Forest Rat Dead, Bike Dead, Rider OK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Don. Wow! What an amazing accident, and how fortunate that you brought the bike to a stop and then home. It reminds me of those stories you read about the B-17 in WW-II that got all blown up by flack and shit but still made it home with the crew intact. Sorry about your bike. Having just come back from Yosemite Deer Sanctuary, I had forest rats in the back of my mind the whole time, feeling frankly helpless knowing that they suddenly just appear out of nowhere and BAM!
Does this mean we can't crash at your place after all? :rolleyes:

Jb
Wow glad you didn't go for a heli ride! I get nervous riding after dark. How fast were you going and what was the $ damage?

If this is going to happen, this is how it should happen. One less forest rat, one safe rider. Glad you're ok buddy.

This hits too close to home for my comfort!! I'm really impressed that you were able to stay alert during this event, Don, even if it was a couple years ago.

In early June I was riding the river between Ellensburg and Yakima ,WA when an unseen deer went airborn and tried to jump over me. Unfortunately I noticed it first as it was above me and falling. I killed it with my helmet, and was knocked off the bike. It slid across the highway and totaled a small pickup, and I slid on my front side 135 feet down the road concussed and unconscious....no memory for 1 1/2 hours. ATGATT!!! The gear worked except for the light gloves which both came off. I broke one finger in two places and had a bunch of hand and wrist abrasions, but was released within three hours. I'm going to be fine once my body heals and gets over the shock.

I have no recollection of the event. I didn't get to ride it through as you did, but I lucked out and did better than many who are in a cage when colliding with a deer.

I really miss riding and I'm not too happy about reading this old post, but I had to respond. I still have serious doubts about risking riding again, but I miss the twisties and the marvelous friends.

Alan

This hits too close to home for my comfort!! I'm really impressed that you were able to stay alert during this event, Don, even if it was a couple years ago.
In early June I was riding the river between Ellensburg and Yakima ,WA when an unseen deer went airborn and tried to jump over me. Unfortunately I noticed it first as it was above me and falling. I killed it with my helmet, and was knocked off the bike. It slid across the highway and totaled a small pickup, and I slid on my front side 135 feet down the road concussed and unconscious....no memory for 1 1/2 hours. ATGATT!!! The gear worked except for the light gloves which both came off. I broke one finger in two places and had a bunch of hand and wrist abrasions, but was released within three hours. I'm going to be fine once my body heals and gets over the shock.

I have no recollection of the event. I didn't get to ride it through as you did, but I lucked out and did better than many who are in a cage when colliding with a deer.

I really miss riding and I'm not too happy about reading this old post, but I had to respond. I still have serious doubts about risking riding again, but I miss the twisties and the marvelous friends.

Alan
glad ya still with us Alan and thanx for sharing...it helps to be reminded of the perils out there for all of us

wish you easy and fast healing...both physical and mental...I've never been down <knocking on desk & head> on the street, but reading of others misfortune is good for learning, but does psyche me out some :blink:

I could easily encourage you to get back on the horse, but when & if ya ready, you'll know and I hope to let us know too

Best to ya, and I know it affects your family and friends as well... :clapping:

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I still love Ducks, for the record. Just not that guy!
I found that ducks tend to explode when try to love them. :air_kiss:
That's just sick .... A human loving Ducks :sick: What the hell they ever do to you? :blink: Shit man, get a Goat, or at least a Sheep.. Damn dood! I think ya have a problem :dribble:

:jester:

In early June I was riding the river between Ellensburg and Yakima ,WA when an unseen deer went airborn and tried to jump over me. Unfortunately I noticed it first as it was above me and falling. I killed it with my helmet, and was knocked off the bike. It slid across the highway and totaled a small pickup, and I slid on my front side 135 feet down the road concussed and unconscious....no memory for 1 1/2 hours.
ZOIKS!!! Don't try this at home! You were quite fortunate to keep your neck unbroken.

Well, that makes you one bad-ass deer hunter! I killed one with an arrow once upon a time, but no head-butts....

First - glad this did not happen again.

Second - Hitting / being hit by other motorcycles, is not fun - so happy to hear DC missed the duck.

Third - Alan, WTF!!??? When you were recently writing here about your Alaskan experiences you were going through all of that? Never said a word (or did I just miss it?). Need to know basis, eh?

CLACKAMAS COUNTY, Ore. - A motorcyclist was killed in a bizarre wreck involving a deer that jumped into the bike from the side of a rural Clackamas County road Saturday morning, authorities said.
Had one hit my 96 3/4 ton diesel Dodge just below drive side mirror, 90 degree angle. Even in the truck I damn near got into the passenger seat. Me, I don't like them tick-infested good-for-nothing-but-eating forest rats.

Cello - massive hit, I am so glad you are ok. You will decide in your own time. For me, since I rode away, unscathed, it was a no-brainer. No less mental impact than 'jeesh, a meteorite may fall out of the sky tonight and hit me' kind of thing.