Fuel line disconnect

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRuss

Reaction score
After doing my 26k valve check (2009 AE), I buttoned everything up properly, replaced the fuel tank and rode about 50 miles. Then this morning, on my way to work, the bike quit running suddenly. I suspected it had something to do with the valve check, and the symptoms were fuel. So a quick check and the disconnected fuel line disconnect was located and re-connected. Question is, why did it run for 50 miles? It seems to me that the pressure generated in a FI system should blow the connections apart immediately if it is not secured. Now I'm concerned that even though I heard the 'click' of it connecting, will it do it again and how to prevent it? Has anyone else experienced this?

When you reconnected the line was their a retainer clip over the whole thing? If not and assuming the Gen 2 are the same as Gen 1 on this part, it's possible they lost it or didn't reconnect it when they did the valve adjustment. It's a loose piece and I've long thought one that would be easy to lose or forget.

When you reconnected the line was their a retainer clip over the whole thing? If not and assuming the Gen 2 are the same as Gen 1 on this part, it's possible they lost it or didn't reconnect it when they did the valve adjustment. It's a loose piece and I've long thought one that would be easy to lose or forget.
There is an orange plastic piece (maybe that is the retainer clip, but it's not loose?) I don't recall how it worked in relation to the release on the disconnect. I did the valve adjustment myself so if anyone forgot to do replace a retainer, it was me. But my Gen I did not have a disconnect, I didn't have to remove the tank to do valve adjustments on it. The adjustable seat thingy under the tank on the Gen IIs keep the tank from rotating far enought to get in to the valves comfortably. I figured that was why the Gen II had the disconnect. I'll pull the tank back tonight and see if the orange piece is a retainer clip. Still don't understand how it go 50 miles and THEN come loose. Guess I am special!

This pic shows the orange retainer in place, if it's of any help.

(Click on image for larger view)

This pic shows the orange retainer in place, if it's of any help.

(Click on image for larger view)

It looks to be a different part than Gen 1. Ours extend with a piece that cups the 90 degree bend in the connector near the writing on the hose. Looking at the Gen 2...I'm guessing it has to fit in just a certain way or could pop off though.

Yep, that's my orange thing. I'm going to lift the tank tomorrow and see what is going on. Tomorrow will be a KLR day I guess, don't want to tempt fate (rode the Feejer to and from work today with no further problems...) I sure don't recall my '04 having a disconnect. Maybe it was there and I just didn't need to remove the tank in 80,000 miles. Or maybe they added it later.

Over the winter I replaced my plugs and did some other things, so I had the tank off. I rode to Nevada. On another Ride I went to Nevada again. Yellowstone opened and I headed up the first day the roads cleared. I'd been about 2000 miles since I had the tank off.

Bike runs great, get to Old Faithful, stayed in a cabin. Get up in the morning, bike starts running like shit. Dies on me in a parking lot. I hit the starter and suddenly realize gas is pouring out of the right side of the bike by my knee. This is not good, I think. Call the wife and tell her looks like I'm effed, get a trailer ready to come get me.

Pull out the little cheezy ass stock tool kit. Yes, it had 2 8mm's and I get the tank lifted up, and the damn fuel line is unclipped under the tank. This after 2000 miles of riding!

Snapped it on, had a great 2 more days--took it home and checked again to make sure. I must have gotten the collar just clipped but not quite locked. I guess it eventually vibrated and came off.

^^^^^Either something like that, or maybe you just had something kinked. If you've gone over it and it all looks good, I don't know that I'd stress it much more, but realistically, it's not my ass stuck on the side of the road.

^^^^^Either something like that, or maybe you just had something kinked. If you've gone over it and it all looks good, I don't know that I'd stress it much more, but realistically, it's not my ass stuck on the side of the road.
Well, I just climbed out from under the tank on mine and sure enough, the orange plastic thingy is a retainer! I apparently didn't slide it back into place so even though it 'clicked', it was not secured. But now it is...Nice that after 26,000 miles, the only thing that has failed is the owner/operator! But that's FJRs for you, I had to replace a plastic rivet on my '04 after about 65,000, told the dealer it was falling apart.

Latest posts