Fuel reserve odometer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, got to see the countdown feature of the fuel system.  Never again.  I'm taking on fuel every 150 miles, period. 
@red2kcbr,

While I do agree that running out of fuel is less than desirable, and to be avoided, it seems that the solution stated above might, just might, be a little too conservative, and in some cases, impossible, unless you intend to carry extra fuel along.

If the logic is to be followed, a bike that has had reports of 300+ miles on a tank (I've personally seen 284 once) that takes on fuel at 150 miles = twice as much fuel capacity than is needed.

I remember the trips I used to take on a peanut tank 2.2 gallon equipped chopper. 70 miles @ 75 miles an hour was the best the old girl would do, but at least there was no fuel pump to risk damage to, neither was there a blinking gauge to make me nervous.

YMMV, literally.

Shane

I've run out of gas before, and there's not a stupider feeling in the world.  :blushing:
Oh yeah! I had a 59 VW bug and ran out of gas about 4 blocks from a friend's gas station. Pushed it in and filled it up. 4 or 5 weeks later did it again. Almost the same spot. Again, I pushed it to the station and filled it up. This time my buddy asked me, "Why don't you head for a station when you flip it to reserve?" Duh??? I didn't know it had a reserve. But it did have a reserve handle hidden under the dashboard. You really feel stupid when you find out you've been pushing a car that had plenty gas. :headbonk:

Another installation of Rads Most Embarassing Moments©

Some years back, when I delivered and set up for disabled drivers vans designed for same, I picked up an older Ford van as a trade. The owner said it was low on gas, and as I hit the highway I made a note to stop first thing. As it was getting dark, and 20 miles down the road, it died. Doh! Started hoofing it, and a Highway Patrol stopped, and gave me a ride into the next town, where I gaot a 5 gal can full and he gave me a ride back to the van. Poured in the gas, tried to start it, nothing. Guessing that because the van was parked pointing uphill, and it had run out, it just needed a little more to light off. The cop and I made another trip, back to the van, poured it in, and no start. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. With a little still in the can, disassembled the intake, got a little gas into the carb, and it started right up-for about 5 seconds. Pitch black now, I figured we got issues here, gave up, the cop took me back to town, where I called a tow truck and got a motel for the night. The van went to a Goodyear store for a morning diganosis, and I hit the sack. Next am, I called the Goodyear joint and asked about the van. "Yeah, she fired right up". Whisket Tango Foxtrot part II. "Well, what was it?' I innocently inquired. "We just flipped the tank switch" (the one I had failed to see in the dark, ditto the second gas filler door to the rear of the one I filled), "and it started right up". To their credit, they did not fall over and shoot shit out of their noses when I picked the peice of shit up..... :D

Last edited by a moderator: