fuel line removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingedWheel

Reaction score
I just got done doing a TBS on my '13. Now I would like to remove the fuel tank completely to do some auxiliary wiring to the area under the seat. Can I take off either end of the fuel line without all the gas in the tank pouring out?

Thanks,

Chad

Yes, but be careful the may be a little squirt as you detach the line (I got a shot in the eye from this).

On the GenII, pull the fuel pump fuse and run the bike 'till is stalls. This will depressurize the fuel line.

^^What? Why? No reason to do that on a GenII. Just unplug the lines at the tank. You may get a few drips, but by the time you obtain a rag to wipe it up, it will have evaporated. Very small amount of fuel lost, if any, and pressure has never been an issue when removing my tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disconnect at the fuel rail coupler and definitely get more then a few drips. Probably an ounce or two but more then I want running down into engine area.

I disconnect mine at the pump with a rag under it to catch the little bit of gas left in the line. Never been a problem.

What they said, I used to always disconnect at the pump but then started disconnecting at the fuel rail , was afraid of breaking that plastic nipple ... = new fuel pump !!

Absolutely no reason to disconnect at the pump. That release at the end of the fuel rail is specifically designed to shut off flow when opened up. That's what it's there for.

Love it when folks make their lives harder than they should be.....

Absolutely no reason to disconnect at the pump. That release at the end of the fuel rail is specifically designed to shut off flow when opened up. That's what it's there for.
Love it when folks make their lives harder than they should be.....
I remember the first time I was attempting to remove the tank, dreading it all the while. Then I read about the disconnect and thought 'it's about damn time someone put one of these on bikes'!