Forest Service Leos Setting Speed Traps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nusman68

Reaction score
Just got back from a local 250 mi. ride....just outside Houston, through the Sam Houston Nat'l Forest, among other places. Great ride on FM149 with scenery & twisties, very short though (approx. 18 mi. the specific area I'm referring to); but a good warmup for other adjacent roads; been running it for years, a biker mecca on the weekends; speed limit varies between 30 - 60 mph; we were in a 60 mph stretch, about 1/3 of the way through; my brother's out in front, he's at 70; we round a bend and I see a cop Tahoe; hit the brakes, too late; (road is 2 lanes, 2 way, blacktop) lights up, pulls out in front of me; it's the Forest Service! Writes my brother for a 70 in a 60. :( Oh, well. The irony is that usually by this time we've already waved around a flock of crotch-rockets doing 90+.

We stuck to the speed limit the rest of the way out of the woods, and there were (3)! more traps/cops set up along the way, along with a county cop hanging out with the fourth (& final) Forest service cop. Guess they were prepared should any of the sportbike crowd decide to give chase.....

In all the years we've been riding there we had never seen these guys in the area. Later we noticed another sportbike group 'takin it easy' past us while we were pulled over looking at a map; I'm sure their lead guy got nailed too...for probably a lot more than 10 mph over the limit....

Who gets the money? County? Feds? Forest Service? Easy money too...like shooting fish in a barrel for the cops....

I suspect the forest service guys are county deputized to write tickets, so the money goes into the same hopper as if you got pulled over by a county sheriff.

There is such a things as a "federal ticket" (which doesn't go on your state driving record), but I've only heard of it being written in federal parks. I got one a few years back in Glacier and paid the fairly modest fine ($75 I think) on the spot with a Visa.

- Mark

It might have been st.n, someone posted a budget for enforment in CA Palomar area with a helicopter, state & county all working together. It's going around. :assasin:

yep, those Forest guys drive around with their radar on all the time.... no surprises so get a V1 and you'll know when to fold'em bro..