Frame Tee - stripped threads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
Not sure if it was me, the shop, the shops or the combo over time :angry2:

It does not matter. The top bolt threads are stripped from the flange attached to the frame. Remove it and went to tighten this afternoon and threads are gone. The bolt threads are fine.

What is the best way to fix? Find a M10 heli coil set or try to find a larger bolt and re-tap?

Dang! That stinks. I would guess heli coil would be the way to go. Those T-bar fasteners take some pretty good torque if I recall, like about 52ft.lbs. Did the shop go way over on torque?

On torques that aren't real critical to me, like that T-bar, I usually go a couple or so pounds under torque, just cause that's me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you aren't the first with this problem, though I haven't seen any public mea culpas in quite some time. Steel threads into aluminum. Relatively high torque spec. Bad ju-ju! :(

Put me in the camp of 'better to a go a bit low on this bolt' camp. Wish I could give you some good advice on how to proceed now, but it's not my area. I'm sure some will come along with some good advice.

longer bolt with a nut and washer ?
Went to the local hardware store and found a M10x1.25x50 fender bolt, nut and lock washer. Drilled out the remaining threads with a 7/16" drill to give some clearance. And through bolted. Plenty of clearance between the end of the bolt to get the nut and washer in place and get a box end wrench on to tighten.

Had this happen to both my bike and my Dad's bike. (Yeah, I think the specs in the manual are _way_ too high).

Simply drilled the threads out and replaced all three with a fine pitch bolt+nut. used the smallest drill possible that would remove the rest of the threads then found the biggest bolt I could to fill the hole. (Sorry, can't remember what size exactly). Made sure to used a good wide heavy duty washer on both the bolt head side and the nut side.

The only hassle is trying to get my fingers underneath to hold the nut in place long enough to get the threads of the bolt started. Fiddly work, but can be done.

Did this fix probably in the first or second year I had the bike (its a first year 05 model). So I figure (as a guess) I have 75000 miles and at least 5 years with this repair and have had no problems at all.

- Colin