Fork oil seal replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason

Reaction score
Well i went for a ride yesterday with my brother on my 06AE and discovered i have developed a leaky fork seal 4SV-23145-01-00 OIL SEAL and it is leaking pretty good. Called every yamaha dealer in town and no one had one in stock. Got one ordered up at st boni will be here tuesday and i have a trip on thursday am to the black hills.

does anyone have and illistrations on how to replace the fork oil seals on this, i heard there is a little guide washer 4SV-23115-00-00 GUIDE, COVER UPPER that can get bent and coned out that you have to be carefull about, is it possible to removed the seal without taking it all apart to avoid bending that guide. I didnt order one of them so i will have to watch out not to ruin it.

as far as reseating the seal, will a piece of pvc work like doing a dirtbike fork? Also how much fluid goes back in, i bought the maxi 5w fluid.

As you can tell i got ideas here and there from searching and reading last night, but what i really need i guess is a service manual but this all came on too late, no time to get one.

I need some help

Last edited by a moderator:
oh btw, if any of the FJR guys in the twin cities, has any of these parts oil seal or guide washer, i would be willing to pay you more than they are worth just to get one in my hands!!!

and if anyone wants to have a shock building party, I will provide the BEER!!

I live in chaska, fork is off bike and in hand waiting for parts will travel

Look at this site: FJR Tech. IIRC, there is a section for fluid flush and change.

Here, www.fjr1300.info/, in the HOW TO section, there is an article on "Fork Disassembly" that might help.

(Personally, I have the above links and www.fjr-tips.org/ bookmarked.)

You might also try Yamaha's website: www.yamaha-motor.com and work your way through the motorcycle section and check the parts manual for an exploded view of the fork.

AND, using Google, you might find an answer in one of these:

fork seal replacement site:fjrforum.com

fork spring replacement site:fjrforum.com

Sorry I don't have the exact answer you need.

all the info above i have looked at but non have torque specs and fluid levels.

Got the fork totally disassembled and now waiting for parts to show up from stealer.....Does anyone on here have some fork seals and seal spacers on hand???? perferably in the twin cities, mn area?

btw...the seal spacer was a little concaved but not too bad, still needs to be replaced.

should i replace the bushings while i got it apart?

still could use those tourque specs and fluid levels in ML not MM.

What you refer to as the "seal spacer" can be carefully hammered flat and used again, I am told.

i am going to have a nice write up and pictures when this is done, so us genII guys have a nice shock rebuild article.

Whenever I hear "Hammer" referenced to motorcycle technical/mechanical problems -- I get a little 'edgy'. While I understand that there may be many who can successfully wield such a tool, I'm concerned when it's brought into a discussion started with basic repair questions.

Maybe an arbor press, a hydraulic press, a vice with soft-jaws? (barring a new-replacement -- as 'radman' says).

Keep that hammer in the bottom of the tool box -- far away from anything to do with your motorcycle or its parts. (jmo) :huh:

well my parts came in and i picked them up yesterday..

you cannot believe the difference in the seal spacer i took out vs. the new one. they must hammer them home with a impact at the factory and bend the crap out of them, because i didnt bend it coming out.

I will get pics on here when i get them.

hey Jason

I just had to replace both sets of fork bushings (only one side really needed it)

The bushings have a TFE coating, for some reason the right fork external bushing had lost all of its coating. Found bits of it in the fork oil.

I knew I was feeling something strange up front, the weebles or woobles or some kind of flexing, especially when hard driving into left or right hand turns. if i did any trail braking at all this just made it worse. So I never could get the suspension set right. I swear I tested that thing in every possible combination.

Now I know why it didnt work, without the coating on the bushing it just allowed oil to flush past!

Just got it fixed and headed to Golden CO, nothing like a 5K road trip to get a couple of bushings broke in.