Fortuna for Salmon Oct 19th, 20th and 21st

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluestreek

Bluestreek
Reaction score
Momma's got a hankering for some fresh fish so were going to Fortuna for some salmon.

If all goes as planned we will leave Marysville Friday morning and head north on 70 to Oroville and take 149 NW to 99 north to Red Bluff where we will pick up 36 west to Hwy 3 where we will then turn north and ride that fun road all the way to Yreka. We will be spending the night there at the Comfort Inn.

Friday Marysville to Yreka 307 miles

Saturday morning we will head out on 96 west and then south to 299. We will take 299 east to Hwy 3 and then go south to Hwy 36 where we will go west to Fortuna. There's plenty of places where this route can be shortened in case anyone is having too much fun

We will be spending the night in Eureka (Not Fortuna) at the Comfort Inn. Hopefully Momma will get her fill of fresh fish for dinner

Saturday Yreka to Eureka 339 miles

Sunday morning we will head over to the Somoa Cookhouse for breakfast

After breakfast we will head down 101 to hwy 211 where we will head west to Mattole road. When we hit the coast we will head south. We will stay on Mattole rd till it comes out on 101.

If we have time we will head south on the Redwood hwy After we will follow 101 south to Leggett where we will again turn west and head for the coast. Once there we will head south to Ft Bragg.

This is where we will pick up hwy 20 and head back to Marysville

Sunday Eureka to Marysville 370 miles

Anyone that would like to join us for all or part of this ride will be welcome.

I will have this on map source. If anyone is interested pm me your e-mail and I will e-mail it to you.

I have been checking hotel rooms and there all booking up fast. If you want to go you should book your room ASAP. You can always cancel if you change your mind.

Fortuna and the 36 are too much fun. Wish I had those roads in my backyard! Have a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, sure sounds great. Won't be able to join you as SPANK is the same weekend, but you've got a nice route and certainly some good fun on the agenda. If the rally points us up that way (and my guess is that it will) perhaps we'll see you on the road somewhere.

Note lots of road construciton on the lower (east) end of 36 (recent pic here). Also, on your way to Yreka via hwy3, if you have tme, consider taking Scott Valley Road to 96 and then down 263 to Yreaka. ....it'll add a few miles, but Scott Valley road is a real treat and 96 is much more fun than the lower section of hwy3 ...and 263 is kida cool, you'll recognize some of the high bridges from various car commercials. (map clicky)

Just some casual thoughts, if i wasn't already committed -I'd be on this ride quicker than the 2nd helping at the Samoa Cookhouse LOL.

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, sure sounds great. Won't be able to join you as SPANK is the same weekend, but you've got a nice route and certainly some good fun on the agenda. If the rally points us up that way (and my guess is that it will) perhaps we'll see you on the road somewhere.
Note lots of road construciton on the lower (east) end of 36 (recent pic here). Also, on your way to Yreka via hwy3, if you have tme, consider taking Scott Valley Road to 96 and then down 263 to Yreaka. ....it'll add a few miles, but Scott Valley road is a real treat and 96 is much more fun than the lower section of hwy3 ...and 263 is kida cool, you'll recognize some of the high bridges from various car commercials. (map clicky)

Just some casual thoughts, if i wasn't already committed -I'd be on this ride quicker than the 2nd helping at the Samoa Cookhouse LOL.

Have fun.
Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking the little woman will be ready to get off the bike by the time we get up there, but it is always an option.

I've done 36, 299 1 and 101. The rest are all new to me unless you count riding in the car.

Its getting a little late in the year now but if you want to go over there in the spring I'll go with you.

Put us down in the " almost for sure " section. :)

I have read on another board that Mattole is pretty torn up right now. I'm meeting a friend next weekend that lives off of that road and I'll get local input for you.

Put us down in the " almost for sure " section. :)
I have read on another board that Mattole is pretty torn up right now. I'm meeting a friend next weekend that lives off of that road and I'll get local input for you.
I've heard that it was a little on the rough side. I may have to save it for the KLR

Dang Steve, I'd love to join in on this one as I've been dyin' to ride this area for a long time now but this is the same weekend I commit each year to an annual fishing trip to Eagle Lake with my work mates.

I would like to have a copy of your MapSource route as it sounds like a good ride and I may be able to do it solo a couple of weeks later. I'll PM my e-mail address.

You guys have a good ride,

Rob

Steve, I want to go on this, but I have to fly back to Colorado for a week to visit with my parents. I'll probably be in Colorado when you are on this ride :(

If I'm not snow bound by then I will try to meet up in Yreka and follow you out to the coast. probably have breakfast with you on Sunday and then head north. :)

If I'm not snow bound by then I will try to meet up in Yreka and follow you out to the coast. probably have breakfast with you on Sunday and then head north. :)
Glad to have ya Ray

I will PM you my cell phone number before we leave and we can figure out a place to meet

Another teaser or two

Samoa Cookhouse

38.jpg

Hwy 36

32.jpg

Keeping an eye on the Weather. No snow so far and this current storm is to warm to snow.

Lets get going folks this could be the last ride this far north this year. :)

You have a great ride planned. The wife and I did that one last year over a weekend. A lot of miles for 2 days but really fun. I wish I could go, but alas, work and all. Have fun.

When we did the Hwy 36 ride last year, FJRay and I road the "Lost Coast" (Matolle Rd. from Ferndale) and came into the Humboldt Redwoods from the ocean side. A really nice ride....made better by he riding companion and it was fun meeting exskibum and Rosevillefeej coming the other way.

You guys are going to like this ride! Have fun for me, too....... :D

It's snowing pretty good here at the moment. Might have to look for the chains. The weather for norcal looks like it might be a little wet but to warm for snow. If I can make it ot and back I will see ya in Yreka Friday afternoon. :D