Fuel filler cap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockbyter

Reaction score
Did a search but found nothing similar so.. as usual after my 04 FJR had stood for a long time (since September), the fuel filler was jammed. The key is normally free to turn but the catch on the bottom jams. 3 in 1 and brute force eventually opened it but the key always suffers. I was thinking of stripping the mechanism down and want to know what to expect when I remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the catch? Will it explode in many springs and lock bits or merely come off to be cleaned up and lubricated.

Rock, go to Bounce's web page. (www.fjrtips.org) I believe, he has an illustrated article on taking the filler cap apart and cleaning.

Glenn

Mark Johnson's article doesn't go far enough.

want to know what to expect when I remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the catch? Will it explode in many springs and lock bits
[SIZE=14pt]YES! [/SIZE] Springs and check balls will disappear quicker than you can say OH SHIT! Work on a towel which will reduce the tendency of the parts to vanish. When the two screws are removed, slowly and carefully separate the parts and all will be well. It goes back together pretty easy.