Front End Removed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseydevil

Reaction score
Notice a fork seal leak the other day will cruising the Beachfront. Got her home Ordered Seals. Going to do the Fork oil and Steering Bearings as well. Any Suggestions on any upgrades I can do while I have everything apart? I previously posted that This New to me 2010 w 11k miles on her felt like the front was floating at highway speeds.. Found a few issues..1 of which was the front tire was mounted backwards and I never checked the tire pressures.. which turned out to be off by a bunch. Relatively new rubber (I've put 5k miles on her since the new rubber was installed,lol) and I realized that it wasn't the bike as much as it was the Cupping of the Highway.. lotsa Heavy Truck Traffic.. But anyway, She rides great now.. and its almost Telepathic.. But any Tweaks that are recommended since I have the front end completely disassembled (Springs,etc) ,Thanks

Do yourself a favor and try a Seal Mate before replacing seals. Might be good for a while longer. New aftermarket springs are a decent upgrade if you don't want to go for the full-meal-deal with cartridges etc.

Seal Mate? Interesting.. but I'd rather just put new ones in. It's not hard and I've already done them before on my VTX. They make aftermarkets for these..like Progressives?

11 thousand miles is nothing on these bikes. I would just go over it make sure it had proper maintenance, make any required adjustments before I would change anything. Ride it,live with it, get to know it first then decide what she really needs. Just my 2cents. 😉

Seal Mate? Interesting.. but I'd rather just put new ones in. It's not hard and I've already done them before on my VTX. They make aftermarkets for these..like Progressives?
Suit yourself. At 11,000 miles, it is most likely a bit of dirt between the lip of the seal and the fork tube although it is possible that it got nicked. I generally expect to get well over 50,000 miles before replacing the seals. By that point, bushings need replacement as well.

For upgrades - replacement springs from Traxxion Dynamics. Stock stuff is too soft, even at 195lbs

Notice a fork seal leak the other day will cruising the Beachfront. Got her home Ordered Seals. Going to do the Fork oil and Steering Bearings as well. Any Suggestions on any upgrades I can do while I have everything apart? I previously posted that This New to me 2010 w 11k miles on her felt like the front was floating at highway speeds.. Found a few issues..1 of which was the front tire was mounted backwards and I never checked the tire pressures.. which turned out to be off by a bunch. Relatively new rubber (I've put 5k miles on her since the new rubber was installed,lol) and I realized that it wasn't the bike as much as it was the Cupping of the Highway.. lotsa Heavy Truck Traffic.. But anyway, She rides great now.. and its almost Telepathic.. But any Tweaks that are recommended since I have the front end completely disassembled (Springs,etc) ,Thanks
In case you haven't seen it, before tackling this you may want to read the "I Forked Myself" string posted elsewhere in this forum so avoid a potential issue while doing this.

I just failed inspection on my 2013 because of a leak in the left leg of the fork. Got sealmate, cleaned it up, it’s been few days and it’s holding up. Passed inspection and will be watching it.

Attachments

• 9BC3B87F-3DEE-4AC7-9B95-6E3E02D7C66E.jpeg
    9BC3B87F-3DEE-4AC7-9B95-6E3E02D7C66E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 5E20972B-C03F-4230-86E4-40591F475486.jpeg
    5E20972B-C03F-4230-86E4-40591F475486.jpeg
    1,023 KB · Views: 0
2 years back I Also picked up my 2009 only 3k on it. Thing about low mileage…. Things are ignored, cleaning fork tubes once in a while, especially after long trips or rain. Most low mileage bikes are owned by people with low knowledge of maintenance. Mine, the right also weeped a little just weeks after purchase . SealMate corrected the issue. These are large tubes, 48mm. With such a large profile, stuff can get into seal area. Bug guts , dust , it’s all possible. Seals on these complex cartridge forks are not something you want to do.

I never pull a fork apart without replacing the bushings. 35MM film works also to get anything loose that might be stuck in the fork seals.