• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FREE '05 in Ft. Myers Beach!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCB

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
That's right, THAT Fort Myers Beach, the one that just got flooded. My brother and I had bought a little snowbird place down there 3 years ago. We had kept 2 bikes down there, a 2003 ZR-7s and a 2005 FJR, and thanks to Ian they spent a couple hours underwater. I don't have the time to clean them up and get them running again and I hate the idea of just junking them so I'm posting this to see if anybody is interested in tackling this project. I'm offering them for free as a little give-back to this forum as I've gotten so much value from here over the years. This would make a great winter project for someone and, if you're so inclined, a great "Recalled to Life" thread on this forum.

A little background, I'm the 2nd owner, bought the '05 12 years ago with ~20k on the clock. Over the years I put another 35k on the bike and it never missed a beat. Generally the maintenance is up to date, although it is due for its second valve check. I had all the maintenance records and may still have them. Can't remember if I kept them in the garage (flooded and gone) or upstairs (fine). The bike has a few upgrades including Audiovox cruise control which may or may not still work. Pair system removed. I took the luggage and Russell seat off it and will sell them separately. Stock seat will go with it. Heated grips, Vstrom handguards, new CCT, Rifle windscreen, Givi rear rack. Maybe some other stuff I can't remember.

Salt water is hard on metal so the bike is no longer pristine. Some rust, water in gauges etc. so it may need to be disassembled to some degree, and cleaned. Will need a new battery. May then start right up and run for another 56k or may never run again, who knows. If not, lots of good parts that other guys might need if you want to part it out. Title in hand. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

I live in PA and went down after the hurricane for a couple weeks to start the clean up of the house and get people working on redoing the downstairs. I am going down there to inspect the reconstruction of the house Sunday, the 13th to the 17th and can meet you or maybe make other arrangements. You'll need a trailer or pickup to get it home.

Cheers,
Scott

Mods - If this post belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's kind of the problem and this is pretty short notice. There is some chance that my brother or I will be going down there for a longer stay at some point. If either of us does that we would drive and can take a trailer and haul it back up north. He's in Maryland and I'm in PA.

You have my best wishes that everything pans out ok. Having lived through Sandy I got to see first hand how that salt water impacts everything and for some time to come afterwards. Very good friends of ours live directly opposite and facing the brown house on the left. The high water mark was roughly 2/3s up those garage doors, about 3' on the first floors. In my friends garage was a scooter and ATV which we eventually tore into as a challenge to get running again. Again, good luck with all the work you have in front of you.

1668196980428.png

Thanks for the good wishes. So what was your experience with the scooter and ATV? We’re you able to get them running again? How much work was it? I tend to think of motorcycles/scooters/ATVs etc. as pretty weather resistant compared to a car. By the way, we did keep a car down there, a 2011 Chevy Impala. Always garaged, only 20k miles if somebody wants to tackle that one. I might need a few bucks for that.

Can't remember what was the outcome with the quad but we did get the scooter running. Stopping it though was a different story. :giggle: I hope someone can take you up on your offer so the only thing I'll say is whether you put the minimal work in to get it rideable or go all out restoring it, I suspect you'll always be able to see the effects of seawater in places.

Update: Got a tentative taker for both bikes, friend of Garyahouse. Supposed to pick them up tomorrow morning. If not, I'll let you guys know. I already have a first alternate for the FJR. Nobody wants to clean up that Chevy?

Will be leaving this morning for Ft. Meyers beach. Turns out it'll be around 400 miles there and back. My best friend Mark is the guy that bought my FJR a couple years ago and is still riding it. We often ride together. He's an excellent mechanic and loves working on projects like this. I'll be riding with him to help out with loading the bikes on the trailer. Hoping the wheels still turn: loading them up could prove to be challenging. No idea if they can be salvaged at this point, but it's worth a shot. My personal thanks to Scott for extending this offer to the FJR community.

A little update just for fun: the FJR is now at Mark's house. It's been somewhat disassembled as Mark, after much deliberating, has elected to begin removing parts to replace stuff on his own FJR. I sold him my 05 FJR about 2 years ago, and it's still running well for him. Looks like most of the electrics are toast, but he hasn't checked everything out just yet. He did say the motor appears to be fine. Looking like it will end up being parted out. Mark will no doubt post up items for sale on this forum one day soon enough.

Last edited:
Surprised that Mark hasn't chimed in on this thread but I guess he's been pretty busy. Many of the parts on the FJR have now been removed and hopefully after things settle down he can get on the forum here to see about finding them a new home. As of today there have been no inquiries about any parts he may have.