Front tire cupping, recommended tire pressure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had to replace the front tire after about 5K km due to tire cupping.  I've noticed the tire being damaged at about 3K km, so adjusted the tire pressure up from 36 psi to 42 psi, but that didn't stop the damage from progressing.  The tires I'm running are as recommended by Yamaha (Bridgestones).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris...

Once the cupping starts the damage is done. Changing the pressure may reduce the speed at which it progresses, but it will not eliminate it if already there. You will have to make sure you are running 40 - 42 psi on your next tire and see what it does.

42 PSI.  Ride it. Ride it hard. The tires will cup. Ride the tires until they are worn out, as in, down to/below the wear bars. (You're lucky to get 5K out of a tire). Replace and repeat. And enjoy.

I ride 41psi front and 42 or 43 rear. Got those numbers from TWN and it changed the way my FJR rode. Have not had cupping issues since. Now, if I could just find a way to keep these bastards from disappearing that would be helpful!

Every front tire that I've had has cupped. I'm probably not as diligent (OCD) with tire pressures as I should be, but that has stopped me from getting from between 9K to 12K miles on each set of tires. Michelin, Metzeler, Dunlop, Pirelli: all have cupped and all have given satisfactory life and performance.

I'm not sure we can really do anything about the front tire cupping no matter how diligent we are with pressures. I think the dual compound tires just do that because of the nature of the dual compounds. I do agree we can minimize it by upping the tire pressure from what Yamaha recommends. I first experienced cupping on my Buell back in the late 90's and had to raise those pressures to alleviate or minimize it. That was back on the Dunlop D204, D205, and early Road Smarts. I'm running the Michelin PR2 now with the FJR and have gotten anywhere from just shy of 10k to just short of 14k out of them so I'm not gonna complain but every front tire has cupped eventually.

In addition to PSI, I was once told that how I dive into corners pus the weight of the bike contributes to cupping because of the stresses on the lugs. A slow, look, lean, roll where I enter with early braking would moderate things.

In addition to PSI, I was once told that how I dive into corners pus the weight of the bike contributes to cupping because of the stresses on the lugs. A slow, look, lean, roll where I enter with early braking would moderate things.
I couldn't agree more! Put a new Bridgestone T30 Evo GT on the front of my 2016 and it was perfect......until I made multiple trips back and forth on the Dragon and other curvy Southern roads, I love to dive into the curves and brake HARD if necessary. Just got back to Michigan on the same front tire (2,250 miles round trip)  and it has noticeable cupping. Tire has around 3,500 miles total on it. Pressure kept at 40.  😁

Wow - the numbers some of you guys submit here for front tire mileage is kinda scary.

My old Gen1 gets me about 12-15,000 Kms (about 8-9,500 miles) for each front tire I've used over the last 7 years.  Yes, I usually run my tires at ~40 front, ~42 rear.

I too, ride her quite aggressively; quick dives into deep curves, hard braking on sometimes ugly (50 grit sandpaper) tar & chip surfaces. My chicken strips on rear are usually down to about 1/4" - admittedly a bit risky for a powerful bike with my luggage loaded up on our longer roadtrips. 

Especially with some cupping allowed, Ican't imagine getting less than about 10,000 Kms (6,100 miles) on a front tire - something doesn't sound right.

I regularly ride with Pirelli Angel GT / Michelin PR4/5, Dunlop RoadSmart 3, and Avon XDM tire sets - within that range I buy whatever seems to be on sale.