Fresh Pavement Alert

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know it doesnt mean much in other parts of the continent. But fresh asphalt is reason to celebrate in the far northeast, land of the frost heaves. I happened to find some freshie on route 26 in Maine from Upton down all the way to Bethel through Grafton Notch. Its a good ride on bad pavement, but its a great ride right now. So fresh the lines arent down yet. Get it before next winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a taste of those last Sunday/Monday. They were still working on both stretches when I went through but it was nice!

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=198a35b25d2d9b6455

Edit:

Looks like some paving is happening on parts of the 113 through Evan's Notch (Maine NH border). Always beautiful through there on a nice day. Would be stunning if the worst of the (very bad) pavement was all redone. I went through there as well as twice through Grafton Notch while I was there.

That stretch of the 16 from Errol is much better (it was AWFUL last year). Would be nice if they would fix up some of the other bad stretches between there and Rangeley.

Also, NH route 16 is fresh from Errol up to the Maine border, where it promptly goes to shit. Still worth the ride.
A stop in Rangeley per chance?
smilingsmiley.gif

If you are already in the area, check out route 27 from Eustis, ME to the Canadian border in Coburn Gore. It was replaced a couple of years back, but they did a better than usual job on the road bed and it is holding up really well. Very nice set of sweepers for about 28 miles. Turn around at the Valeo gas station just before the border (dont go any further unless you plan on crossing. U-turns in front of customs gets the border guards excited) and run the opposite set of sweepers back down to Eustis.

Route 16 between Rangeley and Eustis is more typical Maine country road: Rough as hell!

I have been through Eustis a few times but have never headed northwest on the 27 from there.

Maybe next time...

Agree on some of the Maine (or New Brunswick) country roads. Sometimes you have to look twice before you can decide whether or not they are paved! To be honest, a reasonably well maintained dirt road is often preferable.

Which part of 112 is new?? The eastern part from height of land in Livermore to Conway was the worst, except for the far west end near Vermont. Rode from Lincoln to Bear Notch Rd about 2 weeks ago and no signs of improvement then.

Maine country roads> still suck after every late winter frost heaves. Makes me wonder where our voted bond "highway work" money goes. Plus the comparison to the EOM runs on pristine, non-frost damaged, roads.

Some of the 118 (I think) in that area is also fresh. Unexpected nice road from Lincoln down to Wentworth or so - hadn't been on it before. I wonder if there is a NH highway map that shows current and recent repaving efforts. It is sort of like being one of the first on a ski hill after a big snow. The quality and novelty wear off - certainly by year two.

Hope to get another run down to that area in the next week or two.

That part of 118 was really rough before. I hope it holds up better than the previous efforts have. Usually one winter is enough to push the frost heaves right through the newly overlaid asphalt. In any case, it couldn’t be much worse than it was. It was bad enough to give you arm pump if you tried to go too fast.