Ford Ranger 4WD not engaging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
I know a bit about motors, but am fairly clueless on how 4WD works. 

My 2001 Ford Ranger will not go into 4WD. No noticeable sound when the switch is turned. No light displayed.

What should I check here? What are possible causes?

I was told a long time ago by a mechanic friend the mechanism to engage the 4WD is moved by vacuum (as is with most modern pick ups).  He said they are notorious for freezing up in cold weather and not moving.  I don't personally know if that is true. 

I do know that my 2006 Dodge 3500 diesel has manual lever on the floor that physically engages the 4WD.

You may have to get under the truck. My 2000 Explorer went into 4wd and would not come out. It did not like to turn on dry pavement. good luck

Mines not a manual lever. It’s a switch on the dash for 4WD “high”, which is supposed to switch on the fly, to 4WD “low” where you need to be stopped and turn it there with your foot on the brake to engage.

I assume being a switch, it’s an electronic system, using a solenoid to use some type of motor to transfer power to the front axle.

It worked yesterday when it was 13F outside. Was same temperature this morning, but no go. Luckily the roads were clear enough  4WD wasn’t really needed. 

Mines not a manual lever. It’s a switch on the dash for 4WD “high”, which is supposed to switch on the fly, to 4WD “low” where you need to be stopped and turn it there with your foot on the brake to engage.  I assume being a switch, it’s an electronic system, using a solenoid to use some type of motor to transfer power to the front axle.  It worked yesterday when it was 13F outside. Was same temperature this morning, but no go. Luckily the roads were clear enough  4WD wasn’t really needed. 
Knifemaker,

I would still like to have the truck inside someplace warm (60+ degrees F) for the night, and then try it again.  You may be missing some "enable" step, maybe one you did without thinking in the past, so a check of the Owners' Manual might help.  When I got a newer car, I didn't know why but I could only get it out of Park about half the time (depending on whether I had my foot on the brakes, or not).    :rolleyes:     Took a call to my mechanic, to get that issue sorted out.

I don’t think it’s a matter of temperature. After a 20  mile ride home going into my subdivision with crappy roads, I’d imagine the motor would be warm enough at that point, but it wouldn’t go into 4WD. 

I have no place available to me here to introduce the vehicle to 60 degree temperatures. It’s 18 out and not going to get any warmer. 

It worked fine on a 13 degree day, but didn’t on another. I’m pretty sure it’s a failure in the system. I just need to know what to look at here.  

for some reason Ford applies a constant vacuum to the hubs to keep them disengaged [2 wheel drive mode] poor design. The constant suction on the spinning hubs results in water [salt] being drawn in which will freeze  them in either 2 or 4 wheel drive...especially as the seals wear..Check for vacuum at each hub...if none check the control on the firewall...if vacuum is present the hubs will need to be cleaned or replaced...

I know nothing about Fords, but my Chevy had a solenoid in the transfer case that would engage 4WD. My solenoid failed and it would not go into 4WD.

FWIW, I also had an old Suburban that would not go into 4WD because the drive shaft to the front differential had rusted and broken off.

Wouldn't you get better answers on a Ford Ranger forum?
Sure would. Just thought I’d check here to see if anyone had some experience with this.  

I believe Ford also uses a solenoid in the transfer case to switch drive. As I hear nothing when I turn the knob, it’s ether a fuse or the solenoid is shot.

Too freaking cold here to  work on a vehicle. Likely will just take it to a shop.

It is simple enough to put a meter on the wires that plug into the solenoid to see if voltage is applied when it is trying to engage 4WD. If you have voltage but the solenoid is not moving then replace the solenoid. On my old Chevy it was very easy to get to it.

Latest posts