Frustration Factor Rant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal FJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to be on the forum much over the last several months. Hell, I haven't had chance to really ride in the last couple of months. The short versions of my frustration starts here. I had a rental house and the renters called me with a MOLD issue in the house, so I do the right thing and start working on getting it repaired. I contacted my insurance company and even though I had a mold rider on the policy they declined coverage, they said the original builders did not do the flashing correctly. Then I started the process of getting it fixed and paying out of pocket for all the repairs. Four months later, we are almost done, but things had to change. The tenants are out and the wife and I are moving back into the former rental to save money.

It has been amazing to me doing this repair/remodel how everything costs twice as much as expected and took longer than originally planned. Just needed to vent after spending almost every weekend over the past months working on this house. Glad it is almost done.

I also wanted to thank everyone who has posted a ride report, because the few times I have been able to look at the forum the RR made me smile.

With that being said, I am thankful I have a house to live in. It could alway be worse. PERSPECTIVE

Haven't had a chance to be on the forum much over the last several months. Hell, I haven't had chance to really ride in the last couple of months. The short versions of my frustration starts here. I had a rental house and the renters called me with a MOLD issue in the house, so I do the right thing and start working on getting it repaired. I contacted my insurance company and even though I had a mold rider on the policy they declined coverage, they said the original builders did not do the flashing correctly. Then I started the process of getting it fixed and paying out of pocket for all the repairs. Four months later, we are almost done, but things had to change. The tenants are out and the wife and I are moving back into the former rental to save money.
It has been amazing to me doing this repair/remodel how everything costs twice as much as expected and took longer than originally planned. Just needed to vent after spending almost every weekend over the past months working on this house. Glad it is almost done.

I also wanted to thank everyone who has posted a ride report, because the few times I have been able to look at the forum the RR made me smile.

With that being said, I am thankful I have a house to live in. It could alway be worse. PERSPECTIVE
WTF?? If it was done correctly you wouldn't have a mold problem. Just what does the mold rider cover?

Sounds like a mold rider is an insurance scam.

It can always be worse...that's a good thing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said. Guess I won't order up the mold rider option when I buy insurance (um, which company was that?)

But don't you know that everything always takes longer and costs more than you planned when you do any kind of repairs? Jeez, that's like thinking you'll be able to buy all the crap you're going to need in one trip to Home Depot! :lol: Sorry about your frustration though.

At least you were able to get the tenants out. Good luck with that here. Tenants will screw you as long as they can in this state. They will stop paying and it will take a year at least to force them out going throught the court system.

Then there is a guy that knows a guy who pays the tenant a visit and they seem to get the hell out a lot sooner. Don't bother with the courts.

Just sayin,

Dave

At least you were able to get the tenants out. Good luck with that here. Tenants will screw you al long as they can in this state. They will stop paying and it will take a year at least to force them out going throught the court system.Then there is a guy that knows a guy who pays the tenant a visit and they seem to get the hell out a lot sooner. Don't bother with the courts.

Just sayin,

Dave
Would those be the friends from Providence?
unsure.png

Rich, we just went through this fiasco, which matches your experience almost to the letter, regarding a mold claim. Water leak in Grandma’s mobile home (unoccupied, was up for sale), no mold coverage, sub-floor in kitchen, hallway, bath had to be replaced. Took almost exactly 4 months to repair and is finally back on the market, all the while rent, HOA fees, etc.. continue. Like the say, could’ve been worse (nobody died) and misery loves company, so you’re in good company.

Rental real estate is a risky investment. As 08FJR4ME said, if you get the wrong tenants you will not only have to evict them with a lengthy process, but you also pay expenses while you collect no rent. You may also find the place ruined inside when they finally leave. The only landlords I know of who actually make money in the long run are the ones who own several houses and have converted each house into two and three rental units.

Rich, we had almost the same issue with my inlaws home. They covered some of it, but not all. And in the process of fixing it did additional damage they didn't want to cover. Insurance is always a scam.

Sorry things aren't going your way lately. That mold problem was a big deal down here after our flood in 2016. Since our humidity levels are high anyway, mold was almost instantly an issue.

It was interesting to me that to rebuild a flooded home always took longer than it would have taken to build the same house originally. Rebuilding/Remodeling sucks.

To succeed as a landlord you have to be a bit of an asshole. Or at least have the ability to channel it when you need to, otherwise folks will take advantage.

Do something nice for your roommate please, she is awesome. At least you have that going for you.
smile.png

I have a friend with multiple rentals. It's really hard to find a home for rent in our area so right now his tenants are paying on time and behaving. They don't want to try to find another place to rent.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Having issues of my own in a rental as it is rented by a relative having issues with payment currently. Love him dearly but need to keep up with my payments....Hopefully he gets straight. Maybe we can work a deal where he repairs your home in a timely manner and you pay me his rent...probably won't work mathematically...back to leaving the issue in God's hands and concentrating on breathing in and out.

This too shall pass....

Thanks for all the positive replies. Here is a quick update. It is done and we have moved back in, finally. Everything has now fallen into place and I can get back to the important things in life, like planning our summer trip. Heading to the Canada for the ramble then onto Spearfish for the Black Hills round up, hope I get to see some or all you on the road this year. Thanks again for letting me vent.