Fuel Injection Problem with Magnetic Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on guys, we all know that magnets can affect ferrous compounds within their field reach. That's a simple fact of physics.

Assuming that the fuel being used contains molecular ferric levels, it's entirely possible that it could affect FI systems. Also, let's not forget that many silicon based integrated circuit chips used in FI systems are, in fact, not really silicon based - but ferrous oxide based, also known as "rust" chips. This is due to the cost cutting efforts used in the chip manufacturing industry. Just take a tour of the Frito-Lay factory some time, and you'll understand.

That being said, and all things being equal, one could simply add H2O to one's fuel, which would have the affect of combining the O2 with the Fe molecules in the fuel, binding them together into FeO2 which would then precipitate out of the fuel stream before hitting the injectors, and no issues will occur. You'd simply have to clean the precipitate out of your fuel filter on a regular basis. I've sometimes had to substitute Diet Pepsi for H2O when the latter wasn't available, which has the added benefit of a dose of caffeine to the fuel mix - easily adding another 500 rpm to the speed of the engine before valve float becomes an issue. However, it does' result in random 'burps' as the CO2 gas in the Diet Pepsi is ejected out of the exhaust system following expansion.

:blink:

Honest. It's da twuth !!

Does the use of H2O from a natural spring provide any additional benefit? How about deionized H2O?

Preferably one should use distilled H2O - using natural spring or tap introduces additional mineral elements to the mix, resulting in a variable precipitate mix, with the resultant escalation of the fuel filter maintenance schedule.

This thread has gone pretty much as I expected…….

I don’t care what anyone says……. There is absolutely no shortage on FeeJeeR Masters with a funny, if not totally warped sense of humor.

Some of these empirical explanations make me wonder if some of you guys have had a little too much government educations…..

And when I say a reference to this on a totally difference thread about the eclipse

“I was going to look but my magnetic tank bag caused and oscillatory moon movement precluding my molecular visualization of the so-called eclipse.. ” I knew I was in for a ride when I checked to see the responses here.

I think I would have to conclude that this MYTH has been major busted….. or what ever it is they say…..

This thread has gone pretty much as I expected…….
I don’t care what anyone says……. There is absolutely no shortage on FeeJeeR Masters with a funny, if not totally warped sense of humor.

Some of these empirical explanations make me wonder if some of you guys have had a little too much government educations…..

And when I say a reference to this on a totally difference thread about the eclipse

“I was going to look but my magnetic tank bag caused and oscillatory moon movement precluding my molecular visualization of the so-called eclipse.. ” I knew I was in for a ride when I checked to see the responses here.

I think I would have to conclude that this MYTH has been major busted….. or what ever it is they say…..

Perhaps you should print this out and go visit the BMW . . ah. . . . "salesperson."

You might have a wee bit of fun with him !!

Soooooo Is this a crock or a real consideration? I know from my earlier post that lots of FJR owners use magnetic tank bags and no one reported any concern about electrical problems.
No electrical problems to note.... However I fell victim to an unfortunate dog bite incident in my younger years, lost my left

testicle.

Now mind ya this was before the "modern age" of plastics and polymers so I was forced to use steel bearings as a replacement, otherwise you're 'outa balance' and fall over, leading the police to believe you're drunk alot. Hmmm!

Anyway you must increase the diameter as you age to offset the hang factor. I didn't have a problem with magnetic bags till two years ago with the added 6 mm diameter of the prosthetic nut. Now I need assistance extricating myself from my scoot.

So yeah I'd say magnetic tank bags are an no no.

jmho,

:jester:

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum –

DUE TO ITS TECHNICAL NATURE, I can see now why this thread has not been moved off to the Jokes and Fun Stuff area of the Forum……

FWIW, I did buy myself a magnet tank bag today long before I got here to examine the Forum’s words of wisdom…

Now if the snow will just melt....

Soooooo Is this a crock or a real consideration? I know from my earlier post that lots of FJR owners use magnetic tank bags and no one reported any concern about electrical problems.
No electrical problems to note.... However I fell victim to an unfortunate dog bite incident in my younger years, lost my left

testicle.

Now mind ya this was before the "modern age" of plastics and polymers so I was forced to use steel bearings as a replacement, otherwise you're 'outa balance' and fall over, leading the police to believe you're drunk alot. Hmmm!

Anyway you must increase the diameter as you age to offset the hang factor. I didn't have a problem with magnetic bags till two years ago with the added 6 mm diameter of the prosthetic nut. Now I need assistance extricating myself from my scoot.

So yeah I'd say magnetic tank bags are an no no.

jmho,

Ouch.

Was the dog ok?

From what I recall the dog was fine, I however have suffered from some type of residual effects as I have a terrible need to lick my bearing, at the most inopportune times :blum:

What was this tread about???

From what I recall the dog was fine, I however have suffered from some type of residual effects as I have a terrible need to lick my bearing, at the most inopportune times :blum:

This thread has got to be a contender for the MOST OFF TRACT thread in the history of the Forum…… and yet so intertaining…

Aren't you worried about the H2O in your saliva bonding with the Fe in your bearing, and rusting your nut?

Okay, at a visit to a brand X dealership (continuing my quest for the right tank bag) I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.
News to me but so is a LOT of stuff.

Quick trip to Google and all I can turn up is a string of post on the VF/VFR mailing list where one of their riders had a similar experience with a Honda dealer saying mag tank bags are not recommended for fuel injected bikes.

I hope you weren't planning on having kids :lol:

Maybe we can combine two threads and find some way that this magnifies the cancer causing effects of the engine and then we will really need that radiation blocking seat. :D

I was informed that BMW has issued a technical bulleting advising against the use of magnetic tank bags on there bikes because it can interfere with the fuel injection system.
That's just a setup excuse so nobody will notice when they come out with plastic tanks. No magnetic tanks bags out there, nobody notices they don't stick any more.
My '89 K100RSA had an aluminum tank. It was comical to see my reaction when I tried my dad's mag tank bag on mine. No...I did not ride off with it but is was a real Buster Keaton moment.