Front end shake at 40-50 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateskate

Reaction score
My Metzlers were cupped so I had a set of Perelli stratas installed. Noticed while driving home that something was wrong. Set the cruise at 45 and took my hands off the bars. They would shake right and left. Returned to the dealer who determined the tires were bad. They installed a set of Metzler M3's, The drive home was fine except the bike seemed different, somewhat more sporty. Since I was not familiar with the M3's, I check the web site and then called Metzler. They told me the M3's were not approved or tested on the FJR and they would not stand behind them if there were a tire failure. (no liability)

I called the dealer who then agreed to put a set of Michelin PR2's on. The new tires brought back the shake. They tightened the steering head bearings (07 FJR, 10,500 miles) and eliminated most but not all of it. Could I have a second set of bad tires or is it the bearing tightness? It is smooth at highway speeds, just a little shake, right then left, of the bars. Why didn't it show up with the M3's?

I look forward to your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tire pressure can affect this characteristic. My PR2's made this go away and it hasn't reappeared. Others have changed ball bearings to roller bearings in the head. Lots on this around the site.

W2

Tire pressure can affect this characteristic. My PR2's made this go away and it hasn't reappeared. Others have changed roller bearings to needle bearings in the head. Lots on this around the site.
W2
W2, I think you meant to say "Others have changed ball bearings to roller bearings in the head."

Tire pressure can affect this characteristic. My PR2's made this go away and it hasn't reappeared. Others have changed roller bearings to needle bearings in the head. Lots on this around the site.
W2
W2, I think you meant to say "Others have changed ball bearings to roller bearings in the head."
I did indeed. Didn't catch it fast 'nuf.

Thanks,

W2

I experienced headshake when my steering cone bearings are worn. Had it replaced at 120,000km. After that, hands free like I used to.

I spent two years working on this problem on my '06 and the final solution was a fork brace.

For me, it was worth evey penny! 20,000 to be exact.

I had a shake when I put a Dunlop D220 on the front. I burn through tires so fast, I just lived with it until I wore the tire out. The shake was around 50mph so I didn't really bother me too bad since thats not a typical cruising speed. I have a Shinko F009 on the front now and like it so far, especially the price, around $80.

The dealer will replace the head bearings with rollers for $259. Is that a fair price?

Is a fork brace effective? Is is easy to install? Should I try that before replacing the bearings? Are there any down sides to installing a fork brace?

Thanks

(This post was edited to comply with the forum guidelines.)

Update... Last Saturday I took the bike to another dealer and asked if they would balance the front wheel. 3 minutes after pulling it into the shop they called me back to look at what they found. With the bike on the center stand and a jack under the engine to elevate the front wheel, they had me stand to the side while they rotated it. The tread would dip once with each rotation. The brand new PR2 has a flat spot. Interesting, two bad tires out of 6.

I'm waiting for the original dealer to get a new front tire, which they will install no charge. Now I wonder if they over torqued my head bearings??

The dealer will replace the head bearings with rollers for $259. Is that a fair price?
Is a fork brace effective? Is is easy to install? Should I try that before replacing the bearings? Are there any down sides to installing a fork brace?

Thanks

(This post was edited to comply with the forum guidelines.)

You can get the bearings here for about $35. Do it yourself and you saved enough to buy your fork brace!! As for the effectiveness of the brace?? Personal opinion reigns............I thought it made a little difference (for the better), but was it enough to justify the cost of a new one??? IMO no. I bought mine used for $60, so for me it was worth it.

You won't go wrong installing new bearings though.

Also, in my experience, when I get a tire changed at a shop, I inevitably get it back with 32 PSI or so. Why? I don't know. But I know the first thing I do after the shop is check air pressures and add about 8-10 lbs.

I spent two years working on this problem on my '06 and the final solution was a fork brace.
I hear you! My 06AE have cost me a total of $28.000 ! - Still not figured it out. I'm sick and tired of it.

Update... Last Saturday I took the bike to another dealer and asked if they would balance the front wheel. 3 minutes after pulling it into the shop they called me back to look at what they found. With the bike on the center stand and a jack under the engine to elevate the front wheel, they had me stand to the side while they rotated it. The tread would dip once with each rotation. The brand new PR2 has a flat spot. Interesting, two bad tires out of 6.
I'm waiting for the original dealer to get a new front tire, which they will install no charge. Now I wonder if they over torqued my head bearings??
Please realize that a 40-45-50 decel head shake is pretty normal for bikes with similar steering head angles as the FJR. Certain brands/models of tires exacerbate the shake. Changing tire pressures, front and rear loading, ride height, and other suspension settings can reduce the effect, although the 'cure' symptoms can be worse than the original problems..
I'm currently running an Azaro front that shakes the head from 35 to 72. It's freaking horrible. But I bought the tire and I will run it to the ground. After the cord is showing, I'll put this POS where it belongs... in the dumpster, :lol:

Sure, I could jack the suspension around to where the effect is minimized, but why? CrZy8 handles great, the suspension is correctly set - it's simply the tire construction/profile. No big deal.

Oh, to the point, I've had several Avon Storms horribly out of round too..

I hear you! My 06AE have cost me a total of $28.000 ! - Still not figured it out. I'm sick and tired of it.
Is that $28 or $28,000.00? Hard to tell when you put a decimal point in like that.

If it's $28, 000 then you need to seriously reconsider whatever it is that you are doing to/with that bike. :blink:

FYI, new bearings in the head solved the problem. No more shake.

AllBalls bearings + 3 hours labor, tax and supplies = $310.

The technician thought 32 and 36 psi was better than 39 & 42. The bike was not stable until I put the pressures back up. (Avon Storms)