Forest Rat Dead, Bike Dead, Rider OK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But.. I need my daily commuter bike back. I can't afford the fuel to drive my truck every day. Yes, I do live on a tight budget.
Man, I can relate to that. For the 6 weeks the FJR was being repaired, I drove my truck, a V8. 40 mpg vs 15 mpg adds up at the pump.

No, it was real, but oil to run it costs a lot!

Perhaps you could modify the technology used in hospital operating and emergency rooms. They have a thing called the cell saver. When a patient is bleeding badly from internal injuries, the collected blood goes into a sealed container then back into the patient.

You could come up with something similar for the HD, and make your fortune. America would no longer need to rely on foreign oil. Parking lot surfaces would remain clean and dry. What a gift this would be to the environment.

Jill

Ok, most won't GAS about this post.. but I hope that sometime in the future I can look back at this thread, see the evolution, smile and remember that it 'wasn't all that bad'..

because right now I'm not a happy camper. Just got word that after 2+ weeks the lizard ins adjuster had *finally* faxed the paperwork back to the dealer stating 'We agree with the claim' and 'will fund' it.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I could afford driving the 10 mpg truck back and forth to work / and or trailering the HD to the pavement. My FJR is my daily ride, a necessity, not a weekend luxury liner ride.. This seems to be the key element the Geico rep doens't understand... some of us ride daily, not just when it's nice weather and the weekend..

At least now the parts can be ordered, and I/Crzy8 can enter the next phase;

a) jeesh, these parts don't look nothing like what I ordered

'b') these parts are on back order, no date given...

c) who the fool ordered these parts? they are for a Ultra Classic!

d) and so on and so forth.

In the meantime, I've put over 1.2k on the Ultra and have a serious yearning for a KTM, aka I have SmittyItis.. I guess time will tell whether or not my love for the FJR is enduring or just, over.

At least now the parts can be ordered, and I/Crzy8 can enter the next phase; a) jeesh, these parts don't look nothing like what I ordered

In the meantime, I've put over 1.2k on the Ultra and have a serious yearning for a KTM, aka I have SmittyItis.. I guess time will tell whether or not my love for the FJR is enduring or just, over.
Not to mention the regret from letting some hamfisters have their way with your mistress, and the feeling of violation that comes with receipt of the shitty job they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least now the parts can be ordered, and I/Crzy8 can enter the next phase; a) jeesh, these parts don't look nothing like what I ordered

Not to mention the regret from letting some hamfisters have their way with your mistress, and the feeling of violation that comes with receipt of the shitty job they did.
Damn Toe, that sent shivers... if they do that to her... I'll, I'll... ebay the bitch.

Don, when its all said and done just sell the 06 for top dollar looking all nice and dressed up and go get that 08 FJR or the KTM. Know what I mean? PM. <>< ;) :D

Don, when its all said and done just sell the 06 for top dollar looking all nice and dressed up and go get that 08 FJR or the KTM. Know what I mean? PM. <>< ;) :D
Don -

Be patient Grasshopper, don't do the Rash... :eek:

Hang in there Bud, it's only been 2 weeks!

4 weeks 2 days later, all parts have arrived! Ivan is scheduled to start work *tomorrow* :rolleyes: .

Since I 'removed' all the plastic already, I took Ivan the Solteks, brackets, relay, auto-switch etc... he seemed excited about doing the install. Sometimes I think Tech's too like to do something different and new.. I mentioned how others on this forum found a clean wiring run, through the vent, and Ivan replied 'As long as you can't see the wiring, I'm good with it. I hate exposed wiring, won't do any more installs if it exists.. would you be OK if ran the wire through a hole with rubber grommet? Yes I said, but after the parts arrive, and you can mock up the Solteks, take a look at using the vent hole; it appears to me that less than 1" of wiring would be visible. To which Ivan replied, 'will do, as long as it's clean, it's good - otherwise I won't do the job'.. Refreshing words indeed...

So, getting closer.. been a long and tiresome road. Looking forward to having Crzy8 back; no more trailering to the pavement with my old and not running well Ford. Today the Ford gave me a 'stuck throttle' experience while towing the trailer with no trailer brakes and only 3 brakes that work on Ol' Blue. Damn near stained me undies if you get my drift. Ended up through a ditch in a farmers field - was pleasantly and genuinely surprised to see the Harley still upright in the trailer. In earlier 'how to tie down a bike' posts I was chastised for multiple anchor points, front and rear.. but today.. will, today, I'm glad I'm paranoid and cinch them down tight because it really was an episode of 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.

4 weeks 2 days later, all parts have arrived! Ivan is scheduled to start work *tomorrow* :rolleyes: .Since I 'removed' all the plastic already, I took Ivan the Solteks, brackets, relay, auto-switch etc... he seemed excited about doing the install. Sometimes I think Tech's too like to do something different and new.. I mentioned how others on this forum found a clean wiring run, through the vent, and Ivan replied 'As long as you can't see the wiring, I'm good with it. I hate exposed wiring, won't do any more installs if it exists.. would you be OK if ran the wire through a hole with rubber grommet? Yes I said, but after the parts arrive, and you can mock up the Solteks, take a look at using the vent hole; it appears to me that less than 1" of wiring would be visible. To which Ivan replied, 'will do, as long as it's clean, it's good - otherwise I won't do the job'.. Refreshing words indeed...

So, getting closer.. been a long and tiresome road. Looking forward to having Crzy8 back; no more trailering to the pavement with my old and not running well Ford. Today the Ford gave me a 'stuck throttle' experience while towing the trailer with no trailer brakes and only 3 brakes that work on Ol' Blue. Damn near stained me undies if you get my drift. Ended up through a ditch in a farmers field - was pleasantly and genuinely surprised to see the Harley still upright in the trailer. In earlier 'how to tie down a bike' posts I was chastised for multiple anchor points, front and rear.. but today.. will, today, I'm glad I'm paranoid and cinch them down tight because it really was an episode of 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.

Your goal for Novemeber- No crashed vehicles!!!

Today the Ford gave me a 'stuck throttle' experience while towing the trailer with no trailer brakes and only 3 brakes that work on Ol' Blue. Damn near stained me undies if you get my drift. Ended up through a ditch in a farmers field - was pleasantly and genuinely surprised to see the Harley still upright in the trailer. In earlier 'how to tie down a bike' posts I was chastised for multiple anchor points, front and rear.. but today.. will, today, I'm glad I'm paranoid and cinch them down tight because it really was an episode of 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.
Kudos for tying the Harley "properly". You should have a STERN talk with Ol' Blue's mechanic..... :eek:

AANNNDDDDD here's to getting Crzy8 back in "as new" condition! :yahoo:

Surprise, surprise. 1.5 weeks later, still waiting for some internal fork part. Service manager Vince says 'part has been tracked, should be here today or Saturday, we should be done by end of next week'.

Anyone want to make a bet?

Well if it makes you feel any better Don, my dealer ordered my replacement ECU over 3 weeks ago and guess what? It stll hasn't come in......so there! And hope you get the old girl up and running soon....PM. <>< :D

Don,

Don't feel bad. Mine has been in the shop for almost 2 months. Everytime the shop thinks they found a bad part, have to wait 2-3 weeks each from Japan. Now am waiting for more parts... you guessed it, from Japan.

So I feel for you and fully understand...may it be sooner for you and not later.

December 08, 2007 and I still don't have my bike back.

What is it really like to ride an FJR?

So many excuses from my local dealer.

It seems like getting any kind of good service in my hood is damn near impossible.

I should have shipped the bike to Smitty and had him do the work.

Or shipped Sir Smitty to me! :rolleyes:

Sigh.

Latest posts