For those of you planning a European Alpine M/C trip.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy this trip is very tempting, :glare: God willing, and if I can still ride a bike, :unsure: I'm in...if you'd have me. :rolleyes:
Herr Petey, please consider yourself my room mate. We roomed together at SW-FOG 2011 and we got along just fine sharing a room!

Here are the AZ Beemers who are already committing their $500 deposit money to this trip and who they are rooming with: 1) Uri Schumm and Dr. Bob Flanders. 2) Bruce Cain and Gary Miller. 3) Brian Boles and Bob Little.

I was holding out selecting a room mate just in case my illegitimate Bastard son SkooterG can really come along. But to Hell with him, I would rather room with you!

FOOTNOTE: I actually am flying into Berlin with Donna on Monday, August 13, 2012. You also would certainly be welcome to join Donna and I in sightseeing Berlin, finally setting foot in Berlin has been a bucket list item of mine for 42 years. Donna and I are then traveling on to Munchen from Berlin on the High Speed ICE Express Train. Donna will fly home to Phoenix on Monday, August 19.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy this trip is very tempting, :glare: God willing, and if I can still ride a bike, :unsure: I'm in...if you'd have me. :rolleyes:
Herr Petey, please consider yourself my room mate. We roomed together at SW-FOG 2011 and we got along just fine sharing a room!

I was holding out selecting a room mate just in case my illegitimate Bastard son SkooterG can really come along. But to Hell with him, I would rather room with you!
Don, thanks,consider me your room mate for the trip to the Alps. Don, you speak of $500 deposit, when and to whom is it to be paid?

Don, thanks,consider me your room mate for the trip to the Alps. Don, you speak of $500 deposit, when and to whom is it to be paid?
Petey: Uri, Skooty and I, along with five others, are riding our bikes to Mexico early in the morning. I will start a new thread a week from today with all of the details on there, covering the deposit, flight plans and when final payments are due. Greg will pin it to the Europe section and any interested parties can ask questions and receive direction from that new thread. I'll be back en Estados Unido on Monday.

Petey: Uri, Skooty and I, along with five others, are riding our bikes to Mexico early in the morning. I will start a new thread a week from today with all of the details on there, covering the deposit, flight plans and when final payments are due. Greg will pin it to the Europe section and any interested parties can ask questions and receive direction from that new thread. I'll be back en Estados Unido on Monday.
Great!... You guys have a fun and safe trip. :)

Guten Tag Petey und WheatonFJR,

Bitte, give Uri and I another week to negotiate the details of our Alps Extreme Tour. We have discovered through Karin of Edelweiss that we may be able to arrange our own special Alps and Dolomites custom Forums trip at lesser rates and a better bike selection; and geared to our being expert riders. Here is Uri's correspondence with Karin as of just a few minutes ago.

Auf Wiedersehen, BeemerDonS

Hello Karin,

Thanks for your response. These are the basics of our plan for either our custom Alps Extreme Tour or the one already scheduled in your catalog:

We will have 10 to 12 solo riders.Kindly quote us the custom tour price for each of these numbers.

The tour must begin and end in August, 2012. You may select the dates. Mid-week would be okay too.

It is my understanding that if we book a private tour we get our choice of motorcycles. Is that correct? If so, please include models and their respective prices.

We would expect the same hotels or ones of similar quality as you have on the Alps Extreme Tour.

If at all possible, we would like to have Markus H. or Axel Pabst as our guide.

We are prepared to commit to this trip with deposits by December 15, 2012.

Between Don Stanley, Bob Flanders and myself, we have 8 Edelweiss tours completed. Most of our riding friends have heard us tell about our excellent experiences with Edelweiss and have read at least my trip reports and seen pictures from all three of us. I have a high degree of confidence that we can have the number of riders necessary in a timely manner for this trip.Please write back to me as soon as you have the information I have asked for.

I will call you Tuesday early morning my time to discuss any issues not mentioned in this letter.

Best regards,

Uri

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Karin Gritsch <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Uri,

Again, thank you very much for calling the other day. I am sorry that it took so long to get back to you but my colleague was not in the office and I had to make sure the information I pass on to you is the most accurate we have.

If you come with a group of friends we will be able to give you Triumph Tiger 800 or Suzuki V-Strom bikes with side cases and top cases. I am not sure how much you can put in the top cases but think this will not be a problem.

As I said on the phone, if you want your own tour date with your group of friends only we would need about 10 people to make this tour happen. Of course, it would work with less too but the price will be cheaper with each person you add to your group. In order to make an offer for you I would need to know 1) the tour date you prefer to travel 2) if you would be willing to book your group on a regular tour date with others (this would be the cheapest way) 3) how many riders and how many passengers you are.

All other details can be discussed once you agree to our offer.

If you have any questions Uri please just let me know. I would have called but today I am leaving the office at 3 pm our time and I think at this time you are still sleeping.

It was so nice to talk to you and I hope we can make everything work.

Have a great day,

Karin

EDELWEISS BIKE TRAVEL

KARIN GRITSCH

Marketing & Communication

Sportplatzweg 14

6414 Mieming/Austria

[email protected]

www.edelweissbike.com

Tel: +43.5264.5690-10

Fax: +43.5264.5690-3

--

"Life hands us a number of cards at the beginning of the game. We cannot choose them, but we can choose how we play them."

Carlos Luis Zafon, contemporary Spanish writer

Thanks Don for the update.

FYI, I think Uri had a typo in his response to Edelweiss...he said August 2012 ...instead of August 2013.

Thanks Don for the update.

FYI, I think Uri had a typo in his response to Edelweiss...he said August 2012 ...instead of August 2013.
No Mark, Uri is actually correct with August 2012. This isn't the full blown Alps Extreme FJR Forum Tour thread, that will go up under "Europe" next week; with Admin SkooterG pinning it for his Papa Chuy, which will cost me a sixer of Boston Lager.

Why did I move up the Alps Tour a year? Hate to sound melancholy, distraught or sad: But, the Death of my Good Friend Greg "Good2Go" Guillermo has really affected me. Greg died much too young and he had way too much motorcycling and living to do.

I turned 63 last Friday, and maybe it is the Deer Strike that Seth and I experienced on 10/13, but I am now starting to hear footsteps. By that, I mean I want to cram all of my Bucket List items into play as soon as I can: While I still can. Thus, Alps in 2012!

I posted 2012 in previous posts #73 "Look for the dates of August 19-26 of 2012." and #80: FOOTNOTE: I actually am flying into Berlin with Donna on Monday, August 13, 2012. You also would certainly be welcome to join Donna and I in sightseeing Berlin, finally setting foot in Berlin has been a bucket list item of mine for 42 years. Donna and I are then traveling on to Munchen from Berlin on the High Speed ICE Express Train. Donna will fly home to Phoenix on Monday, August 19.

Well Don..I misread...sorry. I saw the 2013 in posts 49 and 50 and didn't follow along carefully enough I guess.

I am out then unfortunately for 2012... :(

Well Don..I misread...sorry. I saw the 2013 in posts 49 and 50 and didn't follow along carefully enough I guess.

Well wheatie I did the same. :eek: .. misread and planned for 2013. So that has me looking at this trip in a different way, :unsure: since I planned and must do, the trip to NAFO #3 next year. B)

Well wheatie I did the same. :eek: .. misread and planned for 2013. So that has me looking at this trip in a different way, :unsure: since I planned and must do, the trip to NAFO #3 next year. B)
Brother Mark, We of AZ Beemers and FJR Forum Alps Riders will do reconnaissance for you when you do ride the Alps in 2013!

Herr Petey, I'm with you Friend. Seth and I'll be at NAFO #3 in 2012. There'll be hot Canadian babes there, Papa can't miss them!

Don,

I don't usually plan this far out, but this one sounds good to me!
Hola Roberto, Here is a very recent Dolomites Ride Video produced by a very close friend of SkooterG and Papa Chuy: "teerex51" Stefano Sarao of Milan, IT.

Stef is the Gentleman that organized the Ride of the Pyrenees that Dr. Bob Flanders and I went on a few years ago.  "teerex51" is the President of the Italian FJR Forum and I am really hoping that he and his Italian friends will meet up with us somewhere in the Alps / Dolomites; perhaps in the Village of Levico, IT.  

Brother Mark, We of AZ Beemers and FJR Forum Alps Riders will do reconnaissance for you when you do ride the Alps in 2013!

Herr Petey, I'm with you Friend. Seth and I'll be at NAFO #3 in 2012. There'll be hot Canadian babes there, Papa can't miss them!
Hey Don...What kind of money are we looking at if Carrie and I go? This may be something we can pull off...

We'll go for our anniversary. I'll surprise the wife with "Guess where we are going." She'll shit. :eek:

Edit: I think I just found it...Would it be $2090 per person, or is the second person cheaper becase part of the fee is the bike?

Hey Don...What kind of money are we looking at if Carrie and I go? This may be something we can pull off...

We'll go for our anniversary. I'll surprise the wife with "Guess where we are going." She'll shit. :eek:

Edit: I think I just found it...Would it be $2,080 per person, or is the second person cheaper becase part of the fee is the bike?
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=141814&pid=910723&st=0entry910723 All of the Alps Ride information is now here, but you are correct on the $2,080 per person, if you two rode two up on a BMW F800GS and You and Carrie share a room (Why she would want to sleep with you is beyond me, ese!).

Also, if we can get a minimum of 10 participants Edelweiss Bike Tours is going to extend a 5% discount to FJR Forum Members. So, the $2,080 per person will drop to $1,976 per person!

https://www.fjrforum....=0 All of the Alps Ride information is now here, but you are correct on the $2,080 per person, if you two rode two up on a BMW F800GS and You and Carrie share a room (Why she would want to sleep with you is beyond me, ese!).

Also, if we can get a minimum of 10 participants Edelweiss Bike Tours is going to extend a 5% discount to FJR Forum Members. So, the $2,080 per person will drop to $1,976 per person!
WOW. That's like saying if you are from the FJRForum, we'll pay for your dinner and beer each day!

:yahoo:

...wish I could make it. I love free food and beer and riding in the Alps...

Mister Mark und Herr Petey, if you two are going to ride Europe in 2013 and are considering going with a group: Here are some Tour Companies I will recommend to you:

"Europe" is a big place. Where do you want to ride?

Beach's & Edelweiss are both excellent companies, for where they go.

https://www.beachs-mca.com/ Europe including Corsica and Sardinia.

https://www.edelweissbike.com/ Worldwide.

As others note, your ride/ tour experience is likely to be more "personal" with

Beach--assuming they offer an itinerary you want to ride--Rob guides every tour.

There are many Euro tour companies. If your interest extends outside the usual "Alps", consider:

https://www.imtbike.com/ for Spain/ Portugal/ Morocco

https://www.smtours.com/ for the Adriatic/ Balkans and parts of Eastern Europe

https://www.ayresadventures.com/Tours_Europe.aspx for (even) more luxury

https://www.mototouring.com/index.php?id=16&catId=19 for southern Italy/ Sicily

https://www.motodiscovery.com/Motorcycle-Tours/Europe-Motorcycle-Tours, for Turkey & Eastern Europe

Of course you can also rent (or ship) and make your own tour.

Enjoy, whatever the choice !