Fuel Injection Problem with Magnetic Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AethonFJR

Reaction score
Okay, at a visit to a brand X dealership (continuing my quest for the right tank bag) I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.

News to me but so is a LOT of stuff.

Quick trip to Google and all I can turn up is a string of post on the VF/VFR mailing list where one of their riders had a similar experience with a Honda dealer saying mag tank bags are not recommended for fuel injected bikes.

Soooooo Is this a crock or a real consideration? I know from my earlier post that lots of FJR owners use magnetic tank bags and no one reported any concern about electrical problems.

Oh YES!!!!

Don't use a magnetic tankbag with a fuel injected bike, or.............

THE WHOLE WORLD WILL BLOW UP!!!!

I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.
That's just a setup excuse so nobody will notice when they come out with plastic tanks. No magnetic tanks bags out there, nobody notices they don't stick any more.

Holy mother of phuck! You've gotta be kiddin' me!

Is it Friday? Did I miss a day?

PHUCK! I may have a little buzzzzz, but I'm not going to buy this crap.

Oh, wait. Actually, did you say magnetic tank bags? Oh yeah, those are real bad. I got the latest tank bag from Magnets-R-Us in order to cure my arthritis and my incurable desire for liquid bread (with hops) because that's a disease, you know, and it totally phucked up my home heating system and my fuel injectors leaped right out of the bike after passing through my gas tank. Oh man, it was a mess.

Really though, don't use those tank bags with maggots in them...they're bad news. Really.

Good night.

Phuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a little fuel injection problem last time I rode thru the bore of a 4T MRI machine....... The bike surged a little bit.

( I think somebody was smokin' something and blowing the smoke back at you. )

My bike makes more power with the magnetic tank bag. The magnetic field aligns the fuel molecules for better combustion. (every theory sounds more credible if you use the word molecule)

Holy mother of phuck! You've gotta be kiddin' me!
Is it Friday? Did I miss a day?

PHUCK! I may have a little buzzzzz, but I'm not going to buy this crap.

Oh, wait. Actually, did you say magnetic tank bags? Oh yeah, those are real bad. I got the latest tank bag from Magnets-R-Us in order to cure my arthritis and my incurable desire for liquid bread (with hops) because that's a disease, you know, and it totally phucked up my home heating system and my fuel injectors leaped right out of the bike after passing through my gas tank. Oh man, it was a mess.

Really though, don't use those tank bags with maggots in them...they're bad news. Really.

Good night.

Phuck.
MD, You keep your feeling bottled up like that, and one of these days you are just going to loose it. It's OK dude, we are here for you, just speak your mind and it will all be better.

I have talked to Mr. Spock and Scottie, and according to them the "Matter / Antimatter" field on some bikes will be affected by a powerful enough magnet.

And another thing on the magnets...

I think I recall reading someplace that a magnetic field can lead to some strange failures...like uhhh....final drives?

And another thing on the magnets...
I think I recall reading someplace that a magnetic field can lead to some strange failures...like uhhh....final drives?
It's the powerful rear magnets on the tank bags.

They affect your testicles! :blink:

I heard it won't affect anything if if you've lube the bottom of the tank bag with anti-magnetic 12.74-weight fork oil.

I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.
That's just a setup excuse so nobody will notice when they come out with plastic tanks. No magnetic tanks bags out there, nobody notices they don't stick any more.
BMWs have had plastic tanks for a long time on some models. My '95 R1100RS definitely had one.

BMWs have had plastic tanks for a long time on some models. My '95 R1100RS definitely had one.
Jebus, you another one! Just get tank bags with plastic magnets. :rolleyes:

:p

Okay, at a visit to a brand X dealership (continuing my quest for the right tank bag) I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.
News to me but so is a LOT of stuff.

Quick trip to Google and all I can turn up is a string of post on the VF/VFR mailing list where one of their riders had a similar experience with a Honda dealer saying mag tank bags are not recommended for fuel injected bikes.

Soooooo Is this a crock or a real consideration? I know from my earlier post that lots of FJR owners use magnetic tank bags and no one reported any concern about electrical problems.
Krock mit kapital K.

...excuse me...

...there...better

I had to wipe off the spew from the screen and keyboard...not from the question but from the hilarious responses. Hey not everybody knows everything like you guys. :)

I know I don't. I just point this FJR and go...and learn what I can from this forum.