Front Brake pad R&R help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerome burley

Reaction score
Help please, I read the fjr tech instructions. What do I need to do get the new pad back in? Thanks for any quick help on this. Jerome

Help please, I read the fjr tech instructions. What do I need to do get the new pad back in? Thanks for any quick help on this. Jerome
I assume you have it apart and can't get the new pad in... Didja push the piston(s) back into the caliper?
You don't need to push them all the way in until the piston stops. Just push them far enough in for the pad to fit in, about flush to the edge of the caliper.
Yes the other pistons may move (on the same caliper) when doing this, just hold them back so they don't pop out, until all are recessed.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, was heading in that direction. The manual says to open bleed valve and push the pistons in. I will give it a go. Thanks again, Jerome (Yes, I do have it apart)

If you open the bleed valve you will let air into the system and have to bleed the air out before you are finished. Unless, of course, you intend to change out your brake fluid as well. If you do, this is a good time to do that. If not, ...

Instead, use your fingers and thumbs to press one piston in, while watching the other to mek sure it doesn't pop out. When you get the first side in, work the other side until you can get the second pad in place. Before you try to put the caliper back over the rotor, use something like a 1/4 inch piece of plywood or a stiff putty knife and work both pads apart far enough to clear the rotor.

Oh yeah, don't go riding until you are sure you can stop.

My method is to get a large flat-bladed screwdriver, put it between the old pads, and slowly twist it; this forces the pistons back into the calipers. You may need to lever the screwdriver sideways as well, depending on its blade's width.

Don't rush the twist, they'll move slowly with reasonable and constant pressure.

You can then remove the old pads, slip in the new, they'll clear the disc easily.

Do one side at a time, pump the lever after the 1st side so you don't force too much fluid back into the reservoir.

After installation, pump the brake lever until it feels normal before going for a ride :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
You should bleed or flush the brake fluid when you change pads.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs moisture) and will degrade over time.

I change the brake fluid in all my vehicles every time I change brakes.

It's the best preventitive maintenance you can do to your brake system.

I agree about the importance of brake fluid flushing, but I do not necessarily wait until the pads are worn out to do that. If I had, I would still have never flushed the rear brake lines on my '05!! :eek:

Fluid replacement should be based entirely on elapsed time (2 years) as the fluid is always busy absorbing moisture out of the atmosphere. You don't "wear out" brake fluid, it just gets old. The only other factor effecting how quickly it goes bad is the environment. Folks in high humidity areas should change their fluid sooner than those in the high and dry desert.

OTOH, brake pad replacement interval will be entirely dependent on use. Mileage, how you ride, how you brake. Unless you are riding your bike a whole lot, you may not wear out your pads within the lifetime of the fluid.

So, if you just recently changed the fluid there is nothing gained in flushing it again when you do the pads. If you don't open the bleed screws when pushing in the caliper pistons the fluid will just go back up into the reservoir and you will not introduce air in the lines.

I will add that it is wise to use brake cleaner and a brush like an old toothbrush to clean the caliper pistons before pushing them back into the caliper. The seals will thank you and the brake fluid will not get a load of crusty road spooge.

the manual says to replace the the shims and springs ?

is this necesary or lawyer /marketing talk?

also the worn pads have a taper. IE the wear button on one end of the pad was touching the disk while the other was not. Is this normal?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: