Frame plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSP1967

Reaction score
Hey all,

I searched with no luck.

Do you all “plug” the spaces left behind when you remove the bags? If so, where do find the correct plugs?

Appreciate any info!

I rarely if ever remove my bags...as I think most people do. Plugs can be found at your dealer, occasionally on eBay, or at any of the motorcycle part websites that have microfiche. The latter has a thread on the forum that highlights many sources.

Hey all,

I searched with no luck.

Do you all “plug” the spaces left behind when you remove the bags? If so, where do find the correct plugs?

Appreciate any info!
I never use my plugs on the relatively rare occasions when I have the bags off. I am keeping the plugs for such time as when I sell the bike. Plugs are stupid expensive - best bet is to post for "parts wanted" to see if anyone has a set they don't want.

I think I’m going to be in the no side bags camp unless on weekend trips. Day to day I’ll have them off.

Scored a real nice used Smuggler (thanks Danh650) that has plenty of space for daily needs.

I only use the side cases when touring. I figure if (when?) I drop the bike, I will have less to repair or replace. I also never use the plugs. I figure nobody will notice those "holes" in the frame when I pass them on the highway or when I am riding the twisties or from the sidewalk when I am in town. Before anyone asks: I have no idea what I did with them.

Well. Total noob move.

After reading a lot of the feedback and comments, I realized I never actually checked inside the inner bags. I was just happy the inner bags were there!

Sure enough - all of the plugs and an extra set of clear tape was right where it should be! I’m good to go!

Thanks to all who offered ideas!

I have a low mileage 08 AE so I bit the bullet on all six plugs (two each of the three p/n) last year. Expensive pieces of plastic but I just don't like the look of the exposed holes. I use a rear seat bag and don't need the 25lb of empty bag weight for my day rides. The bike looks too good to not take care of the details.

Latest posts