Fuel reserve odometer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Yesterday, while out test-riding my handguards, I noticed that the lower odometer reading was at a very low number (like 1.9 mi.) and my reserve bar was flashing. I assumed that a fuel reserve odometer had kicked in so I could tell how far I had ridden since the bar started flashing. After putting over 12,000 miles on the bike, I hadn't noticed this before. Maybe I should have read the owners manual. What a cool feature! Does the infatuation ever end?

It is cool isn't it? When that reserve amount flashes and shows you've gone 33 miles on reserve....let me know. BTDT. Filled up with 6.4 gallons after it too and felt stupid.

Yep, nice feature. Not exactly an FJR exclusive though - almost all Yamahas and many other bikes have it also.

- Mark

Heck, you think that's cool? Why just the other day I went to check the air pressure in the tires and guess what? They put these niffty little screw-on caps to cover the valve stems! What will they come up with next?! :haha:

:tease: :taunt: :p

Heck, you think that's cool? Why just the other day I went to check the air pressure in the tires and guess what? They put these niffty little screw-on caps to cover the valve stems! What will they come up with next?! :haha: :tease: :taunt: :p
Oh yea? I noticed last week if you twist the left hand grip... it goes faster! :p

Hey Rogue:

You must have the European model. I have to twist the right grip on mine to go fast. :bleh:

Got 42 miles after it started flashing.  Took 6.5 to fill it up.  Won't do that again.
I think you win. :dribble:
When I went to Anaheim Nov. 4th, I noticed the bar start flashing at 203.7 mi. into the tank (back before I noticed the fuel odomoeter :blink: ) I chickened out and pulled over at 248 mi. to grab 3 gallons and continue. Not sure how close I got to empty.

Heck, you think that's cool? Why just the other day I went to check the air pressure in the tires and guess what? They put these niffty little screw-on caps to cover the valve stems! What will they come up with next?! haha.gif
Lucky you. The other day I discovered that one of mine had been stolen. Damn, do I have to loctite the damn things on to keep the thieves at bay? Funny, they only took the stock one and left my cool valve stem remover one in place. Strange.

Hey Toecutter,

I think you win! :D I did the same thing. Just wasn't paying attention after it started flashing. What in the heck would someone have to rip off one of those for. Well, I know what for but that is one hard up individual!

I, too, got to see the countdown feature of the fuel system. Never again. I'm taking on fuel every 150 miles, period.

I was on a lonely stretch of road, miles from the nearest town of Cousin Screw, Oklahoma, or something like that, when the last fuel bar starting flashing.

Remember the dueling banjo scene in Deliverance? Kind of like that, but without the finger-picking, talented musicians. Or the guitar. Or the banjo.

Anyway, I limped back to civilization. I was never so glad to see a gas station in my life!

I've run out of gas before, and there's not a stupider feeling in the world.

:blushing:

Count the flashes. You don't wanna be in the area when it hits 7.5 per sec.
nuclear_explosion.jpg

What in the heck would someone have to rip off one of those for. Well, I know what for but that is one hard up individual!
Looking back, maybe my post was a little too serious in nature. I left it off back when I was airing up in Anaheim after the riding clinic, but figured I'd blame it on "thieves" as I can't stand to be held accountable for anything I did wrong. Trying to get into the mainstream here.

Lucky you. The other day I discovered that one of mine had been stolen. Damn, do I have to loctite the damn things on to keep the thieves at bay? Funny, they only took the stock one and left my cool valve stem remover one in place. Strange.
:lol: ;)

Anyone ever put her to bed close to dry and start her up with the line blinking? Then after riding a mile or two you now have two bars to deal with? Too bad the tank compensator is not aircraft quality where no matter what angle the plane is in it always gives an accurate reading. Oh, by the way...my driveway to my house is at an angle. <_<