Forum Member FJRayJ has passed away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjrchik

Just a girl in the world, having rode 3 FJRs
Reaction score
Everette Ray Jones, FJRayJ from Arlington, TX, 58, passed away on Christmas Day. He struggled in the hospital for a week with a very bad bacterial infection which let to septic shock. Ray was diagnosed with Leukemia about 3 years ago. He was in remission for 2 years then last April it came back. Although the cancer was in remission agan, he had complications with graft vs host. (his body's immune system fighting with the new blood from his bone marrow transplant) There were sores on his legs and feet from this disease. Since last October, he was wheel chair bound because it was so painful to walk. He was working full time until the day he was admitted to the hospital. Quite a strong man, he did not want the disease to take over his life.

Ray's wife, Teri, has asked me to share with his DFW friends how much he enjoyed his rides with us and his trip to SFO-1 in October, 2006. I had recently been PMing with Ray about his being able to make SFO 08 and he was really optimistic and excited about getting back on the FJR and making the trip to Arkansas. Because the cancer was in remission again, he believed he would get his strength back and ride again soon.

Ray and Teri have a wonderful daughter, Angela, that Ray spoke of often. I remember him telling me that he wanted me to meet her, so she could get to know a female rider. Angela is living in Madison, WI and is a graduate student in Bio-Chemical Engineering.

I can tell you all that Ray was a very, very sweet man and was always willing to help me with my bike. He was kind enough to give me an extra new pair of long underwear he had with him when we were in Arkansas because I hadn't had time to buy a pair for the trip. He offered to help me with a throttle lock I had just put on the bike that wasn't behaving properly. He was a generous man, no doubt.

Below is a shot of our group at SFO-1. Ray is standing next to me, on the right. Back row, third from left.

arkansasride10510920061pg3.jpg

I will miss Ray and think fondly of him when I go back to Arkansas in April. Rest in peace Ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very sad. I so hate the word cancer, it causes so much misery and takes so many. Deepest condolences to Ray's family and friends from Graham & Sue in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness he enjoyed all that life had to offer him. And thanks for the family he loved and who loved him enough to let him stretch himself. Another "Hole in the World Tonight". Ray, you were quite a man to hold on to your dreams and plans to the very end.

Godspeed Ray, RIP! And peace to your family and friends you leave behind.

Sounds like a fighter. Always Sorry to hear of the loss of a fighter. RIP Ray

Sorry to hear of this. Prayers to Rays family and friends for peace and comfort. He sounded like a true warrior and thanks Chick for relaying the message. PM. <>< :(

Such a sad way to go. Condolences to his family and friends. It sounds like he made the best of what he had while he could. Sorry to hear this. Here's a bit of introspective from a wise friend of mine I'll share:

I know what matters, to me. As simple and fundamental a statement as that is, most people never discover the answer until they face the inevitable. We all spend a lifetime lying to ourselves about what matters to us, but when you find yourself unable to move, about to draw your last breath, that is when you really know what matters.
So what can a dead man really want? Rest assured, a dying man wants plenty. A dead man however, wants for nothing. He has everything he has ever really had and everything he will ever have with him right there at that moment. He has two things: he has his thoughts; and he has all of the time that is left to him.

The question then, is what can you really want at that moment? This is the question I've put to myself and the answer, as truth always seems to be, is simple.

All I really want, is to know that I was loved. In the time left to me, I want to immerse myself in it. I want to reflect on the bounty that has been provided me, in my lifetime, in terms of the love given and received. In such a moment, what else could matter? Where is the purpose in worry, remorse, regret? Certainly, some may have lived a life where these themes predominate. These are the ones that have saved awareness for their last moments. It is sad for them that they are left only with the shallow and superficial at the moment of truth, but that is them.

I choose to live my life differently. When my end does arrive, I will want nothing more than to know I was loved. I can measure this among the people that choose to share their lives with me. In a very literal sense, my concern does not extend beyond them.

Time is the most precious thing we possess. In my view, the way we spend it provides the measure of the man. So, the guest list at my funeral doesn't really say anything to me. My appointment book from the previous year, on the other hand, will mean everything to me. In it resides fresh memories of love and loving and of time spend in its pursuit. What more could there be?
Love and be loved in return, and the rest is small stuff....

God's speed, Ray. :bye2: :rip_1:

Now Ray can hide his FJR as much as he wants and the weather is always perfect.

Sincere condolences to Teri, Angela and all of Ray's family.

Sounds like Ray was one tough bird.

My guess is that he was one of those people who understood that life is evanescent and did his best to make the most of every moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.