front brake calipers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curveman

Reaction score
Maybe there's a trick, but I'm struggling finding an unforced way to slip the calipers back over the brake disc. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Putting a wide bladed screwdriver between the brake pads and twisting to spread the pads apart is how I do it, and even though it's forcing I don't think a problem.

After they're apart enough you can slip over the caliper and activate the brake a couple of times to take up slack.

Yes, you need to spread the pads out a little. You won't hurt the hydraulics by pushing them out but you may damage the pads so do it carefully. I normally use a piece of wood or plastic rather than a screwdriver.

Another trick...as you're removing the calipers, slowly, and gently, rock the calipers back and forth to spread the pads a bit. This is the way I always do it and I've never had to use a screwdriver to spread them.

And remember not to touch the brake lever when the caliper is off.
Doh!

I take back my previous statement, ONCE I had to use the screwdriver to spread the pads. After I put the right caliper on, I grabbed the brake lever to bring the pads back to the rotor, but, after a few pulls and no resistance, I realized I forgot to do the left caliper.

It's not the pad spreading at issue here I don't believe, but the fact of trying to get the caliper itself between the rim and the pads over the discs. But, you may be right and I just don't have the pads spread far enough. Would removing the pads and reinstalling them after bolting the calpers and wheel back up, be a reasonable solution ?

Yes, but...if you spread them far enough, you shouldn't have to do that. I'd try pushing the piston a little farther so you have more clearance to play with. Either way, it's tight, but it fits.

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew if there were any tricks, folks here would would know about them.

On hi-mileage or especially road film dirty bikes -- carefully clean around the exposed caliper pistons and dust seals to keep from contaminating the caliper interior with "spooge". Ooops -- you already pushed them back? Well, too late, then.......