Fuel cap lock slot disintegration, lock replacement question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
The key slot looks like this;

CGPyfz.jpg

and Yamaha is going to replace "it".

No idea just what will be replaced.

I know some of you have had this assembly apart.

Will I be stuck with a separate key for the fuel cap?

And no, I have no idea what is the cause of the damage. Nor does anyone else who has seen it.

One thought was that somehow fuel fumes are being vented thru the lock instead of thru the vent hose.

(This is the third tank on this bike, long story, so there is some reason to suspect something wasnt put together correctly) Does this make any sense?

Thx

-Steve

If you need a separate key remember that Yamaha locks only use one side of the key- you can have each side cut different and so have one key and just flip it around depending on which lock you're unlocking.

Almost looks like acid attack on the slot. Something going on with the flip top too - condensation? I would check with pH paper.

Fuel fume wouldn't do that.

Edit: Have you used anything to lube or clean the area? Alkaline cleaners will cause aluminum to deteriorate as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The day to day key looks fine. Key is only in the fuel cap lock slot when refueling.

Normal wash stuff used, nothing else but rain has hit this area.

Never lubed the cover. Speaking of, yes I see the cover is starting to be affected also.

Thx James for the suggestion about one sided key cutting.

Forgot to mention, the 'click to lock' function of the fuel cap lock stopped working about a month before the corrosion started.

-Steve

If you are not concerned about the lock feature, you can buy after market spin in caps.

Used one on my old TL.

Several folks here use them on their rally bikes.

I have had the gas cap assemble apart before and documented it here on the forum. It will take me a little searching to find as it was a post made in an existing thread about gas cap venting.

But I would bet that you are correct, that the normal ventilation path is messed up and the only path left for the tank to vent is up through the lock mechanism.

Once I find my post you will be able to see how its supposed to vent and can check that out functionally.

OK - I found the post faster than I thought I would:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/18042-gas-cap-modification/page-2?do=findComment&comment=722219

You can see the condensation circle on the tab that flips down. That is not good. I am sure it is mixing with the alcohol and moisture of the gas and somehow getting thru.

Good luck,

Dave

The key slot looks like this;
CGPyfz.jpg

and Yamaha is going to replace "it".

No idea just what will be replaced.

I know some of you have had this assembly apart.

Will I be stuck with a separate key for the fuel cap?

And no, I have no idea what is the cause of the damage. Nor does anyone else who has seen it.

One thought was that somehow fuel fumes are being vented thru the lock instead of thru the vent hose.

(This is the third tank on this bike, long story, so there is some reason to suspect something wasnt put together correctly) Does this make any sense?

Thx

-Steve
Is the bike sitting for long periods of time with partially filled gas tank? If yes are you using SeaFoam or some other gas treatment? My bike may not be ridden for a month or two but I keep the tank completely full and use SeaFoam when not on road trips. My gas cap key slot looks as good as the day I bought the new bike.

If I had seen mine looking like that, my first assumption would be someone attacked the lock trying to steal gas. Seeing the cover flap also showing damage seems to overrule that though.

I lube ALL locks at least every 6 months using spray silicon lube (3M is one maker).

Once every year or two, I also service the assembly.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ff/ff.html

Cap replaced today @ dealers. No way to use the original keys with replacement lock, at least in Canada ( we have immobilizer ignition). The new cap key blade is grooved opposite of the original keys, and half the length. :(

Using FredW post, see #8 above, I did my own autopsy on the original assembly. Everything looked fine, the ball bearing was free to move, etc. Still no idea if venting was the cause of the problem. I would note that there was a lot of Loctite on the two screws that need to be removed. Broke one removing it.

Bounce - Vancouver area is the most expensive fuel in Canada, (except for perhaps the Yukon), but there are a lot of easier targets than a locked motorcycle to steal gas from!

-Steve

Is there any opportunity to swap parts between the old cap and new one to get your key back to the original? Or is the part that is corroded the one that has the lock cylinder? I dont remember.

If you couldnt find any reason in the old cap for it to have vented though the key hole, check that the vent tube going down from the orange grommet is clear. You should be able to blow down through that freely using a short section of tubing. Im assuming that this is not a California bike which has the charcoal canister in line with the vent.

...I'm assuming that this is not a California bike which has the charcoal canister in line with the vent.
Correct - Canadian bike (he speaks of the immobilizer). While the new European bikes also have the infamous Kalifornia Kannister, I don't think that the Canadian bikes do (yet).

Not sure why fuel vapors would be aggressive toward metal parts??? I suppose it is possible that the alcohol might be a bit but it does not tend to volatilize out at a high rate.

No hypothesis from Yamaha as to the cause? Enquiring minds want to know ...

Yamaha Canada could care less.

Blew thru the orange grommet, no resistance at all.

Venting does not seem to be the issue.

Out of ideas. . . . .

-Steve

Latest posts