Former XS1100 Owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog9

Reaction score
As I look across the forum and see former rides, I see a bunch of guys who used to or still own XS11's.

The XS11 was my first Yamaha, and I still own the one I bought in 1984 with like 700 miles on it. Many others have come and gone, but this is my enduring favorite. STILL gets the looks, and stands out among all the crotch rockets and crusiers.

I would take my XS11 cross country tomorrow (well, if I put a touring seat back on it) super fast, reliable, comfortable, clumsy as an OX, I think the Cycle Rags used to call it "King Kong in a Tux" I dont attach to bikes/cars and usually buy/sell/trade without hesitation, but not this bike. I will always own an XS 11.

How many of you guys have or still own one of these gems?

I sold my pair to a guy two hours away. The first one I bought brand new in the spring of 1978. Just like the FJR I bought before I even rode it. At least I sat on the FJR many times before I bought it.

The second when I got back into motorcycles again. A 1978 model again with less kilometers... Stopped riding it when the valves mated up with the pistons.

I still attend XS11 EAST every year.... this year it's in Brattleboro VT several XS,XJ show up for it.

I had a 1979 XS ELEVEN special, brought brand new based on the brochure. It was my second bike after a 1977 CB550F.

I would STILL have that bike today if some asshats in Oklahoma City didn't steal it from me when it was only 11 months out of the box. :(

Back in my stupider days, I was challenged to a drag race vs a 1978 GS1000. I won. 135 mph at redline if I recall. (Of course, this was not on a street, as that would be illegal) :)

I sold my pair to a guy two hours away. The first one I bought brand new in the spring of 1978. Just like the FJR I bought before I even rode it. At least I sat on the FJR many times before I bought it. The second when I got back into motorcycles again. A 1978 model again with less kilometers... Stopped riding it when the valves mated up with the pistons.

I still attend XS11 EAST every year.... this year it's in Brattleboro VT several XS,XJ show up for it.
Wow, I organized the first XS East, back in 96 I think? Was in PA, a good group. Were you there? I had the White SF "Visitation" Next Year was Toronto, then West Virginia and the last one I went on..... Great group of guys.

Wow, I organized the first XS East, back in 96 I think? Was in PA, a good group. Were you there? I had the White SF "Visitation" Next Year was Toronto, then West Virginia and the last one I went on..... Great group of guys.
The first one I attended was in 2002 in Alexandria Bay NY

It has almost become the former owners of XS11 but like I said There are still XS,XJ that show up and actually ridden there and for the whole weekend and back home.

The first one I attended was in 2002 in Alexandria Bay NY

It has almost become the former owners of XS11 but like I said There are still XS,XJ that show up and actually ridden there and for the whole weekend and back home.
Yeah, Darrell ***** is a buddy, he is an original owner of his XS, who will ride his, he has gone to every one I think. And get this..... He still has the ORIGINAL spark plugs in his bike.... Is that nuts?? Gary ******* I think has become the main guy now, and he moved away from the XS years ago. I will be back East this summer, wont be able to make the ride though. Cant believe that was 13 years ago, will never forget the day I found the XS11 owners association on the web. I thought I was the last living owner of one, and found many more.

I still love to ride my XS, had retired it at 100K miles when I bought my Concours, but put it back on the road in 05 after my FZ1 wreck and put 27K on it since, still no repairs, just fluids and pads. Man that thign has NO braking power.... lol. I've adapted to the handling and can keep pace with teh best of them, but over the years I upgraded it, with progressive springs in the front, a custom fork brace, and had the rear shocks re-built. I think I also had some frame stiffening back in the late 80's eary 90's but that was forever ago.....

I plan to keep my FJR for as long as humanly possible, that is one of the reasons I bought a non ABS A Model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned two of them in the past. Both were good bikes that never broke. I think Turbo Dave has a couple of them and MM2 has one taking up space in his garage waiting for him to fix the transmission.

I bought my XS1100G new in '80 and sold it in mid-'88 with well over 120K miles on it. Regular maintenance, avg. 2 sets tires/yr, and only 1 significant repair that I can recall (final drive seal). I loved that old pig.... <sniff> She got me everywhere I needed to go through some pretty miserable riding conditions at times.

1980YamahaXS100G.jpg

The stock bike I owned looked identical like the one above (two-tone diamond silver), but I added a color-matched Vetter Windjammer fairing and lowers, and a tail rack with back rest shortly after buying it. What a great bike. I often wonder whether she's still on the road..?

MM2 has one taking up space in his garage waiting for him to fix the transmission.
Umm not anymore :whistle:

Mike finally found the person he feels is right to inherit his '79 XS1100 Special.

I've just returned from Elk Grove, and the XS that resided in Mikes garage now resides next to my FJR. I must say it's one nice piece of machinery! Mike to excellent care of her! I intend to repair the tranny and anything else that's needed to get her back up and in service :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

This was my '79 standard model which I bought brand new with 0 miles in '82. Commuted 50 miles a day for two year and weekends around SoCal foot hills. One of several bikes I wish I'd kept.

xs100f.jpg

i too own a '80 XS1100G. it used to look like the "G" model in sock's post but i repainted it in 1990. it is a beautiful shade of '90 corvette yellow.

she has been sitting more than i like to admit, only because the FJR is so much better. i get the XS out about once a month to blow the cob webs out. she is in need of a few minor repairs and adjustments which will happen in the very near future.

i have owned the bike for 23 years, 3 years longer than i was married. i have toyed with selling her, but i doubt i ever will, it fits me to a "T".

cadman

After several years of playing in the dirt, a new 1980 XS Special was my first street bike...love at first sight.

25 years later, gave it to a kid for his high school graduation. He rode it for a coupla years, sold it and bought a Kawa Mean Steak. At least I ruined him for life!

On a ride we took:

Dsc00339.jpg

I had an 81 XS11 Special (SH) that I wish I still owned. Had one of those National Cycle windshields on it, too.

Can't tell you how many times I had those carbs apart, one time on the road. My wife (now, ex- wife; ahem) used to think I wore carb cleaner as cologne.

Great bike though. Lotsa grunt. The Midnight Specials were beautiful machines.

Jim

I have fond memories of the new 1978 XS11 that I bought a few months after their introduction. I was a wonderful machine - perfect for eating up lots of highway miles. It was the most stable bike I've ever ridden. For instance, (Ahem. I've told this story before, but it's a short story and I enjoy telling it! :) ):

One early morning in northern Florida en route on I-75 toward Atlanta, it was still a bit nippy out. So I tucked by hands under my armpits and rode along just steering using body "english", enjoying the miles and miles of gently curving highway. I got comfortable enough doing this that I scooted back a bit to find a better seating position. And in fact, in a very little while, I found I'd scooted all the way back to the passenger back rest. No traffic, nice roadway, so no worries.

Along comes a station wagon - a Dad hauling a bunch of kids, and as it pulls along side me, an excited six year old points out his open window and turns to his father and exclaims, "Dad! Dad! That motorcycle has no driver!"

Truer words were never said...
;)

I have fond memories of the new 1978 XS11 that I bought a few months after their introduction. I was a wonderful machine - perfect for eating up lots of highway miles. It was the most stable bike I've ever ridden. For instance, (Ahem. I've told this story before, but it's a short story and I enjoy telling it! :) ):

One early morning in northern Florida en route on I-75 toward Atlanta, it was still a bit nippy out. So I tucked by hands under my armpits and rode along just steering using body "english", enjoying the miles and miles of gently curving highway. I got comfortable enough doing this that I scooted back a bit to find a better seating position. And in fact, in a very little while, I found I'd scooted all the way back to the passenger back rest. No traffic, nice roadway, so no worries.

Along comes a station wagon - a Dad hauling a bunch of kids, and as it pulls along side me, an excited six year old points out his open window and turns to his father and exclaims, "Dad! Dad! That motorcycle has no driver!"

Truer words were never said...
;)
Youre right, is very stable..... LOL Great story. Now full application of the throttle in and out of twisties, and technical stuff??? You better have an empty bladder/bowels rock solid reflexes and an appitite for excitement.........

This was my '79 standard model which I bought brand new with 0 miles in '82. Commuted 50 miles a day for two year and weekends around SoCal foot hills. One of several bikes I wish I'd kept.
xs100f.jpg
Is that a Nava helmet ???

I have mine from 1982 but the liner sheds badly into my hair

Used it riding my '82 Suzy GS550E where my now wife fell in love with me

I'm someday gonna write a country song and make my fortune "I fell in love on the Destrehan Bridge"