Funky Shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12,000 kms & three oil changes later. I'm still scratching my head.

I had the opportunity to test ride another '18 FJR at the demo days this past weekend and that bike shifts the exact same way as described above.

I'm surprised that there is not more chat about this. If it is consistently smooth or consistently notchy then so be it. None of the Yamaha reps or techs can explain why it is random. Love the new bike but the shifting is causing me some concerns.
I have same issue with my 2019 es

66,000 kms and it's still there - randomly.  I'm not sure if has improved or I just got used to it.  Either way, I'm still not completely sold on the "new" 6 speed.

A buddy of mine just bought one, I haven't chatted with him yet to get his thoughts.  He previously had an '08.

Canadian FJR

Here is the note that I just sent off to my dealer, open to any input.

First gear on FJRs is known for a bit of clunk when first starting off, sometimes mine does and other times it is buttery smooth. No issues there. Also, never any type of clutch chatter when pulling away.
Canadian FJR
CanadianFJR,

My 2008 FJR will sometimes "clunk" into first gear, when it has been sitting a few days.

The answer (for me) is to let the engine warm up for two or three minutes.  Then I pull the clutch lever (in Neutral), rev the engine gently, and let off quickly, a few times.  That trick frees up the clutch plates, so there is no "clunk" into first gear.  Works for me.

Every shaftie bike I've ever had (BMW's) clunked into first gear. I usually wait until she warms up enough for the revs to come down to around 1500 before I clunk, or just about enough time to lower the garage door and get my helmet and gloves sorted out. The clunk is not so strong then.  As somebody else has already mentioned, the rest of the up-shifting is best for me done at higher revs, like 4K, unless you get the "knack" for timing it at lower revs. Of course, mine is a Gen  1, like an old  shoe, and I've been shifting it for 80,000 miles.  WBill

87,000 kms, one clutch soak and a full transmission replacement and this is still happening - worse than before.

Very annoying on an otherwise great motorcycle.

Canadian FJR

Have you had a chance to ride another Gen 4 for comparison?  If you can point to a demonstrable difference between your bike and another of similar vintage, you may be able to get someone at Yamaha interested.

Edit:  I just looked back at the earlier postings and saw that you did ride another 2018 and found similar behavior...

Frustrating!!

Have you tried different motor oils?  Some people have reported problems with certain oils - notably Rotella T6 although that is my preferred oil in my Gen II.

Assume clutch has been bled numerous times and you have cleaned/lubed/adjusted shift linkage.

Shift return spring was mentioned in an earlier post...

Normally don't like to throw parts at a problem to see if it solves anything but maybe you are down to replacing clutch master/slave parts and maybe even the entire clutch steels and friction plates.  Nothing to say that this will do anything for you other than cross another couple of things off the list of possibilities.

The really strange thing here is your observation that the issue is intermittent and does not seem to correlate with anything in particular.  Do the guys at Shore have any further comments or ideas?

Good luck with it!

As for the clunk into first gear, when I start a ride I start the bike and let it warm up. I shut it down and start up the bike in first gear. 
The first gear "Clunk" is a feature, not a bug!  😀

Discussed endlessly and various remedies have been suggested over the years.  This is not related to the issues Canadian FJR is having with his 2018.  (He is not exactly new to the FJR world.)

Definitely not concerned about the first gear clunk, they all do that to some extent.  It’s the randomness of the upshifts that’s p!$$!ng me off.

I don’t loan my bike and hate driving others but might have to try a buddy’s again.

As far as oil, switched from Yamalube to Amsoil a while back.  Same results.

Canadian FJR 

It’s the randomness of the upshifts that’s p!$$!ng me off.
Yeah, the randomness is hard to explain - unless it was just when it was cold or just when it was hot.

Did you check out the spring that returns the shifter to the middle between shifts?  Clutch master or slave?

I would have thought drilling holes would allow any oil in there to get out of the clutch more quickly (centrifugal forces), I can see no way it would get more oil in.
McAtrophy,

I agree.  The clutch HUB provides oil to the clutch, and I believe Yamaha added a few holes there when they went to the slipper clutch (sneaky, doing a mod without admitting it was needed).  More or larger holes in the clutch HUB may help, if dry plates are really some part of the problem.  Slightly larger holes will provide a great increase in fluid flow.  Drilling the clutch basket just lets all that good oil escape too soon.

A minor change in riding habits may help, also.  I believe that quick shifts and clutchless shifting can let the clutch plates go dry, with poor results.  I suggest using the clutch as intended when shifting, and I always stop at traffic stops with the bike in gear.  Keeping the clutch plates separated then (logically) just seems to aid in clutch plate oiling.  I have never done or needed a clutch soak process on my 2008.  Being in gear at any stop can let you escape an impending wreck, instead of trying to find a gear first; this seems like a safer plan, to me.  YMMV.

I've assumed the "clunk" was a designed safety feature to remind me the FJR doesn't do wheelies and also to scare chipmunks outta my way.  Both features I like😕, and this thread!😀

On my '13 if I give just a little throttle to 1700 rpm there's no 1st gear clunk at all.  If not, there is.  Hot, cold- doesn't matter.  Works 100% of the time.  Anyone else do this?

On my '13 if I give just a little throttle to 1700 rpm there's no 1st gear clunk at all.  If not, there is.  Hot, cold- doesn't matter.  Works 100% of the time.  Anyone else do this?
I start mine in neutral, pull in the clutch, rev it two or three times, return to idle, and put it in gear. No clunk.

On the first shift out of neutral... I upshift to 2nd.  No clunk.  

From then on, I clutch and count to 2 or 3.  No clunk all day. 

Shift around 4k = snick right into gear.  

It seems to like some pressure on the shifter ... and very little clutch pull. 

Latest posts