Future direction of top level motorcycle racing in the US

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=32070

It will be very interesting to see how this is received. I think there will be a lot of huffing and puffing, but, at the end of the day, the reality is that premier roadracing in the US was a complete clusterfuck. Hopefully the new regime will resurrect it with their new plans. Before anyone bitches about the new structure, keep in mind that some define insanity as repeating the same process and expecting a different result. AMA was doing nothing different and nothing was changing. To make it better, it must change. DMG is trying something different and they're looking to appease john q public and not necessarily the current motorcycle roadracing fan or the factories. The current motorcycle roadracing fan will, most likely, watch no matter what. Building the fan base is what will drive outside involvement/sponsorship and that is what is needed to take it to the next level. Hopefully the new regime and new structure will facilitate this.

I really like the hp/weight rule including the rider, I think it could be really good.

Agree 100%, Tom. They need to find a way to make it appealing. There has to be more drama other than 'I wonder which Suzuki is going to win this week'.

Have I missed something or are there no smaller classes listed? 600's 250's 125's? I take it that you don't run those classes now?

We still run the 125's and although the public beg for the 250's to be returned to allow us to develope potential GP riders, there appears to be no plans for it, although I heard somewhere about a one make four stroke 250 class.

It sounds like they are trying to eliminate some of the "overlap". People like me can't tell the difference between the classes. Obviously, true, die hard fans already understand the differences. I guess if they get the classes separated then they can build a base for sponsors to invest and get recognition.

"Yes, my crew did a fantastic job preparing my 'Burger King, Showa, Motul Suzuki' for today's race....."

I thought someone was trying to develop the "single cylinder 650" class for developing new riders. Basically, you buy a frame, body and suspension, then plug in a 650 dual sport engine...

It may not have been AMA sanctioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have I missed something or are there no smaller classes listed? 600's 250's 125's? I take it that you don't run those classes now?
We still run the 125's and although the public beg for the 250's to be returned to allow us to develope potential GP riders, there appears to be no plans for it, although I heard somewhere about a one make four stroke 250 class.
They're trying to make 600 superbike the premier class. They'll run 2 races - 1 on Sat and 1 Sun. They'll still have 1000's but, no purse.

It sounds like they are trying to eliminate some of the "overlap". People like me can't tell the difference between the classes. Obviously, true, die hard fans already understand the differences. I guess if they get the classes separated then they can build a base for sponsors to invest and get recognition.
"Yes, my crew did a fantastic job preparing my 'Burger King, Showa, Motul Suzuki' for today's race....."

I thought someone was trying to develop the "single cylinder 650" class for developing new riders. Basically, you buy a frame, body and suspension, then plug in a 650 dual sport engine...

It may not have been AMA sanctioned.
WERA is doing a 450 super singles class.

I don't stay up to date on motorcycle racing (even though I like to watch it) but I do know something about entertainment.

If they use the NASCAR business model, the major players are going to have to do some thinking out of the box. Series sponsorship $$ are not easy to be had AND they will most likely want some guarantee on ROI. The good ol' boys of motorcycle racing will have to adapt. I'm sure, like any major change, there will be huffing & puffing. It will be up to the new promoters to present their new package in a special way to hopefully satisfy the majority.

Personally, I'd like to see them follow a MotoGP 'kind' of format with premier drivers at 125cc, 250cc, 600cc & 1K. Talent needs to be developed with the youth. IMHO.

They're trying to make 600 superbike the premier class. They'll run 2 races - 1 on Sat and 1 Sun. They'll still have 1000's but, no purse.
Aha, it was the superbike tag that threw me, elsewhere as you know they are 1000's, & the 600's are supersports. It's an accepted theory over here that the route to MotoGP glory is through the 2 strokes not through superbikes 1000's or 600's. There have been a couple of polls on the BSB forum and the unanimous result is that 250's should be brought back to our national series.

We currently have a 125 championship. Our current 125 racers who are making a mark at world level have all started in this then have been diverted off to Spain where there is a 125 accademy for them to flourish in. There has been one here for the last 4 years or so but as soon as they can they go over to Spain as there is a better chance of picking up a good sponsor or getting into a good team over there.

There is by the way an American kid, 16 or so, cutting it in the GP's at the moment, can't remember his name.

Don't you think you guys should be going along that route to bring youngsters into top level racing as soon as possible instead of allowing them to stagnate in the AMA?

There is by the way an American kid, 16 or so, cutting it in the GP's at the moment, can't remember his name.
Don't you think you guys should be going along that route to bring youngsters into top level racing as soon as possible instead of allowing them to stagnate in the AMA?
His name is Stevie Bonsey in 125

We have a 125 and 250 series in the US. It hasn't been around that long and it isn't in the limelight, but, we do have one. The three US riders currently in motogp came up through the superbike ranks (Italy leads with 5, Aussies and Spaniards also have 3). Ben Spies will probably make the move next year.

Perhaps they are thinking of a way to keep them here? No sense investing tons of money in someone just to have them leave once they reach the pinnacle of racing in the US.

Additionally, there is the Red Bull AMA US Rookies cup with spec 125 KTM bikes, spec fuel, and spec tires. They just ran this past weekend at the AMA event at Barber - US riders were 1st, 3rd, 5-9. The rider in 3rd, Hayden Gillim, is Nicky Hayden's cousin.

Additionally, there is the Red Bull AMA US Rookies cup with spec 125 KTM bikes, spec fuel, and spec tires. They just ran this past weekend at the AMA event at Barber - US riders were 1st, 3rd, 5-9. The rider in 3rd, Hayden Gillim, is Nicky Hayden's cousin.
They named him Hayden? :blink:

Its the Red Bull rookies system thats working here and in Europe, they must be investing a lot of wonga. All on KTM's too.

Last edited by a moderator:
They nemed him Hayden? :blink:

Its the Red Bull rookies system thats working here and in Europe, they must be investing a lot of wonga. All on KTM's too.
Yes - investing lots of $$$, but, they'll also get a good return on their investment if the riders excel as they hold contracts on the riders for 5 years. They essentially sell their souls. Example, in the first year, riders are required to compete in the Red Bull MotoGP rookies cup. In the following years, Red Bull decides which series the riders will be in, whether the rider will be utilized as a test or racing rider, and which team the rider will be on. If/when the riders exceed 250K Euro per year, the rider must give Red Bull 10% of the gross for racing activities for 7 years.

Contract can be found here

I think thats a good deal. If you have not cut it in 5 years then its time to think of something else anyway. 10% Isn't such a lot for the leg up you are getting to start with....might have a go myself :lol: One of those things would look like a pen top sticking out of my arse!

Interesting… We'll have to see how all this works out. The few riders they spoke to are playing it PC, no ones going off the deep end…

I like th eothe rclasses too, that's cool.

The single tire deal…. Will this limit competition and development of other tire makers? If the "chosen" tire manufacturer makes crappy tires, all get crappy tires. I remember this issue in NASCAR years back.

Interesting… We'll have to see how all this works out. The few riders they spoke to are playing it PC, no ones going off the deep end…
I like th eothe rclasses too, that's cool.

The single tire deal…. Will this limit competition and development of other tire makers? If the "chosen" tire manufacturer makes crappy tires, all get crappy tires. I remember this issue in NASCAR years back.
I doubt it. At the end of the day, club racers, track day riders, and street geeks are going to look for the tire that performs well for them. If someone makes something better, you catch up or get kicked off the bus.

I wouldn't be surprised if DSB (Daytona Superbike), LB (LiterBike), and Moto-ST each have their own brand rather than having 1 spec tire for all classes.

I mostly want to stay out of the way of these guys and see what they can do, agreeing that what we've got now isn't working as it should be.

BUT -- when I see the 600 proposed as the premier class, it seems to me that they're a lot more interested in preserving the Daytona 200 rather than building racing -- that they're letting that priority move the plans. There's a cart before the horse aspect to that.

I would like to see our classes more aligned with international racing categories. This plan seems to be a bit out of whack with all of them.

Interesting times...