Future FJR Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Hi.  I haven't yet purchased a FJR.  I have a FZ8 at the moment, but at my age and height, it's just too uncomfortable for the long haul.  I have been sizing up an FJR for purchase even back when they were air-cooled in-line fours.  I haven't purchase one yet because one, the good deals have slipped through my fingers, purchased before I could make a deal and two, I am not sure to go with the ES or the A model.  I want a post 2016 because of the 6 speed transmission.  The five speed tranny always dissuaded me from purchasing in the past, made me consider the Kawasaki Concourse instead.  Any suggestions about the ES or A model?  I will rarely ride at night to utilize the special turning lights and will probably only ride solo so electronic suspension will not be used to it's full a­­­­­­­dvantage.  Hoping make a purchase soon looking for a special winter cash deal. 
Rick

Welcome!

Gen III+ bikes have some features not found in earlier bikes.  The ES suspension is the biggest difference other than electronic doodads.  Don't eliminate the 5-speed transmissions.  Not as big a deal as you might think.   Some great deals are out there in both new and used bikes.

Good luck with the hunt for new wheels.

I have a new to me 2014 "A" - 5 speed.

Love the thing, I just wish I had some decent weather to go ride and gain some sMILES on her.

Nothing like that big machine running in 4th over 80mph...zoom zoom

I would go with an A model. I have read next to nothing about issues with the ES suspension, yet I am of the mind set, still, there is less to go wrong suspension wise with the A.  Plus it is easier and less expensive to service yourself.

A lot of people who have an ES don't have to spend the extra cash after the purchase to upgrade fork springs and rear shock, but you are spending the cash in the beginning.  Close to the same money will get you a custom suspension just for you and your riding style with an A.  It all depends on what exactly you want in the handling department.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the group.

Any suggestions about the ES or A model?  I will rarely ride at night to utilize the special turning lights and will probably only ride solo so electronic suspension will not be used to it's full a­­­­­­­dvantage.
I wouldn't base your decision of ES vs A on just solo riding.  For me where and how I ride were the over-riding factors (no pun intended) and I've been happy so far with my choice.

Many others here have faced the same question and if you've got the time do a search from the last few years.  Just as an example, here's one I remember from less than a year ago: https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/176355-thinking-of-moving-to-the-fjr/

I rode the Concours 1000cc machine for 19 years and like the OP, thought the 5 speed FJR transmission might be an issue.

I soon found that I actually preferred it to a 6 speed. My 2013 FJR has so much more torque than the old Concours there's just no issue with having one less gear and I appreciate not having to shift as many times while riding.

All that being said, you really can't go too far wrong with the Concours 1400.

Nothing wrong with the C14.  It may have a little more zip up high.

I love my 2013 FJR with a 5 spd. It may have a little more grunt down low and in the middle.

The suspension was improved also in Gen3s ... 2013 + ... as well as the CC, heated grips, drive modes, etc.  If you wanna save $, buy a Gen 3 A model with a 5 spd.

If you want everything available, buy a 2019 -2020 ES model with extra features ... none of which are required for me.      YMMV

2016A and now 2019A.  110% satisfied.  Even more than my '08AE.  All the same "gen 4", so there is no difference with the 19-20 as in extra features.