need to go with AD-MO in Munich; so we will then be flying into Munchen, Bayerische, instead of Rhein-Main Flughafen in Frankfurt.

2) The next milestone would be securing the bikes, this is extremely critical and I insist everyone have their deposit down on a moto by Christmas 2012. 3) Next would be flight reservations and reserving Hotel rooms in the Alps. Machts Nichts Schatzie, if we do this by Easter 2013 we are in great shape.

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1317.15 Achtung: This is already a lock over at AZ Beemers: Vier Komraden mit Papa Chuy are already 100% committed to this Alps Run in June/July 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Just so I can get a rough sense of what the daily ride length would be...what were your usual KSU times, and what were your usual KSD in the evenings?

Also, my wife is a sweet midwestern church going gal, would she be astonished and/or mortified at your behaviour on this trip? Or are you going to keep the animal grunting and other noises to a minimum on this trip?

Don,

Just so I can get a rough sense of what the daily ride length would be...what were your usual KSU times, and what were your usual KSD in the evenings?

Also, my wife is a sweet midwestern church going gal, would she be astonished and/or mortified at your behaviour on this trip? Or are you going to keep the animal grunting and other noises to a minimum on this trip?
1) Between 200 and 250 miles a day, the most AZ Beemers rode in a day was 275 miles from Merano, Italia to Lago Como, IT. But, it takes at least 8 hours to ride those miles in the Alps; typically kickstands are up at 0830 and we are at the night's hotel by 1630 hours, perhaps 1730 hours at the very latest.

2) Au contraire mon Ami, Papa Chuy is ALWAYS the most PERFECT of Gentlemen! Hopefully, and I know of no reason why this won't happen, my Gal Donna will be with me. If for some reason Donna cannot go, such as having her four Grandchildren for that Summer, then I will bring my then 16 year old Son Seth with me!

3) I'm just so damn happy Orestes Dave of England is looking over my shoulder on this trip planning, it would be fantastic if Dave could join us on this FJR Forum Romp. I had it in my old head bone that The Tour de France always started in the second week of July.

I just received the e-mail below from Dave pointing out to me that the Tour de France could very well start in the first week of July. So, just to ensure we have no conflicts with this HUGE EVENT, the dates of our Alps romp will be Saturday, June 8 through Sunday, June 31. Only risk we face is that perhaps Passo di Stelvio will not be open, but it all depends on the weather. In late May of 2007 we hit Timmelsjoch, Austria on the day that it opened, yet Stilfserjoch did not open until late July that year!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Don

Just been looking at my maps and have just put this route together. it

means staying at a different location every night but it covers a lot of

ground.

Day 1 Heidelberg to Martigny (nr Chamonix Mt Blanc CH, there are others

but I think this is the one you mean).

Day 2 Martigny to Valloire. Via Cols Grand St Bernard, Petit St Bernard,

Col de L'Iseran, Col du Telegraphique.

Day 3 Valloire to Barcelonette. Via Col de Galibier,, Col d'Izoard, Col

de Vars and a loop over the Col de la Bonette before returning North to

Barcelonette

Another possibility is instead of looping back from de la Bonette to

Barcelonette carry on SW and overnight near Castellane. The following

day you would be able to go through the Grand Canyon du Verdon and

Moustieres Sante Marie before turning north again to Rencurel

Day 4 Barcelonette to Rencurel .Via Gap, Die, Col Du Rousett,various

roads in the Vercors NP.

Day 5 Rencurel to Albertville. Via Col du Rousett, Mens, La Mure, Col du

Ornon, Alpe de Huez and Col de Sarenne, Col de la Croix de Fer Col and

Col de la Madelaine.

Day 6 Albertville to Zurich.

Day 7 Zurich to Heidelberg.

I have tried to keep the daily mileage between 200 and 250

Key points on Dave's attached map below.

Overnight stays at:

Point 2 - Martigny

Point 6 - Valloire

Point 11 - Barcelonette

Point 17 - Rencurel

Point 25 - Albertville

Be aware that Tour de France cycle race starts at the beginning of July,

I suspect the following week but it will be worth checking in July 2012.

A number of the passes listed WILL be on the route, probably towards the

end of the first week after they depart from Corsica.

Dave

https://mail.aol.com/34122-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=29361863&folder=OldMail&partId=1 Dave's Map - Please note the key points listed above for overnight stay locations.

Don,

IIRC in Mexico, Don or Joe (not sure which) brought a chain saw with um, Dont know why.....they only fired the thing up at night! Other then that, if you can make Don keep his pants on, everything should be alright, if he wont....the bright glare is about all the problem you'll have with that. Just keep him away from the blue pills though! :p

Don

I think you are correct about the Tour starting in the 2nd week of July, I didn't phrase it very well in my email, I should have said "I suspect the week following your tour". I do not think you need to change your dates although there is still the possibility of snow on the Galibier and the Bonette even at the beginning of July but it's rare.

I would very much like to join you on the French part of your trip as my bike touring is going to be limited in 2013 as my son is planning to get married in April 2013, in Las Vegas. i guess I'll have to hire a bike for a week then for a trip out to Bryce Canyon etc as it seems silly to travel all that way for a few days.

For those who do not have a AOL account here is the map

<a href="%3Ca%20href=" http:="" s35.photobucket.com="" albums="" d183="" orestesdjc="" ?action="view&current=DonsTour2013.jpg"" target="_blank">
DonsTour2013.jpg
">A Route suggestion

This hotel in Valloire comes highly recommended. Hotel Christiania

And in Barcelonette The Grand Hotel basic rooms but right in the heart of the town centre with parking for bikes

Both have about 20 rooms and cost 80-90 euros/night

I overestimated the mileages on the route I put together last night.They run between 175 and 225 which, on these roads is a good, relaxed days riding.

You can find descriptions of most the passes mentioned in the "France" section on alpineoads.com

This hotel in Valloire comes highly recommended. Hotel Christiania

And in Barcelonette The Grand Hotel basic rooms but right in the heart of the town centre with parking for bikes

Both have about 20 rooms and cost 80-90 euros/night

I overestimated the mileages on the route I put together last night.They run between 175 and 225 which, on these roads is a good, relaxed days riding.

You can find descriptions of most the passes mentioned in the "France" section on alpineoads.com
Many thanks David, it is wonderful having someone "on the ground" in planning an overseas motorcycle trip for a large group. We will not put deposits down on our lodgings until March of 2013, but we are going to have you check out our "list" before we do, in case you have better alternate hotels.

Thank you for all the effort here Don. It looks like great stuff. Wished it was in 2012. Guess 2013 will get here soon enough! Bruce
Bruce and Gary, I've said it before, you two are sharp enough you could do this on your own! The common map I'm recommending everyone our Alps Tour group purchase is: The Alps by https://www.freytagberndt.com I bought it at Wide World of Maps here for $15.95 and you could probably order it on-line somewhere for half that amount. The ISBN Number is 978-3-7079-0425-3. With this map, John Hermann's Book on Riding the Alps https://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorcycle-journeys-through-the-alps-and-beyond and a French-German-Italian phrasebook and you two are good to go!

Seth and I are taking three weeks in June of 2012 to ride to an FJR Forum National Rally being hosted by the Canadians in Castlegar, British Columbia. After that we are riding North to Alaska, returning on the Ferry. We will be aboard Gisele, our new BMW K1600GT; with me being a K Bike Guy and all!

https://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.pl?images/for-road/66-2292a.jpg Here is the Freytag und Berndt map that will be our "Bible" for planning and riding our FJR Forum Alps Tour. I expect everyone that is going to own a copy of this map, as we'll be referring to it often in booking our hotels and planning out our day rides! You can buy it direct online from Omni Maps!

In yesterday's mail I received my new copy of the 2012 Edelweiss Tour Catalog. If you want your own book, contact them at [email protected]

What really caught my eye were the "Ride for Fun Tours" listed on pages 104-113. I can't budget these trips myself for less than Edelweiss prices them for.

https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/allTours/true/cont/eur/alps-extreme.html Honestly, I couldn't plan this Alps Extreme for any less money than Edelweiss! 8/19-26 of 2012 is open and available.

There is no support van on this tour, you pack all of your gear and the gear of your significant other; but you save so much, pricing is right where it should be!

I am really leaning toward going with Edelweiss, rather than hassling with planning a self guided tour for the FJR Forum! Starting to make more economic sense.

alps-extreme-12.JPG

Don almost this whole page is typed by you......what the fuck is up with you do you like talking to yourself..??????????? now fuck off to Mexico already will you.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :dribble: :dribble:

R

Don almost this whole page is typed by you......what the fuck is up with you do you like talking to yourself..??????????? now fuck off to Mexico already will you.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :dribble: :dribble:

R
Brother Richard, I am priming the ye olde pump for the FJR Forum Alps Trip. My Friend Uri Schumm and I have been negotiating rates with Werner Wachter, Owner of Edelweiss Bike Tours, through his Operations Manager Karin. Look for the dates of August 19-26 of 2012. We have already been offered a 5% discount, but Uri and I are looking for 10% from EBT. Herr Wachter is supposed to get back to us next week and I will post up to both www.fjrforum.com and to www.azbeemers.org/forum

Our SkooterG said he may even go out and get a job so he can earn the money to ride the Alps, UNBELIEVABLE! Adios Mi Muchacho, SkootyG and I are riding off to Old Mexico!

I've been viewing this thread with interest even if Richard hasn't.

Maybe I will save up enough $$ next year to actually DO this thing...one question though...can I ride like a crazy bastard and not get kicked off the tour? Or are they strict about that sort of thing?

Not too crazy...just Hooterville or SE Ohio Ramble spirited....yes...spirited is the word. Richard just calls it "slow".

I've been viewing this thread with interest even if Richard hasn't.

Maybe I will save up enough $$ next year to actually DO this thing...one question though...can I ride like a crazy bastard and not get kicked off the tour? Or are they strict about that sort of thing?

Not too crazy...just Hooterville or SE Ohio Ramble spirited....yes...spirited is the word. Richard just calls it "slow".
Brother Mark, If you were to select one of the "Base" Motorcycles (BMW G650GS, Honda CBF600S or Honda Transalp-I'm renting a Transalp!) and shared a room with another rider your cost would be $2,200. With the negotiated discount Uri and I have received it drops your price to $2,090. Uri is calling Mieming, Austria to get 10% from Karin, but we will just have to see how that goes. Uri's first language is German, so he calls Karin directly on Skype. Uri's second language is Hebrew and his third language is English.

Dr. Bob Flanders, Uri Schumm and Don Stanley have been on a total of nine Edelweiss Bike Tours over the last two decades, three tours for each of us; some together and some going solo. EBT does not care how fast you ride their motos, you are responsible for the machine; I always buy the maximum insurance, you would be foolish to not buy the maximum bike coverage. You DO NOT have to ride with the EBT Tour Guide, even though Bob, Uri and I usually do. When I rode the EBT High Alpine Tour back in 2004, our Group Tour Guide was Markus Hellrigl from Innsbruck. Markus was a Road Racing Champion. Chances are very good that Markus will once again be our guide, I have personally asked that he leads our tour. If you can keep up with Markus, Good Luck!

If you have more detailed questions on this particular "Alps Extreme" Tour, I have e-mail address for Markus and he'll answer you.

resized_e1c6b6fc3a797ff5f9be10b8ea4b226b.png

One last comment about speed, and both David "Orestes" Clarke and I have mentioned this before: You get a "free pass" speeding out in the rural countryside, but Der Polizie will bust your ass in their cities and villages. Look at it from their point of view! Their families and friends live in these tiny villages, hamlets and towns: They do not want their "loved ones" put in danger and they will severely fine you. When Uri and I rode the EBT Andalucia Adventure in Spain in 2004 we had two fellow participants from Atlanta who got tagged for two 100 Euro fines in the same damn day.

Our "Georgia Boys" Will and Rob got tagged 100 Euros each for speeding, payable on the spot-Spanish Law, in the morning in Antequera and then in the afternoon in Ronda for another 100 Euros each for speeding. Approximately $300 USD spent each on traffic fines for that day, plus losing an hour at each traffic stop. A pretty expensive way to spend your Euro ride!

Thanks for the info. Don. I don't speed in towns for the same reason...I don't want to hurt a little kid or someone's dog or get a ticket.

I was just kidding about the spirited riding. Whether I'm riding in Hooterville or SE Ohio, I find that about half are faster than me in the curves and half are slower than me.

I do tend to pass slower vehicles when they appear in front of me. I do have a throttle and know how to use it. ;)

Thanks for the info. Don. I don't speed in towns for the same reason...I don't want to hurt a little kid or someone's dog or get a ticket.

I was just kidding about the spirited riding. Whether I'm riding in Hooterville or SE Ohio, I find that about half are faster than me in the curves and half are slower than me.

I do tend to pass slower vehicles when they appear in front of me. I do have a throttle and know how to use it. ;)
Here is the e-mail of my Friend Markus: [email protected] Just address any questions you may have about our proposed Tour to Herr Hellrigl and he will reply as soon as he can. Markus is the kind of guy that you will be great friends with by the end of the first day of riding. Super Tour Guide!

Your description of your riding, and my riding with you and Karl in California last spring, tells me that you will fit in perfectly with the AZ Beemers crew: Not too fast and not too slow, but just right!

I just got the new Eidelweiss Tours catalogue last nite. It'll be dog eared within a week. Someday, for sure.

Boy this trip is very tempting, :glare: God willing, and if I can still ride a bike, :unsure: I'm in...if you'd have me. :rolleyes: