Fuel Map Compromise Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War Machine

Zero Altitude Test Pilot
Reaction score
Finally installed Blue Flame slipons on my '08, Totally Awesome. Completely changed the attitude of this bike.

Already had a K&N air filter and PCIII with a stock map and bike ran extremely well. Decided to install map M419-02 (Gen II bike with 2 Brothers slip ons). I set the throttle position before installing the map, & was very surprised at the ease of setting the throttle position & installation of the map. The bike now feels like a torque monster at any RPM & above 5 Grand....OMG!

My only reservation I have about this map is I noticed that the bike runs hotter in mild traffic with outside temps of only mid 70's & I'm concerned about the extra heat since the hottest part of summer is yet to come.

Is there a map that would be a compromise between all that power so I could run a little leaner at highways speeds?

I really don't want to go the tuner route.

PS here's a recent pic:

P5300148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By hotter do you meant the temp gauge is higher, or it just feels hotter as you ride?

I'd be surprised if the mixture changes from the Power Commande made a significant change in temps perceived in the saddle. It's Spring, moving into Summer. It's getting warmer out. The bike would be hotter without your changes.

I'd also be surprised if the mixture changes affected the temp gauge in the slightest.

Playing with all that power, finding out how it works, on the other hand. That'll pop out some BTU's you never knew were there!!! :D

As for adjusting the mixtures leaner, there's always the tedium of editing the tables on the laptop and sending the "new" map to the device to see how you like it . . . . .

EDIT: Remembered seeing this, too, regarding K&N.

Last edited by a moderator:
And won't leaning it out more make it run even hotter?
Thats correct.

To the OP, you can download several maps for different exhaust cans and air filter combo's.

Run with them and see which one you like best.

OR

Have the bike dyno tuned to your liking.

By adding more fuel it will cool it down!! When you start to see a little haze come out the pipes turn the gas back down till it quits!!! POOR MANS DYNO!!

Finally installed Blue Flame slipons on my '08, Totally Awesome. Completely changed the attitude of this bike. Already had a K&N air filter and PCIII with a stock map and bike ran extremely well. Decided to install map M419-02 (Gen II bike with 2 Brothers slip ons). I set the throttle position before installing the map, & was very surprised at the ease of setting the throttle position & installation of the map. The bike now feels like a torque monster at any RPM & above 5 Grand....OMG!

My only reservation I have about this map is I noticed that the bike runs hotter in mild traffic with outside temps of only mid 70's & I'm concerned about the extra heat since the hottest part of summer is yet to come.

Is there a map that would be a compromise between all that power so I could run a little leaner at highways speeds?

I really don't want to go the tuner route.

PS here's a recent pic:

P5300148.jpg

Mine used to run at 3 bars on the temp gage before the PCIII and now runs at 4 bars, sometimes it will be at 3 bars. I don't know how much temperature variance that really is. The temp doesn't matter if I am towing my trailer or not. I am using wally's smoothness map. Works great. I'm not worried about the slight temp increase as it is well within the normal operating band.