front brakes popping noise/small clunk when applying.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppycock

Reaction score
I recently had the forks rebuilt acct leaking and now I notice a small pop or clunk noise when applying the front brake. it happens only about 40% of the time. I checked all caliper bolts and all appears fine. I have had this shop do work before and like the Tech. New guy did this work and the shop and I are not on the best of terms these days. Well mostly the shop manager. He doesn't really want me back in the place after the forks took 2 weeks when I had an appt and etc. another story for later

Possibly a brake disc "floating" on its fixing rivets.

With the bike on its centre stand, sit facing the front wheel, hold the brake disc like a car's steering wheel, try rotating it to and fro. Repeat the other side.

If with either you hear/feel it move, it's not a problem, and will usually stop sounding after a while when some crud gets around the rivets.

thank you for a rapid response! I will head out to the garage and see how it works! I worry too much, probably, but I am commuting 100 miles daily 5 days a week. no problems buy I get anal over this stuff. thanks again, Hoppy.

Another thing to check.

Bike on centerstand. Either weigh down the back or use a scissor jack under the header pipes to lift the front wheel. Try to wiggle the forks forward and back to make sure that there is nothing loose. (Be careful not to upset the bike!) May want to check the torque of the bolts (upper and lower) holding the forks on the triple tree. You could get a clunk if these are loose - not to mention potential problems!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebuilt my forks a few months ago, and there used to be a large "clunk" when hitting a pothole or series of small bumps.

That has gone away since the rebuild, but now when I push the forks down manually at a stop, there is a "hitch" in the "giddy-up". I don't feel it when riding, like I did the "clunk".

I worry that I somehow did not "set" the middle bushings correctly on one side and that the slight "hitch" I feel is the middle bushing moving up and down with the slider till it hits the "lip" that it should have been firmly forced into.

The good part is that the Gen.1 FJR's only HAD two bushings, so even if the middle bushing is not in the place it's suppose to be nothing bad will happen.

Anyone else feel a "hitch". LOL

I have checked the bolts and also center stand action as suggested by MCAtrophy. I still get the slight noise. Is It possible that the brakes shoes are worn out? I dread going back to the shop here in Cheyenne. I am going to stop and see the shop in Ft. Collins, Colorado on tuesday morning. I have been riding 100 miles a day and I think, but am not positive that the noise is lessening. ( is that even a real word?). No handling problems in town or at 80+ on the highway. Still confused and a bit worried. If I find out anything different I'll post it. Worried about shoddy work at the local shop. hoppy

A hitch when depressing the forks can be fork stiction. Try doing a fork alignment. Basically, you loosen the lower triple tree pinch bolts, fender bolts and axle pinch bolts. Do not loosen the upper triple tree bolts. You then bounce the front end a few times. Next torque everything to spec and see if your hitch is gone.

an update here. I took the bike to the Colorado shop and had it checked out. They re-torqued the steering head and did a complete check up on the entire front end. Did everything a shop should do, including checking tire pressure, fluid levels and all. Everything is tip top now! Apparently just shoddy work and/or the tech in a hurry to get to happy hour, don't know but I have decided that the 50 mile trip south is worth the the time and it is a great ride anyway. Anyone ever need service in Northern Colorado, head to "Tri-City Cycle" outside of Loveland. You won't be sorry. Thank every one for your in put. And look at the Missonden flyer on youtube, 5 things to know about buying an FJR 1300. very entertaining!! Thanks again. Ride safe, hoppycock

That's a colorful riding suit, hoppycock. Want to share some details? (I assume, since your issue is resolved, that a little thread drift is in order.)

Uncle Hud.   sorry I haven't been posting or reading lately. Just finished 45 days radiation treatment, cancer all gone, riding the entire time. 100 mile round trip 5 days a week.  noise is coming back on the front end and I haven't crashed and burned. Usually 75-90 up and down interstate, nothing happening, and, I don't glow in the dark!  Was hoping one part might glow (prostate cancer radiation.)  But, about the threads!  I started dying heavy duty white painters bibs 12-15 years ago. I spent 42 years playing with multi million dollar train sets for the Union Pacific.  Played switchman, brakeman, and conductor, all on freight trains. All those cats wore the same old crap. Blue or engineer stripe overalls and stuff. As an old hippy, I just can't conform.  Place in Denver called Grateful Dyes (brilliant cats) sell these great dyes.  Mix them in 2 ounce bottles, as strong and bright as you want.  I usually just put one color on every few days to keep them from bleeding like the old tye dye. Use a sharpie to put whatever bull shit you feel the need all over. the officials at the U. P. hated it so it was well worth the effort.  At the time I was able to pass all the UA's, so I liked throwing it in their faces.Can't pass one since I retired, but the bibs have been (this latest version ) to Valdes Alaska and then to Newfoundland, summer 2018. Alaska summer 2017. I had all the radiation Techs and my oncologist/radiation Dr. sign them this summer. They all thought it pretty cool. Oh yeah, I buy them a little large so that I can put rain gear or my ski stuff under them in the winter. And now a very un-humble brag. cheyenne to Valdes and back---8500 miles, far east coast of newfoundland ---9480 miles.  everybody keep riding, and kick ass on cancer!!!!!!